Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HyperMatch - Simple ROM Matching & System Auditing

HyperBase Destroyer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool HyperMatch - Simple ROM Matching & System Auditing

HyperMatch 1.0, Ronald L. Harsh
    A utility designed for simple ROM matching against HyperSpin databases.

Introduction:

Okay, I'm back again this time with a brand new invention (no not a play on Vanilla Ice) that might help my fellow gamers setup their HyperSpin ROMS more efficiently. Now for those of you whom don't know me my name is Ronald or "rain" here on the forums and I am a computer software designer whom programs applications designed mostly for video gaming. I have tried a lot of the other systems out there and I am not sure about you guys but I personally don't feel safe using bulk renamers (as they tend to do more harm than good, and promote an all around sense of laziness.) So, I rebuilt an application that I orignally programmed back in 2010 that help me setup my HyperSpin setup (consisting of over 92 seperate systems) HyperMatch allows you to audit your systems individually to find missing ROM files (as they pertain to the HyperSpin databases), it then allows you to run a fuzzy match on the missing file, and then you can either remove the missing game from you HyperSpin database, rename a file or disregard it all together. I have used this program for a few years now, but just now got around to coding it for HyperSpin 2.0 databases.

Setting Up HyperMatch:

HyperMatch must be ran from the HyperSpin root folder (as it reads your database & settings files), so whenever you download the application make sure you unzip it to the correct folder otherwise HyperMatch will not work.

The User Interface:

Whenever you first open HyperMatch you will see a basic window that displays a list of the systems it has detected were in your HyperSpin installation, from this interface you can scan a system, rename ROM files, delete missing ROM files from your system database. (see fig 1)

Using the drop down menu you should then select a system in which you would like to audit, once you have done so you will then click on the button labeled 'Audit System.' After a few moments (depending upon the size of your database) you will then see a list of missing ROM files appear in the top window. (see fig 2)

Once your missing ROM files list has been populated you can then click on an item and choose which action you wish to perform on the file such as Fuzzy Match or Remove From Database. If you would like to run a name search on the missing file you can than set the Fuzzy Match tolerance to a desired percentile (I personally use 0.4), and then click the button labeled 'Fuzzy Match.' After which your ROM folder is scanned for a list of potential ROM's that might be misnamed. (see fig 3)

Once the list of potential matches has been populated you can then click on the ROM name from the bottom list and select the button labeled 'Rename Selected.' Once you have done so you will then be asked for confirmation, provided you choose yes than the file will be renamed to the new database compliant name. (see fig 4 & 5)

The same process as above is used whenever removing files from a HyperSpin database.

A Word of Caution:

HyperMatch was not designed to handle MAME renaming, please do not use this tool in attempt to make your MAME database compliant, there are much better tools suited for that such as ClrMamePro. Using this application on MAME will 100% screw it up, so never, ever do it!

Alterior Motives:

I do have a slight alterior motive for releasing this application though I am a bit ashamed to admit it. Currently I am involved in the programming of a huge application (for HyperSpin users of course) and it requires a great amount of processing power to sort through hundreds of XML files, process an entire online API (of which I am also developing), and since my computer was broken due to a processor meltdown I have been using a very old computer Pentium 800Mhz w/512MB RAM, 64MB video card which is just not enough power to develop a massive application such as what I am working on. Though I cannot get into what I am programming, or what it will be used for I will say this, it will make everybody's life a lot easier with the setup and installation of new systems into HyperSpin. I do not really complain much about programming on such an old PC, I normally just grin and bear it but a typical compile of the program I work on takes about eight minutes (and I have to do about fifty compiles a day), and loading the IDE takes about ten whole minutes. So, I have provided a link on this application which will allow you to donate to help contribute to a fund in which I will use to purchase a more modern computer so I can really devote myself to this new project in a manner more suiting to my capacities.

If you ever need help with something, than I am the man who can do it; I will remote connect with anybody, and do anything within my capabilities for a $1 donation - I am really that desperate. Now, please don't think that I am begging or panhandling but I can fix anything software related, and for those of you whom I have already worked for you I hope that I have already demonstrated that too you; I don't give up, I don't take failure as an option at all, if it's broken, if you can't get it installed, if you can't figure it out than I can and I will provide you support of a most excellent quality. So for those of you whom can afford to help me out, I greatly thank you; and for those of you whom do not have the funds that is alright too, I thank you as well. I am glad that I have been able to help so many of you out with your questions and issues, that is a reward in and of itself!

All of that aside, I hope that this application helps someone out, it is my pleasure to be able to give this to you. Thanks guys, your the best!

Download Attached File (version 1.0a)

Make A Donation

Below is a list of donors whom have helped in my cause, I would like to thank you all very much with this, if/when I am able to get a newer computer I just want you guys to know it is because of you, and that I will work hard to help you out for many more years too come; so my hat's off to you. Thanks for all that you have given!

Donors (Thanks for your continued support!):

jumpstile

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.png 
Views:	914 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	14990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	850 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	14991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot3.png 
Views:	951 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	14992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot4.png 
Views:	710 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	14993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot5.png 
Views:	601 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	14994  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot6.png 
Views:	584 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	14995  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by djvj; 06-08-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Attached file as link was bad

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rain For This Useful Post:

craiganderson (02-24-2014), Hieiken (08-31-2013), horseyhorsey (04-10-2012), johnnyr (07-23-2013), LLawliet86 (01-09-2014), manicshere (03-29-2013), rakkasan69 (04-12-2012), sonofdan (04-10-2012)

Elite Member

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Will test in a bit , thanks.

I'd gladly ship you some dollar if you can make an improved app like HyperSpin XML Bidouilleur. Being able to select multiple entries and change genre etc like you would in an app like xmlspy. Overhaul the genre section that he hasn't got working in that app. There's allready about 4 apps including clrmame that renames just fine, roms, art etc.

I'd love to be able to do it myself but instead I'll resort in just asking for it.

Rock On!
    Thanks

Thanks, Rain! I'll definitely be checking this out.

- J*

HyperBase Destroyer
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

This application is designed to compare your romset against the HyperSpin database, it is not an XML generator or editor. It's main goal in it's life cycle is to attempt to help users better know what ROM files they are missing. It helps users to conform their ROM files to their HyperSpin database, nothing more, nothing less. It does not do genre, it does not due art, nor will it every. It is just a tool that I designed to do a task primarily aimed at myself. I could easily program an application like the one you suggested, just that I am tied up with a much larger project at the moment (for the HyperSpin community.) Thanks for you comment. =)

Elite Member

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry man, you did make it perfectly clear on what your app did in your main post.

I could easily program an application like the one you suggested
    I know, this is why is asked you . I've seen your w.i.p for the much larger project, good luck with that!

HyperBase Destroyer
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks horsey!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Will give this a test later on tonight. Hey rain did you get my pm I think I figured out the problem somewhat

HyperNewbie

Thanks

Is application available for download? Seems the media fire link is dead. Thanks a bunch!

HyperNewbie

Thanks

Cant download either

Lurker

Thanks

Would love to download this where can i get it link is broken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast