Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix it Felix Jr. - The Game

Thanks

Default Fix it Felix Jr. - The Game

RidicRick started a Fix it Felix Jr topic over in the Cabinet Forum, and since it's more geared towards the physical cabinet, art, etc. I decided to start a topic here to have a place to discuss the actual software, answer questions, etc.

Table of Contents

This Post - Original Game Concepts and Other Material
    1. First Concept Video by Joe Pitt
    2. Video Preview of Fix it Felix Jr in Cabinet
    3. Video of Fix it Felix Jr Cabinet by DisneyAnimation
    4. Other Material

1st Post - The Official CodeMystics' Version --- (2013.04.08 Leak)
    1. Command Line Arguments
    2. Controls
    3. Mods/Extras
    4. Notes

2nd Post - BadBoyBill's Version
    1. Known Features
    2. Pictures
    3. Video Previews

3rd Post - Sjaak's Version
    1. Known Features
    2. Pictures
    3. Video Previews

Original Game Concepts and Other Material

First Concept Video by Joe Pitt
    This initial concept video created by Joe Pitt shows a first look at what Fix it Felix Jr could have looked like. Notice how different the characters looked and how they have progressed into what we now know them as.

Video Preview of Fix it Felix Jr in Cabinet

This video taken by YouTube user DaMouse shows that by the D23 Expo in 2011, character designs for Ralph had reached what we see him as in the movie. Some differences to notice are some of Ralph's movements.
    Name:  28RALPH3-sfSpan.jpg
Views: 10327
Size:  25.0 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28RALPH4-articleInline-v2.jpg 
Views:	10324 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	26042
    In this version you can see that Ralph walks and throws his first punch different than in the Official release, they are more complex animations. Wayne Unten, animator, would change this later to make it look more stiff and simple to try to be closer to games of the eraSource.

We get a first look at what gameplay will be like, the powerups, movement, objectives; we see for the first time as early as this, that the designers wanted it to included a "Super Felix". We are also given a glimpse of of Ralph's role in the game which sets the plot in motion for why he wants things to change so much, after being thrown off the roof time and time again.

As a side note: the cabinet shown in this video is not a Nintendo based cabinet as all the other ones that were produced later would be. It appears to be based off of a classic Namco or Midway design.

Video of Fix it Felix Jr Cabinet by DisneyAnimation

By the time that Disney Animation Studios released this mock-vhs-ripped video; character voices, sound effects, animations, and sprite designs had been solidified and integrated into what the film would canonically use for features of the game. Many of these enhancements seen in this version of the game are not included in the Official release.

It's interesting to note that at 0:07, on the marque for the theatre, they show the 2nd character design for Felix (this sprite can also be seen on the final cabinet design on the CPO).
    A cool feature in all the versions shown is that when Felix grabs a pie he goes into a "Super" mode, allowing him to fix automatically any window he passes over. It also seems the Felix gets increased speed while in turbo mode. This feature never came to fruition in the Official release, as noted by observing the sprite sheets. The Official release's Super Felix made his hammer and hat flash making him invincible to all harmful obstacles on the screen and what seems to be a slight speed boost in movement and fixing.

Other Material
    • Did you know that there could possibly be a Fix it Felix Sr. arcade game? In this pencil test Felix makes reference to his father at about the 0:30 mark, "NoOO! My name is on that game, just like my father's name was on his."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wir1.jpg 
Views:	15180 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	26040

• Did you know awesome artist, Nightmare Bruce, has made a pretty impressive NES Cart Label for a retro Fix it Felix Jr? Check it out here, and other cool Wreck it Ralph inspired carts!
    Last edited by frostyfire03530; 04-24-2013 at 12:23 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostyfire03530 For This Useful Post:

Bag of Magic Food (04-25-2013), Hunk_4TH (07-01-2014)

Thanks

The Official CodeMystics' Version --- (2013.04.08 Leak)

Requires .NET Framework 3.5 to run properly (Up for debate, some Windows XP users have had difficulty running the application, but after installing the 3.5 .NET Framework they could launch the application without issue, other users have said that is should not be needed).

UPDATE:
    For those trying to run this on a WindowsXP machine and getting a configuration error, you need to download and install VC++2008 redistributable files. This allows the game to finally start up. VC++2010 and VC++2012 did not have the correct files to run it. -TheBasement
    This software was built using CodeMystic's FOCAL Emulation Technology (an acronym for Flow-Optimised Code AnaLysis).

