Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Don's HyperSpin Auto File Renamer - Need your input

3rd Party Developer
    Thanks

Default Don's HyperSpin Auto File Renamer - Need your input

It seems to be a common theme in the forums where users are requesting help on renaming their ROMsets to work with HyperSpin. The common suggestion is clrmamepro. While it is a powerful tool and has many features, it is not very intuitive to use and has of setup overhead just to rename files.

As a result I will be including an easy to use file auto-renamer in the next version of Don's HyperSpin List Generator. I would like to get your feedback on if there are any extra features you would like in this new tool (beyond what I have mentioned below).

Overview:
    Think of this app as a simplified version of clrmamepro tailored for HyperSpin and to have one purpose, rename your ROMs. Unlike clrmamepro, you will not need to use any more dat files since the HyperSpin XML files now contain the need tags for renaming.

This new tool will require very little overhead to setup and run. Unlike several other renaming tools, this one does not need to do any guessing if the file name is correct as it verifies files based off of CRC and not by if the filename is similarly named..

In just be a click or two, your files will be renamed. You only need to enter in 3 fields:

1) Your HyperSpin XML file
    2) Source directory (the directory where your newly downloaded ROMs exist),
    3) Destination directory (the directory where your HyperSpin friendly ROMS will be created)
    4) Click "Rename" and wait

Features:
    1) 7z and zip support
    2) Option to automatically compress (or uncompress) your files after they have been renamed.
    3) Supports reading compressed files that have multiple versions of ROMs in it (e.g. GoodMerge)
    4) A sortable preview table showing all the actions that will be applied.
    5) Generates an exported list of games that have been converted, and a list of games that are still missing
    (exported in both HTML and CSV [for spreadsheets]).

In case you were wondering, here is how it works:
    It reads the CRC tag in your HyperSpin XML. If your HyperSpin XML does not have values in the CRC tags, this tool will not work (you may want to consider updating your HyperList). clrmamepro operates in a similar fashion as it verifies that the CRC of the file matches the CRC in the dat file.
    Many tools rename files based on filename pattern matching. This can lead to false positives. I have used several apps which will predict the wrong game just because more characters matched. If you are matching by CRCs, you know you have the right file.

Caveat:
    While this tool will be great for many console-based systems, it will not be best for MAME, due to the rapidly changing climate of their ROMset. When changing around your ROMset in MAME, you need that added functionality and overhead from clrmamepro.

API has been written. I just need to create the simple GUI and test.
    Last edited by emb; 07-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emb For This Useful Post:

DR9 (07-24-2012), gstav (07-15-2012), Hunk_4TH (07-22-2012), jackhammersalm (07-18-2012)

Thanks

Cant wait for this Iv been sorting out my roms the past couple of days using clrmamepro and its not very intuitive at all, especially with my N64 roms.

I think its something to do with byteswapped files as this changed the CRC? Maybe your renamer could check this also? As the XML CRC matching will be thrown off.
    Last edited by brownvim; 07-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Demonic Skull
    Thanks

Same for me! This would be a life saver!

John

Thanks

I noticed gameboy advance Roms have really long files names and can hit the character limit causing an error in clrmamepro.
    But the program doesn't state what the error is, I wasn't aware of a character limit (noob to this) so was confused. Maybe your program could just let the user know what happened?

3rd Party Developer
    Thanks

Preliminary screenshots. Any constructive feedback or ideas are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renamer2.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	18500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renamer1.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	18499  
    Last edited by emb; 07-17-2012 at 06:47 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to emb For This Useful Post:

DR9 (07-24-2012)

Lurker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emb View Post
    Preliminary screenshots. Any constructive feedback or ideas are appreciated.
    I love the Layout (I can't mess up one button!). Warning this next part may sound real dumb. I don't know what the "Recursive Search" does. I looked it up and it looks like a search that goes on for ever? Maybe add an explanation next to it. That's all I have as far as nitpicks.

It looks great, cant wait to give it a try.

HyperBase Destroyer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 327 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Emb, epic level achieved! If you need access to any API's to retrieve official list or anything man just ask and I will get you the data you need. I love your work; you are very creative and that is what counts on here brother! Your a beast!
    Last edited by Rain; 07-17-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Nice man!
    Download every Theme all at once with FTP access! FTP accounts are now created automatically when you upgrade your account.

My Cabs:

Thanks

hello this will be really great

Thanks

I have found over the past year since I started messing with Hyperspin that the disc based systems are the biggest hassle to rename. Matching ISO/BIN files to their associated CUE files can be a brutal task. I found some AHK scripts online a while back that helps with this task, but it still included a lot of manual effort. Any automated feature on this front would get you nominated for sainthood, IMO. Thanks for taking the time to develop these tools, much appreciated!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast