Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HyperSpin Update 12-16: Video Theme Transitions

Administrator
    Thanks

Default HyperSpin Update 12-16: Video Theme Transitions

Im excited to bring you this new feature. Currently the current transtions between themes are based on an animation of the new themes image coming in in some cool way like the current HS. The current HS maybe has about 30 or so transitions, but the new HS has over 200 transitions. But those are all based on animating the new background. This thread is related to a different thing called video transitions. The are premade video files encoded with the on2 vp6 codec with alpha channel enabled creating a seamless transition between themes with the video. Now the ones in the video are test versions but I have a ton that will be prepared over the next couple days. These are just some explosions and things like that but the new ones are going to be cool.

Imagine this:
    -A wrecking ball smashing into the screen to reveal the next theme
    -The screen made out of glass and smashing away
    -A thunder cloud coming across the top of the screen and shooting a lighting flash to reveal the next theme.
    -A bulldozer coming up , scooping up some dirt while it drives by to reveal the theme.
    plus many many more.

I will have a new video in a couple days to show off the better ones, these are just examples without sound, the new ones have sound also. Like gunshots and saw blades etc..

This was an unplanned feature but I had the idea a couple days ago and wanted to toy with the idea to see the results and I was very impressed. The code is completely written and it works flawlessly.

With the encoder I was able to set a transition cue point in the actual video that actually sends the event to HyperSpin to allow me get the exact spot in the video where the theme transitions perfectly. I think this is the coolest eye candy feature I have added to HyperSpin by far.

Can these be turned off?
    Definitely
    What about the other transitions?
    They are used in conjuction with these. Sometimes a video transition happens and sometimes an older style one happens. This video has the normal ones shut off for demonstration purposes.
    How many are there?
    Well over 100 unique transitions
    It looks like sometimes the artworks hide the transition a little?
    Theres another setting where you can tell the artworks and video to wait for the video cue point.

Download every Theme all at once with FTP access! FTP accounts are now created automatically when you upgrade your account.

My Cabs:

Thanks

sweet mother! u never cease to amaze bbb.
    ----

Follow along my Visual Pinball project here:
    http://pinacolada.danielpotter.com

VP Artist & Table Author oooPLAYER1ooo's Avatar
    Thanks

That is so SICK !!!!!!!!!!!
    man now your just teasing us

Nice Guys Finish Last, Player Finishes On Her Face....................

HyperNewbie
    Thanks

WOW! It looks great! Can't wait to see the other animations you mention!

Ultimate HyperSpin Guru EvilDindon's Avatar
    Thanks

There will be so many new features in the release that we won't know where to begin.

Thanx !
    "Dindon" means "Turkey" in french.

HyperTutor Guru
    Thanks

Bill,
    This is too much! You said this wasn't Flash but was Adobe, whatever it is, it is sick!

Will this mean other transitions can be made to plug in here (you mentioned bulldozers, etc) or take some new slot in the media folder for the new feature or are these all hard coded? If this leaves room for new videos or flash movies, would that be something the end-user could make and add?

I took this pic :)
    Thanks

Hi BBB,

Great work. Will these be as CPU intensive as the advanced background transitions from the current HyperSpin? More/less? (I'm guessing more?)
    --------------

(this space available for rent)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 82 Posts

Bill - I'm glad you posted a video of it in action instead of making me wait. When we were talking the other day about these, I didn't realize that the artworks would animate in while these new background transitions was taking place. I really like that alot.

Guys I've seen a lot of these new transitions, including the wrecking ball, gun shooting the screen and other various ones. They all look cool when playing alone, but now seeing them in action in HyperSpin I can say that these will be even more awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    Bill,
    This is too much! You said this wasn't Flash but was Adobe, whatever it is, it is sick!

Will this mean other transitions can be made to plug in here (you mentioned bulldozers, etc) or take some new slot in the media folder for the new feature or are these all hard coded? If this leaves room for new videos or flash movies, would that be something the end-user could make and add?
    When I was talking to Bill a couple days ago about these transitions he had code created to load them two different ways. One was via external files that would be placed into a folder and the other was internally compiled into the .exe. He is not sure about the license on these files and if he can distribute them. If they can be distributed (externally) the file sizes are a bit larger, but higher quality. If he can't distribute them then they will need to be internal and compiled into the .exe. The quality on the internal ones are not as good as the external due to compression required to keep the file sizes down.

I guess if you know how to make swipes (I think that is the tech. term for them) then you can create your own. He could probably leave the code for both in place and perhaps give users the option to create new swipes/transitions. I'm not sure about that, but it does give just another level of customization that no other FE has.

Quote Originally Posted by The Loafer View Post
    Hi BBB,

Great work. Will these be as CPU intensive as the advanced background transitions from the current HyperSpin? More/less? (I'm guessing more?)
    Since these are basically full screen flv's with an alpha channel they shouldn't be anymore CPU intensive than the previous "advanced" transitions.

Anyone doubting these transitions; after seeing a lot of the possible files... Most of them will fit right in with the Arcade feel that HyperSpin gives.
    Last edited by Dazz; 12-17-2009 at 06:44 AM.

HyperArtist
    Thanks

Sweet! I love the particle ones...reminds me of the type of particles I used for the intro movie. I actually do a ton of this kind of stuff in my work so I could come up with more at a later date if needed (although 200 seems quite enough). Are these files stored somewhere so if you don't like certain ones, you can get rid of them? I could see people adding a whole new level of customization with transitions that have the same color/design of their cab artwork.

Great work!

1 quarter @ a time....
    Thanks

was just thinking of what u mentioned billpa, a custom swipe to match your own cab art, thats awesome!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast