Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Sega CD with Retroarch

Sigwood

I can run Sega CD games fine in Retroarch.  I have the bios and the core downloaded and set up and have tested running the games from the cue files.

My Sega CD.ini file has the lines

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

romextension=cue

parameters=cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so

Is there more I need to do, or something specific I need to do to get Hyperspin to load Sega CD games in retroarch?  Because right now, it seems like it will load, like the hyperspin app sort of starts to move up like it is loading a new app, but then just resets back and nothing happens.

I was using MD.emu to run these games from Hyperspin and that worked fine except the compatibility seems a lot lower than retroarch.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem might be it would be much appreciated, thanks.

I just barely setup RetroArch ...last night, or maybe the night before?

Anyway, I followed a great tutorial from a guy that is on here "SimplyAustin" I think his name was. On his youtube channel he has a plethora of videos on how to setup various systems in RetroArch.

I haven't 'specifically' seen a Sega CD one, but I wanted to say something because that's exactly what I was planning to do after work because I got the Sega Genesis running properly in it.

Not sure if Simply Austin's videos will help since they all seems to be PC focused and I believe this is an android specific issue.  I have Hyperspin set up perfect with all of Robert Broglia's emulators, Drastic, epsxe, Mupen64, Mame4Droid Reloaded, etc. but retroarch with Sega CD just seems to not want to work the way it should for me.

Thanks for the replies though.

Okay thanks, I will try out that core to see if it works better for me

Edit:  Tried the picodrive core, same results, I am obviously missing something but I am not sure what.  I get no errors or anything, and all the Sega CD games run fine in retroarch.  For some reason Hyperspin just does that thing I described where it looks like it's going to load the game but then it doesn't happen.  I don't think it's a Hyperspin problem but it's probably something to do with how retroarch is doing it's business.  I guess I will have to use MD.emu for now.

I have it working fine using HyperSpin and RocketLauncher!

All I can think off is:

Make sure you have all bios files in the right folder.

Make sure you have a bios file for Europe, USA and Japan...e.g. I have "Sonic CD (USA)" rom and it works fine outside of HyperSpin with USA bios. However it would not run in HyperSpin until I had the Europe and Japan bios as well. Don't ask me why!?

Make sure your bios files are named correctly "Bios_CD_U"  "Bios_CD_E"  "Bios_CD_J"

If that doesn't work then I don't know if I can help!

Have you tried using a setting file from another system that's working, and editing the exe, path etc? I had a few issues with the sample ini's when I first set it all up, so did the aforementioned and it worked fine then :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, have the same issue with picodrive when trying to load sega cd games through hyperspin on my shield portable. No matter what i try, they won't load for some reason. Maybe a bad core, who knows? Tried both picodrive and genesis plus gx, but same result. Noticed that i can load the bios using picodrive core through hyperspin if i include them on the xml list but when it comes to the games themselves, no luck whatsoever. Therefore, i am using md emu for now which unfortunately has limited compatibility. Maybe an older version of retroarch would do the trick? I don't know. Would really love to fix this issue as there are some great sega cd games such as Final Fight CD, Earthworm Jim, etc.

Mine are in Bin/Cue format, I am using the Cue files to load the games though.  Again, they load fine in Retroarch, but for some reason they just won't load from Hyperspin even though I have all my INI file set up the way it should be (I think)

I did not realize Rocketlauncher was involved with setup on Android.  And to be honest, I do not know what Rocketlauncher is.

Edit:  Looked it up, I know now what Rocketlauncher is, however I don't believe that it is used in setup for Android, I could be wrong though.

Rocketlauncher is not used to launch emulators on Android.

If the wheel is working fine but roms aren't launching, it's likely a few things:

1.  emulator core not installed

2.  a typo (or wrong) emulator parameters (exe=, param=)

3.  the rom file doesn't match name in dbase .xml file\

4.  the rom extensions aren't specified correctly

5.  emulator version problem (regression do happen occasionally with nightly builds...)

If you go through the process of copying those details here (in this forum) from your files, we can help.    

It's likely the process will help you identify the problem as well.  

I can confirm the following:

1.  I do have the Genesis Plus GX core installed. It is in the cores folder and it works fine to run the games in Retroarch in BIN/CUE format using the CUE files to load them.

2.  As stated in the opening post, these are my lines in my Sega CD.ini file which I basically copied into there from the help thread on this forum

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

parameters=cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so

3. The XML database file was built from the actual files in the directory, and I have confirmed all file names are matched up with the actual files.  If I use MD.emu with Hyperspin, the games load fine except for the lower compatibility.

4.  I have this line in my Sega CD.ini file:

romextension=cue

5.  I am using the current version of Retroarch that is available to download from the Google Play Store.  It displays 1.2.2 in the bottom left corner of the screen.

I think I am doing everything correctly?  I was able to get Hyperspin and MD.emu to integrate fine, as well as every other emulator I am using except for Retroarch.  It doesn't seem to like me.

Sounds like you are hitting the same issue that has popped up with the Mupen64 retroarch core in nightly builds.

Games work in RA but crash when launched from Hyperspin or other launchers.

I've raised this issue with the RA team and they said it's related to Google changes with Android 5.x JNI.

I'm hoping they fix soon!

I've had better luck with the picodrive emulator and SegaCD.

Thanks for the extension suggestion, I tried that out but no dice.

I tried the picodrive core as well and it does the same thing.  I am on Android 4.4.2, so I don't know if those changes would affect me since I am not on Lollipop?  I am not actually getting a crash or any error or anything, it's more like retroarch just doesn't want to run when I try to play a game from Hyperspin.  Hard to pin down since I am not getting any error message feedback on what the problem is.

If you can setup logcat, hyperspin will provide quite a bit of log status.   In some cases, this has helped me find wrong rom paths, etc. 

However, when I've hit your issue (where an emu is crashing), there hasn't been much I could do other than install a new nightly .apk and update the core.

I don't actually know for sure that Retroarch is crashing.  I definitely do not get the "Unfortunately, Retroarch has stopped" error.  It's more like Retroarch just doesn't start up the way it should when I try to load the game from Hyperspin.  If I try to load a game, Retroarch starts and shows in my running apps but it's like it's not doing anything.

Edit:  Just tried loading Retroarch first so I was at the xmb menu, then hitting the home button to go home, then loading hyperspin and trying to load a game and it actually then goes back to the Retroarch xmb but doesn't run the game.  If I then quit Retroarch, it goes back to the Hyperspin wheel.  So it seems like there is something preventing Retroarch from even loading if it is not already running.

Archived