PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the aspect ratio correct when resizing?

gwent
04-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I am in the process of resizing my future pinball tables, and I am a bit confused over the tables' aspect ratio. I am using a 22" widescreen monitor, vertical. Its native resolution is 1680x1050, which is a 16:10 aspect ratio. I'm not quite sure how to size my tables so that they don't appear stretched or squished on my screen. I have taken 2 full-size screenshots of the same table, sized differently, and posted them to imagehost, so people can see what I mean.

In this first screenshot, I have stretched the table horizontally until it is centered and reaches the edges of the screen, then I stretch it vertically until the vertical scale matches the horizontal scale (in this case, 2.04/2.04). I have read that as long as you matched the horizontal and vertical numbers in scale, then the aspect ratio would be correct, so if you stretch it more horizontally, you have to stretch it more vertically to match. Okay, that makes sense to me. If you notice the ball which has been launched, it appears round, as it should. But to me, the table doesn't look "right", and there's lots of space left at the top and bottom of the screen. Also, sized this way, it does not match the screenshot of that table included in the install of hyperpin.

http://f.imagehost.org/0181/image_1.jpg
In the next screenshot, I matched, as close as possible, my sizing to the included hyperpin screenshot: I stretched the table more vertically to reach the top and bottom edges, and to my eyes, this seems to look better and more natural. However, notice the ball that I have launched now: It is shaped more oval, like an egg, and as it is in play, it remains that egg-shape, and look totally wrong, as it is not a perfect sphere. It doesn't look right while rolling. Notice here that the horizontal and vertical scales don't match (2.04/2.59).

http://f.imagehost.org/0654/image_2.jpg

So my question is, how should these tables be sized so the ball remains round and at the same time the table not looking stretched or squished in? I do understand about aspect ratios, and that's why I am confused as to how to fit this correctly on screen. Does a 16:10 monitor just not work well? Is it meant for 16:9? I tried switching the future pinball resolution to 1600x900, which is 16:9, but when it launches, it still fills the screen all-around. When I watch a 16:9 video, it plays as 16:9 with letterboxing at the top and bottom to fit correctly, but future pinball seems to want to fill the screen no matter what.

Any ideas or advice would be very greatly appreciated, as I don't want to size any more tables until I know I'm doing it right. What are others here doing about this? Is this just something that has no easy answer? I know all tables will be different, but is there some guideline I should be going by? Thanks in advance for reading this loong post.

BadBoyBill
04-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Well the ball might look oval sort of because your looking straight down at the screenshot, but I bet if you were standing at a cab the ball wont appear as much so due to where your standing.

gwent
04-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Are other people here getting the oval-shaped ball? Is this to be expected then? Is the second image the way I should be fitting the table?

brycej
04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Are other people here getting the oval-shaped ball? Is this to be expected then? Is the second image the way I should be fitting the table?

This is the way that I fit my table. I try to make the table as tall as possible as this is closer to the correct aspect ratio for a pinball table. The ball does not look as oval shaped when you are actually playing the table.

ccarlesco
04-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I've noticed the same thing. I'm using a 16:9 ratio LCD TV so the problem is not the 16:10 ratio.

I wonder if this is not by design? The stretched ball might look more natural then a perfectly round ball when viewed from the end of the table.

gwent
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
My monitor rotates vertically, and also allows me to tilt it until the screen faces the ceiling if I want to, so I can position it perfectly to my other 4:3 monitor, and I have a nice make-shift pinball setup. So as I am looking down on it, it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. The ball is still oval-shaped, and it drives me nuts. It sort of ruins the whole experience for me, because if the ball was really oval, it wouldn't be rolling properly. It just looks very strange. I can't believe that Future Pinball can't render a round ball if you stretch the table. And some tables stretch differently, making the ball even more oval-shaped. I would think that the rendering of the ball should be independent of how the table is displayed, because the monitor's resolution is set in FP - it should be able to create a round ball regardless of how the table is stretched. Maybe they overlooked that? I wish I could do something about the ball, because other than that, I am loving hyperspin and FP.

BadBoyBill
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe you should post a requeset over at the FP forums to see if theres anything that could be done about it, he probably knows of the issue, and maybe nothing can be done, or maybe it can. I dont really see to much of an issue on my setup, maybe slightly oval but it doesnt ruin my experience.

gwent
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Okay, I just posted the issue at the FP forums, I'll see what comes out of that. I get the feeling that not much can be done though. Maybe that's something they can address at some point, if there's time? For now, I guess there is really no way of knowing for sure if the table is sized exactly right? It seems that you just kind of have to go by eye and see what looks good. I appreciate the responses. If anybody else has any input, please chime in. Thanks.

Cameron
04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I hope that there can be a slight correction made. It isn't the biggest problem in the world, but it is noticeable. Over on the FP forum they mentioned that if you have your monitor laying at an angle similar to a real pin, it will be less noticeable. I am not so sure about that, but have yet to try it on my UP.

gwent
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I've tried it at an angle, and it didn't make any difference to me. Still looked like an egg. I really hope they can find a solution for this.

Cameron
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah I am coming across the same thing really. It isn't the biggest problem in the world. Hopefully Black does address it at some point.

volumetric
11-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Well the ball might look oval sort of because your looking straight down at the screenshot, but I bet if you were standing at a cab the ball wont appear as much so due to where your standing.

Hey BBB, im playing with a vertical screen (straight up and down, not a flat cabinet screen) and i too am suffering from pinegg problems, just a quick thought, if the egg like ball of FP looks flat from your cabinet playing perspective, does the VP ball (which looks perfectly round to me in full screen) look squashed?

settingsons
11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
There is a solution. Here it is over at VPForums. Makes the world of difference.

How to: Change FP arcaderender angle and lighting.........
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=7097&hl=arcade+render

volumetric
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
There is a solution. Here it is over at VPForums. Makes the world of difference.

How to: Change FP arcaderender angle and lighting.........
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?sh...=arcade+render

This does the job perfectly. You sir, are a king amongst men (Rawd too). Just a note, if you are using a 16:10 screen, changing the value to 466 should give you a round ball.

settingsons
11-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks volumetric - glad you like it. Round Pinball Perfection - just as it should be. Cheers