Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

HiToText (Hi score support)

Fyrecrypts

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
To get the latest hiscore.dat and HiToText, please visit the HiToText sourceforge page, the link is in my signature.

With the recent inclusion of hi score support in Hyperspin, thought it might be a good idea to explain a little of the hi score project, how to incorporate it into Hyperspin, and how to update to the new versions that occur almost weekly now.

The hi score project was started a few months ago with the idea that it would be nice to be able to view hi scores for games outside of MAME. I wanted to be able to see my friends' scores and even share scores so that if my brother 100s of miles away beat me 1942 score, I would see it in 1942 when I play. That project came to be known as HiScanner, and a spin off of this was HiToText.

HiToText is a front end friendly command line application that allows reading and writing of hi score files (and now nv files as well) in an easy to parse string format.

Note: HiToText is written in C#, and therefore the .NET framework is required. If you do not already have the .NET framework installed, you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

First, right now to see any hi scores in Hyperspin, your version of MAME must have hi score support. If you're not sure if your version of MAME has hi score support, it doesn't, and I would highly recommend you read this thread at the BYOAC forum that does a great job explaining how to compile MAME with hi score support. This version will even remove MAME nag screens, which feels so much nicer in cabinets.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64298.0

Second, now that you have your hi score enabled MAME up and running, you'll want to play some games that are supported by the hi score project (list of supported games are below). Most hi scores can only be read by the .hi files that MAME will generate in the hi folder in your mame.exe directory. These files will only be created after a game has been run, so just because you have 1942, unless you've played it and MAME generates a .hi file, you will not see any scores in Hyperspin.

Note, if you do not see any .hi files in the hi folder this probably means you are using Hyperlaunch with MAME. You must remove this line from the MAME portion of HyperLaunch: "Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess" This will allow MAME to exit correctly, and create/modify the .hi files that HiToText uses.

Third, download the HiToText.exe application (download at Sourceforge) and place it in the same directory that HyperSpin.exe is located.

Fourth, open up the settings.ini file in the settings directory in your HyperSpin folder, under the HiScore section, set Active = true. There is currently a bug in HyperHQ that makes enabling the Hi Score support confusing, but when the bug is fixed in the Main Settings tab, select the tools sub-tab, and enable hi score support there. You can also adjust where to show the hi scores, and how long to wait before showing the next hi score.

Congratulations! Now Hyperspin will show all of the hi scores for supported games!

New versions of HiToText occur pretty frequently to include newly supported games and their clones, I have been updating a thread on BYOAC, but I will also update this thread with new versions of HiToText, and an updated list about supported games, and the games that are on their way to becoming supported.

The thread on BYOAC is in my signature, and will help explain a lot more about the hi score project. If you'd like to help get a game supported that is not on my list, please look at the links in my signature for instructions on how you can help, even if you have no coding experience you can still help!

HiToText is completely open source, which you can get using SVN, there are instructions on the Sourceforge link in my signature. In addition, as I've gone through certain games, I've discovered a few errors in the hiscore.dat file that have been fixed. So please, use the hiscore datastic linked on BYOAC to ensure that HiToText works correctly for all supported games on your machine.

A Google spreadsheet is listed here that shows information about what games are deciphered, what games people are working on, and what games we need help with to decipher.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=r1aOWGSATauwVHbhlucsGWQ&output=html

If you'd like to have access to edit this spreadsheet, as you'd like to do work without someone duplicating it, or have information about a particularly difficult game to decipher, please post here or e-mail me and I will give you access to modify the spreadsheet.

What file or specific location do I actually find this entry? - "Note, if you do not see any .hi files in the hi folder this probably means you are using Hyperlaunch with MAME. You must remove this line from the MAME portion of HyperLaunch: "Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess" This will allow MAME to exit correctly, and create/modify the .hi files that HiToText uses."

Hmmm, I'm really confused here :)

The Simpsons is supported, but it's not in the XML file. Annoyingly if I rename my simpsons2p2.hi to simpsons.hi, the scores are extracted as I expect. Is there any way of getting the other versions of the simpsons outputting scores without renaming the .hi file?

• 4 weeks later...
To get the latest hiscore.dat and HiToText, please visit the HiToText sourceforge page, the link is in my signature.

Note, if you do not see any .hi files in the hi folder this probably means you are using Hyperlaunch with MAME. You must remove this line from the MAME portion of HyperLaunch: "Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess" This will allow MAME to exit correctly, and create/modify the .hi files that HiToText uses.

This has me stumped were do I remove that code in hyperlaunch do I modify an ahk if so which one?

This has me stumped were do I remove that code in hyperlaunch do I modify an ahk if so which one?

When was fyrecrypts post? I looked back quite a way and couldn't find it and I went back over a year. Anything much over a year wont be relevant unless your using the old Hyperlaunch 2.5.

I searched for that line in the ahk (version 2.1.1) and it doesn't exist.

Post some details of your problem.

I don't get this. Will mame not be able to save highscores if I use a highscore enabled build with hyperspin?

As bleasby has already stated, this is all outdated.

I use jumpstiles build of Mame with hiscore support, it works fine. I can exit with whatever I have set in Mame or I can exit using Hyperlaunch.

As bleasby has already stated, this is all outdated.

I use jumpstiles build of Mame with hiscore support, it works fine. I can exit with whatever I have set in Mame or I can exit using Hyperlaunch.

Just started using that build the other day. My previous compiled one saved to a folder called 'hi'. Any idea where the new saves to? I recorded a new hi score, but didn't see the output.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just started using that build the other day. My previous compiled one saved to a folder called 'hi'. Any idea where the new saves to? I recorded a new hi score, but didn't see the output.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have the same. I just moved my Mr Do! hiscore out of the folder and the default score appeared in game, putting the file back restored the hi score.

post-9524-142870624493_thumb.png

When Jumpstile first posted about his builds he said to create a folder called dats, where you put the "hiscore.dat" and "history.dat" as you can see the dates haven't changed on these, but maybe they don't anyway.

post-9524-142870624489_thumb.jpg

Just tested removing the dats folder from the Mame directory and the Mr Do! score goes back to default.

I never look at high scores. I just play till I'm bored but I guess mine are saving. I understand not all MAME games can have scores saved but Jumpstile's build does allow for all possible scores to be saved. Just don't forget to get his ZIP pack that comes with his MameUIFX.

When was fyrecrypts post? I looked back quite a way and couldn't find it and I went back over a year. Anything much over a year wont be relevant unless your using the old Hyperlaunch 2.5.

I searched for that line in the ahk (version 2.1.1) and it doesn't exist.

Post some details of your problem.

Was going by op. But turns out my .hi files are being created so I dont have to edit trying to get hi score working in marquee magician how do I check hi to text is working. The high score in games I play resetes on exit so not sure if its working or not.

Was going by op. But turns out my .hi files are being created so I dont have to edit trying to get hi score working in marquee magician how do I check hi to text is working. The high score in games I play resetes on exit so not sure if its working or not.

What version of Mame are you running? and it obviously has hiscore support?

Have you created the dat folder and put the required files in it?

HitoText is in the module extensions folder, or you can change the path in HLHQ under General Settings>Third Party.

I don't run Marquee Magician, so can't help with that, but your score should show up in Hyperpause providing the game is supported.

Mame version is mame64 patched for hi score by me. Did not make a dat folder or put a file in will look into that cheers

The latest version 0.152.

You can grab a build with everything included from Jumpstiles folder on the ftp.

How else can I check if hi to text is working?

Where do you want the score to show up? Are you using RocketLauncher?

If your using RocketLauncher and you want the score to show up in Hyperspin, all I just did was this.

Went to the hyperlaunch folder then Module extensions.

Found the Hitotext.exe and XML, copied them both and pasted them into the root Hyperspin folder.

You may need to have your paths set up in HyperHQ to the Mame exe etc.

post-9524-142870624589_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I am currently spending some time on hitotext to decode high-score files as text.

I am rewriting it from scratch (code+xml=>hi2txt), as a hobby and for my personal purpose (learning Java, XML modelization, manipulation at byte level), as it seems to be no more maintained.

I am sharing it now, as perhaps it can raise some interest for other people.

Feel free to test/use it and give some improvements idea: contributions to add more games are also are welcome! :)

Huge thanks for Fyrecrypts and all contributors of original hitotext!

Home of hi2txt: http://greatstone.free.fr/hi2txt/hi2txt.html

Hi guys,

I am currently spending some time on hitotext to decode high-score files as text.

I am rewriting it from scratch (code+xml=>hi2txt), as a hobby and for my personal purpose (learning Java, XML modelization, manipulation at byte level), as it seems to be no more maintained.

I am sharing it now, as perhaps it can raise some interest for other people.

Feel free to test/use it and give some improvements idea: contributions to add more games are also are welcome! :)

Huge thanks for Fyrecrypts and all contributors of original hitotext!

Home of hi2txt: http://greatstone.free.fr/hi2txt/hi2txt.html

Maybe I could add support for it on HyperPause as soon as I have the time to look at it in more detail.

One question although in order to make my life simpler:

Do your program trow the same formated cmd output as hitotext? Something like this?

RANK|SCORE|NAME
1|50000|NIN
2|45000|SIN
3|40000|HAC
4|35000|MTI
5|30000|ESH
6|25000|CBX

If it does it would be pretty easy to switch between hi2text and hitotext to read the high scores on HyperPause. The same for whatever other program that uses that kind of info.

Thks for your contribution!!!

Archived