PDA

View Full Version : HyperSpin Game List Maker!

RHipple
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know if there is already some program on here that does this, I just know that I could not find one that works for me.

So... I ended up programming my own. :deal:

Would a MOD please contact me so that I can talk with them about promoting it here, I wasn't sure how to post it to the Downloads.

1. Basically, you select the XML Game List you want to create.

2. You select the extension of the ROM file.

3. Select the ROM Directory you want to scan.

4. Then it will create a game list with 3 more clicks!

Best of all, It sorts the games from A, B, C...Z!

(all explained in the help)

Screen Shot:
http://www.geocities.com/ryan_hipple/SS.jpg

Download:
100% Virus Free! (Be sure to scan it after download to be sure!)
http://www.geocities.com/ryan_hipple/GameListCreator.zip (12kb)

Let me know what you think!
ryan_hipple@yahoo.com

NOTES:

bent98 tested it and found a few bugs, I an working to get them sorted out...

Sofar it seems to work best in VISTA!

mildanti
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
sounds good

The Loafer
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
This looks great, we wouldn't be limited to a certain rom set. Very nice.

Dazz
11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
This looks great, we wouldn't be limited to a certain rom set. Very nice.You are still limited to the NO-Intro rom sets because that is what game themes use in their naming.

RHipple
11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I found a major glitch in the last update, anyone who had problems with it crashing try this version.

-I know there arent any version numbers yet, its still pretty much in beta testing... look at the date modified should be 11/04/2008.

-RHipple

RHipple
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
You are still limited to the NO-Intro rom sets because that is what game themes use in their naming.

Im not sure what you mean by "NO-Intro". Please explain.

Thanks

-RHipple

Dazz
11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Im not sure what you mean by "NO-Intro". Please explain.

Thanks

-RHipple

I haven't tested your app yet, but will do very shortly. From what I've seen so far your app functions much like dir2xml. Scans the specified directory and outputs the XML file in a HyperSpin format. Don't get me wrong as it is a very much appreciated application.

No-intro (http://www.no-intro.org/) is a naming convention that HyperSpin uses. No-Intro rom names usually include (USA), (Euro) or any other country within the file name. The official rom sets that HyperSpin themes are named is using the same naming convention that no-intro uses.

What is "No-Intro"?
What "No-Intro" does is fill some .dat files, to be used with ROM-Managers, with information about the known ROMS released. Often there are more versions of the same ROM dump, but most of them are garbage, some examples may include: bad dumps, hacks, fakes, overdumps, underdumps, and so on. "No-Intro" lists only the best available ROM; it must be a full dump with no faults and no changes to the file, basically just the ROMS that are the closest as possible to the original licensed cartridges.

joebells
11-05-2008, 02:46 AM
yeah this is something people definitely want. I don't know if I'd spend a ton of time on it though as BBB is going to be adding list creation to HyperHQ at some point in the(probably not too far off) future.

The Loafer
11-05-2008, 05:45 AM
You are still limited to the NO-Intro rom sets because that is what game themes use in their naming.

I was thinking of this from a console perspective and using a default theme as opposed to individual. That way, if someone doesn't have the no-intro set, has his own rom set and doesn't mind using a default theme, he should be able to generate the relevant game.xml from his list of roms and he/she is ready to go. The user would only need to ensure that whatever rom name is given via his app, whatever matching artwork/flv is named the same. Correct?

Dazz
11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I was thinking of this from a console perspective and using a default theme as opposed to individual. That way, if someone doesn't have the no-intro set, has his own rom set and doesn't mind using a default theme, he should be able to generate the relevant game.xml from his list of roms and he/she is ready to go. The user would only need to ensure that whatever rom name is given via his app, whatever matching artwork/flv is named the same. Correct?Ahh, in that case then yes. If you are not going to be using specific game themes then you can use whatever naming for your roms you want.

Ego-X
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the time you put into this.

If I may make a constructive criticism which I would also direct to dir2xml equally. To make this useful(to me at least) it would need to parse the relevent no-intro XML with each ROM name found in a directory to get the game description, so that it is displayed correctly in hyperspin, having the rom names diplayed in HS looks terrible.

Take it to the next level and i'll be the first to bow before you ;)

RHipple
11-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Progress is not going as fast as id hoped on this, but I am still working on it. Im implementing the NO-Intro parts now, I should have it completed soon.:top:

dakillah
02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Progress is not going as fast as id hoped on this, but I am still working on it. Im implementing the NO-Intro parts now, I should have it completed soon.:top:

Just wondering. Did you in the meanwhile complete that new version with no-intro support?

avioni
08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
this is old but what happend to this any other app like this? I made a gamelist using this app for the SNES but I get a black screen when i enter SNES wheel and i have to ctrl+alt+del and close hyperspin.

Rossman
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
This program does what Hyperlist's dir2xml does... thanks anyways though!

SophT
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
avioni: search for Hyperion (online) or HyperList (app).

When you get a black screen liike that check the log - it probably says invalid XML - meaning something in the database is messed up. I recommend using one of the 2 tools above.

avioni
08-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Thank you SophT, Hyperlist created all my game list and i could start all my super nintendo roms. but nothing happens when i click on any nintendo 64, neo geo , or NES game.

I tryd a PC game (streetfigher 4) and it launched. but in window mode. plus when I exited the game Hyperspin didnt go back. a black screen stayd instead. I alt-tabbed and then hyperspin was back.
I am a newb to this and already read lot of stuff but nothing really helps me much. I need help my msn is avivoni20@hotmail.com in case anyone want to give me a hand. thanks!