Command Line Arguments
    force [ Unknown use. ]
    -fullscreen [ Force the game to start in fullscreen. ] [SEE NOTE 01]
    -network=<ip address> [ Used to connect the game to a server. ]
    -playback [ Unknown use. ]
    -rotate=<value 0,90,180,270> [ Force the game to start rotated. ]
    -settings [ Unknown use. ]
    -user [ Unknown use. ]
    -zoom=<value 33, 50, 100, 200> [ Force the game to start in specified size. ]

-zoom Effective Frame Resolution
    Zoom: Supports Fullscreen on load: Resolution (Heighth x Width):
    33 No 210x158
    50 Yes 320x240
    100 Yes 640x480
    200 No 1280x960

Controls
    C Insert Coin
    1 Start 1 Player Game
    2 Start 2 Player Game
    LEFT-ARROW Move Felix Left
    UP-ARROW Make Felix jump up a level
    RIGHT-ARROW Move Felix Right
    DOWN-ARROW Make Felix jump down a level
    Z Jump
    X Fix
    LEFT-CLICK Jump
    SHIFT Fix
    F5 Saves data to "../Save Data/Unknown Save Game.dat".
    - If not present game will crash.
    F6 Frameskip
    F7 Screenshot [SEE NOTE 02]
    ScrLk Locks the mouse crosshairs to the center of the screen

Mods/Extras
    Audio: To install sounds go into the "Data" folder, rename the original sound file to a backup name, extract the new sound files into the "Data" folder, make sure the new corresponding sound file has the original name of the desired sound you changed.
    File: Date_Added: Author: Description:
    sound9and10.zip 2013.04.11 by:TheBasement Sound9.wav adds voiceover of "I'm gonna wreck it" and "Fix it Felix". Sound10.wav adds "I can fix it". Original arcade version.
    sound1a.wav 2013.04.13 by:Bag_of_Magic_Food "bonk-bonk-bonk, pong" sounds Felix's hammer makes in the movie (Ah, but there's still a paper sound embedded in the "pong").
    sound9a.wav 2013.04.13 by:Bag_of_Magic_Food "I'm gonna wreck it" - Sample from the website to layer onto some MP3 rips of the movie score I had, which left in only the faintest of cricket chirping.
    sound10a.wav 2013.04.13 by:Bag_of_Magic_Food "I can fix it" - Sample from the website to layer onto some MP3 rips of the movie score I had, which left in only the faintest of cricket chirping.
    HQ_Sound_Pack.zip 2013.04.18 by:frostyfire03530 and Bag_of_Magic_Food High Quality Version of: sound7.wav, sound8.wav, sound9.wav, sound10.wav, sound11.wav, sound12.wav, sound13.wav and sound14.wav. These are closer to the quality used in the movie *No added voiceovers* (Sounds 7-10 have been normalized to match the other effects in the game).
    fixitsounds.zip 2013.04.15 by:aldiode "I hope you enjoy these, I think they came out pretty decent. There is a slight hitch in the extended sound8 but you hardly notice it and it sure looks better when the sound co-insides with the length of Ralph's pounding animation. I included both so people can decide for themselves. You will find one more .wav file for Sound1b.wav which is Bag_of_Magic_Food's Sound1a.wav with the "paper sound" removed with Soundforge." - aldiode
    Graphics: To install new graphics go into the "Data" folder, rename the graphic file to a backup name, extract the new graphic file into the "Data" folder, make sure to rename the new graphic file to the original name.
    texture2v4.bmp 2013.04.26 by:frostyfire03530 Fixes/enhancements for this texture:
    • Color of Felix's medal corrected
    • Color of flying mallards changed for better contrast
    • Nicelanders: color correction as close to the movie as the palette would allow and fixed minor inconsistencies
    • Fixed the suspender moving from side to side on Ralph when he rages
    Happy_Ralph 2013.04.24 by:frostyfire03530 This texture has Ralph all happy-like after you complete each phase.
    Happy_Ralphv3 2013.04.25 by:frostyfire03530 This texture has Ralph all happy-like after you complete each phase. It also includes all enhancements in the texture2v3.bmp
    Other:
    FixitFelixJr.ico 2013.04.11 by:frostyfire03530 A windows compatible icon converted from the iOS game, featuring Felix holding his golden hammer.

