PDA

View Full Version : Emulator Problems - Which do you prefer?

MadCoder
02-18-2013, 06:52 AM
I built my cabinet about 1 year ago. I took an old Defender cabinet that was in excellent shape, striped, sanded, painted it. Mounted perfectly placed 26' monitor and everything looked great. At that time I didn't have time to dedicate to Hyperspin so it just ran mame.

Jump forward one year...

After my hearing my kids nag for the past year, I decided to finish my project. Mainly, because my wife gave the OK to build a pincade, but not until I finish this one. She loves pinball. Who don't?
I finally got HS configured, all themes, emumovies, images, etc.. synch'ed (I went over our monthly Comcast 300gb cap doing so). I got all my roms in place, and I thought I
had all my emulators setup, using the guide I found on the forums for Supported Emulators. but I'm having problems.

I need help with the following emulators, and which ones work best, and or, your prefer?

- Snes / NES :: currently use snes9x_64 -
- Atari 26 - 7800 :: which is the best emulator for this system?
- intellivision :: which is the best emulator for this system?
- Colleco :: which is the best emulator for this system?
- NeoGeo :: Not sure if Mame will play neogeo roms ? Neogeo Emulator instead?
- Turbografx :: Not sure about this one either?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brolly
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
snes - bsnes
nes - nestopia (snes9x doesn't emulate nes btw...)
a2600 - stella
intv - nostalgia
coleco - mess
neogeo - mame
tgfx - mednafen

Sir Cyrano
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
For Snes ZSNES is better emulator than snes9x

brolly
02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Zsnes? Not by a chance, that emulator is far from being accurate is full of hacks and is only good to play hacks or badly hacked fan translations that won't run on bsnes or snes9x because they are too accurate.

32assassin
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
you should test your system to see what best works for you.
mednafen works great for me running virtual boy and Lynx, but tgfx is very choppy.

Snes: snes9x v.1.53
NES: Jnes v.1.1
2600: Stella v.3.3
5200: kat 5200 v.0.6.2 (bios needed)
7800: Pro System 1.3 (bios needed)
tgfx: Ootake (bios needed when used with hyperspin)

NeoGeo was just pulled out of the mame system. similar to the way that the Sega 32X was pulled out of the Sega Genesis system. Both NeoGeo and 32x systems use the main system emulator to run the games.

mesk
02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Higan is actually better then bsnes now that it loads all types of roms,and we arent forced into using those foolish cartridge folders :shot:

Other then Higan my list is a exact match to brolly's

DrMoney
02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
+1 to brolly's list with the exception of MESS for Colecovision, I use blueMSX as it looks and runs better and was nowhere near the headache MESS is.

brolly
02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know why that many people say MESS is a headache, it's one the easiest emulators to setup with loads of configuration options :p
blueMSX is also a pretty good option for Colecovision though.

When it comes to snes emulation higan = bsnes so it's the same thing, bsnes already emulated snes with 100% accuracy so there's nothing new on higan apart from the silly cart system (note that I'm using the last version of bsnes without the cart system). I didn't even know byuu decided to allow loading standard roms again, but that only shows how unstable the guy is when it comes to those kind of decisions, one of these days he decides against it... again lol

mesk
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Yea MESS is not hard to setup,its pretty much the same thing as MAME setup.I started using higan because no matter what setting I used with bsnes I got either tearing or audio popping.Also higan comes in both 32 & 64 bit flavors with 3 profiles in each.It comes with accuracy,balanced and performance.I find that balanced is the best cause its,well balanced :) I can have both video and audio sync on and games run silky smooth now with no audio popping at all.Lets just hope byuu doesnt make any more changes to the rom system.Who cares if some people want to use .sfc,others want to use zip,.smc and so on.The more options the better for all

MadCoder
02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Very good insight guys. I appreciate it. The next couple days will be spent testing those. I setup remote access to my mame cabinet so I can work on it from my office. A lot of productivity has been wasted lately.

One last thing.

What about 3DO?

DrMoney
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Headache may not be the term, beginner friendly maybe? I personally don't find it as intuitive but that's me.

Yeah he is pretty indecisive but he did pretty much kickstart this accuracy focused emulator movement so I'll live with the detours.

wilkotheslayer
02-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up for emulator choice guys... I will be using Brolly's selection since he is the vet in this thread. Hopefully i might be able to get my cab working using these emulators.

Cheers

Wilko

MadCoder
02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Higan is actually better then bsnes now that it loads all types of roms,and we arent forced into using those foolish cartridge folders :shot:

Other then Higan my list is a exact match to brolly's

I tried the HiGan last night and it solved all my snes, nes problems. Love it!

Sir Cyrano
02-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Zsnes run all roms snes perfectly (no-intro and hacks roms), there isnīt problem. Also has a lot of options graphics

Willybeamish
02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Sorry to OP for thread jacking..im attempting to get Mame running..is this the best emulator ?? http://mamedev.org/release.html

brolly
02-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Zsnes run all roms snes perfectly (no-intro and hacks roms), there isnīt problem. Also has a lot of options graphics
No it doesn't, Zsnes is far from being an accurate emulator and has loads of issues. I suggest you have a good reading of this article to understand why accuracy matters:
http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Speed focused emulators are only good when you have a crap pc that can't handle cycle accurate emulators.

Sir Cyrano
02-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Ok, I try use Bsnes. A question Bsnes = Higan ?? I donīt find Bsnes emulator, only hygan Wtf ??

nogarth
02-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Ok, I try use Bsnes. A question Bsnes = Higan ?? I donīt find Bsnes emulator, only hygan Wtf ??

its the new name for bsnes that will be why.

zerojay
02-21-2013, 06:26 AM
FourDO for 3DO.