Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin using 99% of the CPU

bodbod

Hi Guys,

I am working on the Hyperspin setup for my cabinet and I am having troubles to have a smooth interface.

Indeed, I find the video intro and the transitions very slow. I have checked the processor usage and it appears that Hyperspin takes 99% which sounds odd to me.

I have a light configuration but I guess it should work, it is maybe a graphic card driver issue then but before digging further I d like to know if someone has experienced something similar.

Config :

Mobo : A7V333 - CPU AMD 1.63Ghz

GPU :  Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Ram :  1Go

Driver : Nvidia WHQL 93.71

Is it possible that Hyperspin is not using the GPU for loading the interface ? Is there any specific setup I should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I am working on the Hyperspin setup for my cabinet and I am having troubles to have a smooth interface.

Indeed, I find the video intro and the transitions very slow. I have checked the processor usage and it appears that Hyperspin takes 99% which sounds odd to me.

I have a light configuration but I guess it should work, it is maybe a graphic card driver issue then but before digging further I d like to know if someone has experienced something similar.

Config :

GPU : Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Ram : 1Go

Is it possible that Hyperspin is not using the GPU for loading the interface ? Is there any specific setup I should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance.

Your system is on the light side to run HS - particularly the RAM. Ideally you're gonna need 2GB at least. Really though, I think you're going to find that you need to also upgrade the CPU and graphics card. Remember - once you have HS running you're also going to need enough to run the emulators too.

There are some performance tweak options in HyperHQ - this is the setup app contained in the HS folder. I'd try setting all those to the minimum, see what the performance is like, then move up from there.

Separately, you might want to also test the emulators for the systems you want - just to make sure your system is enough for those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick turnaround Tonesmalone, I will give a try then and see if I can upgrade in a cheap way.

I wish to emulate all consoles until the PS1 (included) if possible, the gameplay after is not the same and there is no interest for me in here as I have already a PS3.

Do you think this would not be enough ?

Cheers !

Thanks for the quick turnaround Tonesmalone, I will give a try then and see if I can upgrade in a cheap way.

I wish to emulate all consoles until the PS1 (included) if possible, the gameplay after is not the same and there is no interest for me in here as I have already a PS3.

Do you think this would not be enough ?

Cheers !

It's gonna be a real stretch to get your system to go that far - however you'll only know once you've tested them.

PS1 and particularly N64 will be the most taxing - so I'd test those before you go much further.  ePSXe is about the best emulator for PS1 and Project64 is great for N64 - give those a whirl and see what happens.

Hi Guys,

Config :

GPU :  Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Ram :  1Go

Thanks in advance.

The "official" HS setup needs at last a core2duo 3ghz. In lots of themes there's plenty of .swf animation and particles, they need brute force to run smooothly. Anyway start turnung off transitions and selecting "high" or lower instead of "best" for image quality helps.

Actually you can use a weak machine to run hyperspin at its best but you really need to make some optimization and keep flash thing to minimum. My skin runs even on p4 3ghz 1gb ddr400 BUT I did some modification to it (video re-encoded to 312x312, lower wheelart resolution, less animation)

With all due respect. The socket 462 at sub 2ghz isn't going to go far these days. This is even well below Mame's recent minimum requirements. Hyperspin does not take advantage of GPU acceleration. I've run hyperspin on a number of different setups. My basic minimum requirements are as follows

- First gen dual core processor (Pentium D, Athlon X2) 2.4ghz and up

- 2gb ram

- Optional but helps: 64bit OS. (These processors are already 64 bit. Might as well take advantage of the computing power)

If you are strapped for cash, you can get a second hand 2006-2009 setup just like this on your local classified such as offerup,craigslist etc for super cheap. I recently bought two athlon X2 setups that were missing the hard drives for 20 bucks each.

Thanks Guys for the feedback, I basically want to run all the Nintendo (64 is optional), Mame, NeoGeo and other oldies.

I thought the config would be good enough to run it but seems like I was wrong. I'll do some testing then and see how far I can get.

I have an alternate config otherwise but I need to invest in a new GPU as there is no more AGP slot to recycle the Ti 4200...

The 2nd solution I mentioned would be a P4 HT (D) 3.6Ghz with 2Ghz of RAM, so i s not a real dual core.

I am not up to speed in terms of hardware anymore but I understand that I would ideally need a i7 + dual or quad core CPU + 4 Go of RAM at least + GPU to have a smooth interface and higher chance to run the latest emulators

What would be the approx cost for that just roughly ? Any idea ?

Thanks !

Dump that PC and save the precious days you have left in your life trying to get that running smoothly. Go to eBay and pic up a Core 2 Duo based PC with at least 4GB RAM. Should cost you $40 shipped. You'll be able to emulate PSOne just fine with such a setup.

Dump that PC and save the precious days you have left in your life trying to get that running smoothly. Go to eBay and pic up a Core 2 Duo based PC with at least 4GB RAM. Should cost you $40 shipped. You'll be able to emulate PSOne just fine with such a setup.

Does that look good enough to you ? :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ASUS-P5E-VM-MICRO-ATX-MOTHERBOARD-SOCKET-775-INTEL-DUAL-CORE-E6300-2-8GHz-FAN-/161875375043?hash=item25b08633c3:g:0g8AAOSwl9BWNWN1

You can do better for a little less. That one has no RAM whatsoever. I got one of these for $20. They were a local recycler, so I was able to pick-up for free and save on shipping. I also have another machine that a buddy donated to me. It is an AMD X2 5600+. It is my lowest spec machine in all of my CRT cabs. Both of these PC's run HyperSpin and MAME just fine (I use WinXP 64-bit). So far, looks like I am able to emulate the Dreamcast as well but I have not tried this while the PC is hooked to my cab. I don't see it not working however. If you are dead set on breathing HyperSpin life into that PC, it's a pipe dream. You're better off just running GroovyARCADE on it which will run on the lowest possible PC specs. It has a lightweight Linux OS install, MALA front-end, and MAME built in.

Out of curiosity, are you connecting your PC to a CRT or a LCD-based cab?

You can do better for a little less. That one has no RAM whatsoever. I got one of these for $20. They were a local recycler, so I was able to pick-up for free and save on shipping. I also have another machine that a buddy donated to me. It is an AMD X2 5600+. It is my lowest spec machine in all of my CRT cabs. Both of these PC's run HyperSpin and MAME just fine (I use WinXP 64-bit). So far, looks like I am able to emulate the Dreamcast as well but I have not tried this while the PC is hooked to my cab. I don't see it not working however. If you are dead set on breathing HyperSpin life into that PC, it's a pipe dream. You're better off just running GroovyARCADE on it which will run on the lowest possible PC specs. It has a lightweight Linux OS install, MALA front-end, and MAME built in.

Out of curiosity, are you connecting your PC to a CRT or a LCD-based cab?

Hi Albert,

I may find some office desktop like that then, thanks for the guidance. I am using TFT.

Here is the cab : http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14955-bacchus-arcave-machine/

Full project details : https://bacchushyperspinarcade.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/bacchus-hyperspin-arcade/

Thanks

Hi Albert,

I may find some office desktop like that then, thanks for the guidance. I am using TFT.

Here is the cab : http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14955-bacchus-arcave-machine/

Full project details : https://bacchushyperspinarcade.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/bacchus-hyperspin-arcade/

Thanks

Good lord man! Here I thought you were some poser, a trendy. You are dead serious about this. That is no normal cab build! Sticking a PC that can barely power itself on into a build like that is like..........that's like marrying Victoria's Secret model, and then abstaining from sex.

Get a proper PC for that man!

Anyways, I won't ever use the PC's in my cab for any other purpose. So I use WinXP x64. Keep the OS as lightweight as possible. And since I don't need to be secure, I grabbed my copy of of XP x64 from a site you can find by Googling "getintopc XP 64".

Good lord man! Here I thought you were some poser, a trendy. You are dead serious about this. That is no normal cab build! Sticking a PC that can barely power itself on into a build like that is like..........that's like marrying Victoria's Secret model, and then abstaining from sex.

Get a proper PC for that man!

Anyways, I won't ever use the PC's in my cab for any other purpose. So I use WinXP x64. Keep the OS as lightweight as possible. And since I don't need to be secure, I grabbed my copy of of XP x64 from a site you can find by Googling "getintopc XP 64".

He he, i like the comparison. I think I underestimated the needs of Hyperspin in terms of CPU, thought it was managed via the GPU... I ll invest in what is necessary then.

Cheers mate !

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that after installing Avast to get rid of a specific malware, HS started to use almost the whole CPU, I already added the exe and the whole HS folder to the exclusion list but it didn't help.

Is there any other thing I should do to prevent it from happening?

CPU - Core i3 2120 3.30 GHz

RAM - 4GB - DDR3 1333

GPU - Gforce 9400 GT

Archived