NOTES
    01. You must use this in conjunction with the "-rotate" argument. Rotation of 0-89 or 180-269 also will not activate the "-fullscreen" command.
    02. To use this command you must create a folder called "Screenshots" in the root directory where the executable is located. I have not been able to get this to work correctly, all of my screenshots end up only including the bottom left corner and missing 3/4 of the rest. This is persistent in all orientations, zooms, and fullscreen mode.
    03. The "/Data/Controls.log" file is used to control Felix during the attract loop, should this file be renamed or deleted, Felix will not move causing bricks to hit him and he will die. Upon Felix's death the game will crash.
    04. There should be a folder called "Save Data" directly outside of the directory that the main executable is located in. It should contain these four files: "Save Game.dat", "Scores.dat", "Unknown Save Game.dat", and "Unknown Score.dat".
    05. There should be a folder called "Options" directly outside of the directory that the main executable is located in. It should contain this file: "options.csv".
    06. Without the proper implementation of of a "Scores.dat" file once you beat a high score during play the High Score counter does not increase and reflect what your current score is (applies only to the first player, if in Two Player Mode, the second player's score will change the high score). When Felix runs out of lives you can still enter your initials and they show up in the attract loop, but that center high score never changes (again this will work for player two). I'm not for sure if the application was designed to make scores persistent after it was closed, but in this case it matters little, because clearly the High Score functionality is broken.
    07. This seems to be an unfinished release due to the lack of certain sounds and features that are existing on live cabinets out in the wild. The fact that folders and files that are used by the application, once created are not accessed may also support that this is an unfinished release.
    Last edited by frostyfire03530; 04-29-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Fixed the broken sound link.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to frostyfire03530 For This Useful Post:

Bag of Magic Food (04-25-2013)

Thanks

BadBoyBill's Version --- (TBA)

Known Features:
    - bushes on / off
    - lampost on / off
    - clouds on / off
    - stars in the sky on / off
    - "I'm gonna wreck it" on / off
    - "Fix it Felix" on / off
    - "I can fix it" on / off
    - Old Lady Pie Giver with Talk Bubble, "Yoohoo" on / off
    - Custom Highscores

Pictures:
    This is the dip switch menu BBB's version has!

Videos:
    RidicRick's Cabinet Running the Software

Last edited by frostyfire03530; 04-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks

Sjaak's Version --- (TBA)

Known Features:
    None Known Different from the Official Release

Pictures:
    [Coming Soon!]

Videos:
    RidicRick's Cabinet Running the Software

Last edited by frostyfire03530; 04-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Lurker
    Thanks

I think you need to be fullscreen to create a screenshot

Thanks

I tried in all zooms in fullscreen 33, 50, 100, 200 and orientation 90, 270 and couldn't get one to output correctly. Meh it's whatever for right now. Looking at some other things that can possible be done. Inspecting it in a decompiler right now.

HyperNewbie
    Thanks

any chance of a "hey you moved my stump" voice over or does the code need to be re-written to accept it?

Thanks

@prostkxy: The user TheBasement over at KLOV posted the sounds. It seems that all he did was instead of making new voice triggers, he just added in the movie effect on top of the existing sounds that were in the Data folder. If you had a good rip of the "hey you moved my stump", it could just be easily added in one of the wav files.

Thanks

Have any of these been released yet?

Thanks

There is a leaked official version that is out in the wild, that for my own legal reasoning I won't post a link to. I'd hate for Disney to come after the forum for linking to it.

The other two versions, the BadBoyBill version and the Sjaak version have not been released, and may not be released. They are being developed by members of the forum, but again due to legal concerns they might not ever get released.

BadBoyBill has said:

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBill View Post
    My ultimate goal is to make this available to everyone or at least anyone building a cab for the game. The game will be completely free (free as in finding money on the street kind of free) and even hosted on an ad free web page. No money or donation would be required nor expected. All options will be free including default high score initials and things like that. There is no point in putting this much work just to have something for myself, I really want the community to have it and I will not ask for anything in return for people to have this.

I just have to overcome a few hurdles to make this happen, I hope you understand my position and why a game like this cannot just be put up for download immediately.

As for the other great version being worked on, I would encourage the same precautions be taken for releasing the game if that is the plan and good luck!
    Sjaak said this about other games he's cloned:
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSjaak View Post
    I hope the Disney lawyers see it that way, after all 'Imitation is the highest form of flattery'.

I did a replica of the Pac Man Battle Royale software a while ago. Recently I spoke to someone from Namco, they knew about the project, they were very impressed and I even got compliments. But if it was ever released to the public, I have no doubt they would be all over it.
    From what they have both said, all we really know is that time will tell!

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast