Thread: project on hold for a little while :(

Thanks

Default project on hold for a little while :(

Hiya guys

Well, I have taken the decision to put this on hold for a week or two, so I can do a few things to it and TRY to get my head around hyperspin!

Main reason for this is the plexiglass, had the SMALLEST possible hiccup yesterday, I leant the whole thing forwards onto a cardboard box, and although I cannot quite believe it, it has scratched the bloody thing!

Its taken what I believe to be a very small hairline scrape off the tint, but it is unbelievable how much it actually notices!

I work just around the corner from a glazier, so for £20.00 I have gone for a polished piece of 4mm toughened glass, which will be a lot more scratch resistant and has no chance of breaking easily!

im also replacing the front panel, as the amplifier was making so much noise yesterday no matter what I did, that I took a rubber mallet to it!

Suffice to say, it doesn't work at all now, and I cut a piece out of the board to make it all fit nicely so its a new piece going back in, which is kind of good in a way, as I am fitting one of the 3 buttons in one from Gremlin for some added button pushing, they look retro too, bit like SIMON SAYS game from the 80s lol

i've lost the momentum a little, Hyperspin is for now beyond me, it shows how old im getting lol

I thought the 1.0v was an exe file, turns out you just copy the whole dir to the drive where you want it, and then update it lol, I have managed that, but its getting it all working that I am going to struggle with, I have asked a few questions to people, going to need some help on this I think

Have a good weekend guys, catch you early next week

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,228 Times in 81 Posts

Between searching this site and our Documents there shouldn't be many issues in getting everything setup and running.

http://hyperspin-fe.com/oldsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&It emid=55

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperami View Post
    I work just around the corner from a glazier, so for £20.00 I have gone for a polished piece of 4mm toughened glass, which will be a lot more scratch resistant and has no chance of breaking easily!
    Much better idea. I wish in retrospect that i had done that, but i replaced so many of the original parts of that kit that had i replaced the plexi for glass, the 2 sides would have been the only major parts left, and with what it cost me for the kit i would have been really p*ssed off. Lol. Never again....

I am fitting one of the 3 buttons in one from Gremlin for some added button pushing, they look retro too, bit like SIMON SAYS game from the 80s lol
    Good idea, they are VERY handy. The simon says game was the first thing i thought of when i saw them, i still have one of those stowed away in the attic somewhere, lol..

I took one of those buttons apart and was considering spraying the casing white to match the colour of the 1 and 2p start buttons, then putting it all back together, but i never bothered in the end, i just stayed with black. You could also very easily design a circular graphic to go around the outside of it, to explain what each of the 3 buttons do on your cab. Just put a 28 mm hole in it and print it on decent laminated adhesive labels, cut it out, and stick it on before you fix the button in the hole.

i've lost the momentum a little, Hyperspin is for now beyond me, it shows how old im getting lol.....its getting it all working that I am going to struggle with, I have asked a few questions to people, going to need some help on this I think
    I was new to hyperspin when i started my last cab. The best advice i can give you is buy FTP access and download the whole lot in one go, the small amount you pay is worth it for no hassle. You could get the complete "hyperspin project" torrent file (100GB+) and delete/hide the systems you dont' want in your config. That has 99% of the work done for you, you just need to find the roms in the right format/naming convention and away you go.

Failing that, get a copy from someone of their working hyperspin folder. A lot of the setup issues i had with my HS was that i was getting roms, images, artwork, applications, settings, etc from lots of different sources online, and it was a huge headache to rename and replace everything and edit all the XMLs so that everything was working off the same list. That, in addition to actually figuring out hyperspin's folder structure and how it all worked took me a lot of time. I made slow, gradual progress, but it was hard work at times, and all i wanted was to be finished.

When you're putting hyperspin together, be patient, and make sure you back it all up regularly along the way.
    Last edited by Mackdaddi; 04-27-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks

Cheers for the help guys appreciated really!

One thing I didnt understand unless im being completely stupid is the update on roms and CHD files

For instance, I have the comeplete mame set of 0.145 inc CHDs, so I get the update files roms 0.145 to 0.145u6 and the same for the CHDs apart from they are 0.145u4

Does MAME the program need updating as well?

Now, in some of the ROMS, for instance ddp2.zip (havent got the files in front of me so this is from memory which is shot lol) the u6 file update has a japan file in it I think, but its not present in the normal 0.145 so if I copy it across, it will delete whats there already and put that in its place, and that will not work will it?

Same with some of the CHD files, much smaller in size but the same name, so this is correct?

Dont want to start updating mame and roms/CHDs if its going to screw it all up lol

Thanks

I have the comeplete mame set of 0.145 inc CHDs, so I get the update files roms 0.145 to 0.145u6 and the same for the CHDs apart from they are 0.145u4

Does MAME the program need updating as well?

....Dont want to start updating mame and roms/CHDs if its going to screw it all up lol
    Is there a specific reason you want to be on Mame 1.46 rather than Mame 1.45? Is there a game or feature or compatibility update or something? because if i was you in that situation, i would just download Mame 1.45 and use that with the complete set you have. Unless you have a decent reason for updating, i wouldn't bother. Messing around with rom sets is a right pain in the a*se, and the general concensus seems to be that mame has actually gotten worse with each new release after a certain point.

I'm firmly rooted in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thinking when it comes to updating IT stuff.

Seriously, though, I can't help you much on how to do this, other than suggesting not doing it. I run 4 or 5 different sets of mame roms on various machines from 0.96 to 1.42, and i came by the ones on my HS cab from a backup of a friend's emulators folder, so i didn't config them myself. All i know is to make sure your roms are in the right format or you'll hit problems. Individually packaged roms, not merged sets, i think is what hyperspin likes.
    Last edited by Mackdaddi; 05-01-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks

ok well thats what I thought to be honest, leave it as is, is ELEVATOR ACTION a working rom, it used to be! Also, is there a way around the PRESS OK on a new setup that will drive me MAD!

Thanks

...is there a way around the PRESS OK on a new setup that will drive me MAD!
    Yes. There's an option to disable them in the preferences in the GUI version Mame32, or if you're using a Mame command line version you can edit the mame.ini file. You want to set the skip disclaimer and skip game info to 1 instead of 0 or yes instead of no or whatever, save and close the file. The .ini file is the core configuration options file. Versions of mame that have an interface will rewrite this file for you automatically based on the preferences you pick with your mouse in the program's interface, command line versions need it to be manually edited and saved.

Google it. You'll find a thread about it in 5 minutes, it's one of the very common niggles with mame that everyone wants to get rid of early on. You can't get rid of the "this game doesn't work" message, but you can move your joystick left/right to dismiss it instead of typing OK.

This link has the info in it, but you may want to google for a simpler explanation depending on your level of tech savviness or not.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16513476/M...d-Line-Options

PS-what you need is somewhere towards the bottom.