Thread: hinged door from the bottom instead of back

Thanks

Default hinged door from the bottom instead of back

Hello,

I noticed most everyone creates their cab with the hinged door on the back, and a pull out tray for 'some' access. It seems this is somewhat limiting, as much remains not easily accessible. Also, the machine must be pulled out from the wall. If you have a monitor that lifts like a playfield (37"), it seems that access is not an issue. However, with a slotted 46", it seems problematic to gain access to everything. I was thinking of building where the bottom of the cab hinges down, granting wide-open access to everything below the screen. I recall seeing a photo of somebody having done this, but can't find that thread now. Does anyone know of the cabinet build I am referring to?

My initial though is that the bottom would be built normally (using the standard widebody plans), than reinforced inside and out around the edges with 1"x2" trim along the sides and 1"x4" on the ends, then cut out the rest. The cutout would have just about everything mounted directly to it (other than contactors, motor, flashers...). It would be hinged along one of the sides and all wiring jacks will converge on that side. I suspect I would need one or two internal cross beams as well, but I believe I can integrate that as part of the 46" screen reinforcement.

Anyone have thoughts on this idea?

Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks

I saw that build..but don't remember which one it is. Personally, while this may seem useful, in practice it would be a real pain to actually work on having to be under the cabinet possibly having to work up into it. Kind of like working under a car. That's why they make those lifts for them because laying down and working on something right above you isn't exactly easy.

Elite Member
    Thanks

Yeah, having to pull the 46" TV out of the cabinet is a real pain, but luckily I don't have to do it very often anymore. The idea of getting access to all the components is appealing, but as Zab mentioned, it would be a real pain having to do all your work under the cab. It might be worth it to just deal with sliding the TV out when you need to work on it.

That being said, I look forward to seeing what you come up with if you do decide to pursuit this idea.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	15559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	15560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	15561

i see some people slot the sides of the cab then slide the monitor....i didnt like that in case i had to work on it.....also didnt like the tray in the back.....made a nice rail system for mine and can have it out in less than 30 seconds......but to each his own! just found it easier for me.

Thanks

if i recall its the twin 46" screen build that has the trap door.

granted pulling out the pc tray from the back is a pain, but once you have it setup and have an external way of accessing the usb port, how many times do you really need to go into it?

Your right the hinge up playfield that i have started doing on the 37, and 42 machines is a nice way to go. I still make a removable door on the back for those also for accessing things easily from the back (also makes mounting the hinge assembly possible).

The other option i have been toying with is getting away from the more traditional shape pins and having more of a upright cabinet at the back of the pin that can house everything you need and getting away from having the area under the playfield being 15" deep. it would in theroy only need to be deep enough to house the screen and say your feedback devices. the sub etc could go into the upright unit at the back. you could even in theroy make it pivot so the entire playfield hinges up and stores against the wall.
    PM me for any custom CNC needs.
    Find me on Facebook.. Xtreme Pinball or www.xtremepinball.com
    Ipad pinball cabinet iFlipper Here:
    See the Doctor Who build Here.... / See the Tron build Here.... / See the BattleStar Galactica build Here....
    See the Big Bang Bar build Here.... / See the Twilight Zone build Here....
    CNC Work Here.....

Thanks

Yea, don't get me wrong. Not saying it couldn't be useful as an option, just not sure that you'd want to make it your primary way of accessing the cab.

Thanks

I like the "floating installation possibility" of the lcd-screen with slotted cabs. the screen lays completely on foam, no direct connection or contact to the cab (decoupled). I simply get a better sleep with this installation method, especially when using shaker and huge bass systems I think the look and feel is also more bezel-less with the slotted variant and like mameman said, once you have it setup and have an external way of accessing the usb port, how many times do you really need to go into it.
    cheers
    chris

46" visual pinball widebody * taito egret 29 candy cabs * indy & star wars pachinkos
    17" bartop with ledwiz rgbleds * 10" bubble bobble & galaga bartop * arm champs 2
    check out hi-res backglasses * best vpin performance * ledwiz config and software

Thanks

matt..here is the link you were looking for
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=14734&st=80

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebarlow99 View Post
    matt..here is the link you were looking for
    http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=14734&st=80
    That's the one. Thanks! This example is what I was planning. From what he is saying, it works well. I will ask him how well it has worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablon View Post
    <snip> in practice it would be a real pain to actually work on having to be under the cabinet possibly having to work up into it. Kind of like working under a car<snip>
    I had considered that I would have to be on the floor and reaching up. @ 6'4", it is not a comfortable position. I just would really like to never have to pull the 46" screen. I have a 58" on my Mame, the few times I had to move the screen, I had a constant sense of dread. The idea of total unencumbered access to all points is very appealing. My thought was for future updates, more than repair. I would be adding new toys/updates as time goes on. Unlike the VP Cab spiritual leaders (Mameman and Chriz99) , I don't see myself building additional VPs, just this one, so upgrades are likely to happen. Heck- by the time I get this put together, LedWiz will be (is already?) obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by ebarlow99 View Post
    i see some people slot the sides of the cab then slide the monitor....i didnt like that in case i had to work on it.....also didnt like the tray in the back.....made a nice rail system for mine and can have it out in less than 30 seconds......but to each his own! just found it easier for me.
    No doubt your option is clearly the easier and most functional way. However, I want to fill the widebody cab with as much screen as possible, with as little bezel as possible. The only way to achieve this is either cut or slotted sides and a 46"/47".

Quote Originally Posted by mameman View Post
    <snip>The other option i have been toying with is getting away from the more traditional shape pins<snip>
    Looking forward to seeing that. I considered something completely outside the traditional design, but for my first (and likely only) VP build, I wanted to mimic as close as possible, what I consider the pinnacle of pinball history- the Williams/Bally Superpins (and other non-widebodies of that general era).

Quote Originally Posted by chriz99 View Post
    I like the "floating installation possibility" of the lcd-screen with slotted cabs. the screen lays completely on foam, no direct connection or contact to the cab (decoupled). I simply get a better sleep with this installation method, especially when using shaker and huge bass systems <snip>
    I had the exact concern about the shaker, though had not considered the sub. Is there already a thread on this subject? I guess just cut the slot 1/2" or so larger than the screen width and let it rest, on foam, ...on the cross-members (?)