Thread: Arcade cabinet plans/blueprints ?

Lurker
    Thanks

Default Arcade cabinet plans/blueprints ?

I'm getting the X-Arcade Tankstick, does anyone have the plans to an arcade cabinet that will fit it? I'm going to be taking them to Lowes & having them to do the woodwork fyi.

I also have another question; What is the standard monitor size? 24" ? Whatever it is, I'd like for the cabinet to be able to fit at least 22" max, I have a smaller monitor I may use in the meantime though.

Thanks!

Thanks

You're gonna have Lowes do all the woodwork for your cab? Will they even do that? I know places like Lowes and Home Depot give you like two free cuts when you buy wood there then charge a fee for each additional cut (or something like that) but I figured it was mostly just cutting things to length, not anything as complicated as the cuts on an arcade cabinet. Have you considered getting a kit like from mameroom.com (aka North Coast Customs)?

Wicked Smaaht
    Thanks

As was mentioned, you might be better off buying a precut kit. Personally I enjoy the build process and I think if you're going to go to a hardware store and buy the materials from scratch, why not cut and build it yourself. I think the most Lowes would be able to do is straight cuts to your MDF. When I went the only cuts I had them do was chop a huge board into quarters so that I could fit it in my trunk.

Thanks

Yeah exactly, I've had them cut 8 foot 2x4's down so I could get them in my trunk, that sort of thing. I don't *think* they do more complicated carpentry, but maybe I'm wrong (or maybe you've already talked to someone at your local store who said they'd do it for you). The people that work there seem to be "jack of all trades" sort of people, who can fire up a saw and cut 2 feet off a 2x4 for ya, but I don't know if I'd trust them do do a whole cabinet for me.

If not a kit, you could pick out a plan and talk to someone with a CNC table like Mameman and ask what they'd charge to cut the pieces out for you.

Wicked Smaaht
    Thanks

In my experience, when you build it yourself the first cuts are not always perfect 100% of the time. Something always could use an adjustment or may change. Thats why investing in a good jigsaw & router can really help. Having a table saw to boot is a plus. I'm sure the basic strait cuts could be done at a hardware store but specific things like a spot to hold the tank stick should really be done with your jigsaw.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I tired going to lowes and home depot some time ago, they would only do straight cuts nothing curved or beveled. A router has now become my best friend lol.