Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Creating a Genre wheel

singlefin

Hi all.

I'm new to Hyperspin, and I have to say I like it a lot.

I've been putzing with this for a while but I can't seem to figure it out. I intend to run MAME exclusive and what I want to do is have Hyperspin initially come up with a Genre wheel. Upon choose one of the genre I'd like another wheel to display the games in that genre.

I've set Hyperspin in Single Mode and specified the Genre mode. My Main Menu.xml file (in the Main Menu folder under databases) looks like:

<menu>

<game name="Genre"/>

</menu>

Then in the Genre folder (under Databases - I'm just trying to get one genre to work for starters) the genre.xml file looks like:

<menu>

<game name="Shooter Games"/>

</menu>

And in the same folder I have the Shooter Games.xml file that lists off all of the shooter games (as given with Hyperspin).

But when I run Hyperspin the log.txt file shows:

09:17:01 AM | Main Menu.xml successfully loaded

09:17:02 AM | Main Menu wheel loaded successfully

09:17:06 AM | Loading Genre.xml

09:17:06 AM | Loading Main Menu.xml

09:17:06 AM | No Games found in current filter

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help,

SingleFin

Yes. It sits in the Genre folder under the Databases folder.

Now I've only got 1 of the ROMs in the Shooter Games.xml file actually sitting in the MAME/roms folder, but that shouldn't matter, should it? I should still get all the choices but only 1 of them would actually run a game. Correct?

SingleFin

I think perhaps the problem is that you describe setting up the genre wheel in your menu.xml when what you have to do is make a new .xml file called Genre.xml that then lists your genres...

<menu>

</menu>

You then need to make another xml called Shooter Games.xml and in this xml have all the games listed that you would consider "shooter games".

...Or at least thats how mines setup based on what I'd read on previous forum posts about setting up genres. I'm not 100% positive but i think i remember reading that there will be a new setup (easier) with hyperspin 2.0 where I "believe" it was said you would just add a <genre> tag to your main xmls.

Thanks Dark, but that didn't work either.

In HyperHQ, on the Main Settings/General tab, I've set the Mode to Single and chosen Genre from the Single Mode Name pulldown.

I then created a folder under Databases that is named 'Genre' and inside it I have a file named 'Genre.xml' that contains this:

<menu>

</menu>

There is another folder under Databases named 'Shooter Games' and inside it there's a file named 'Shooter Games.xml' which looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<menu>

<game name="99lstwar" index="true" image="'">

<description>'99: The Last War</description>

<cloneof>sonofphx</cloneof>

<crc>e3cfc09f</crc>

<manufacturer>Proma</manufacturer>

<year>1985</year>

<genre>Shooter</genre>

</game>

... many games listed here

</menu>

And when I run HyperSpin it loads the Main Menu.xml file and the log file says:

07:23:19 PM | Menu Mode is single

07:23:19 PM | Loading Genre.xml

07:23:19 PM | Loading Main Menu.xml

07:23:19 PM | No Games found in current filter

07:23:19 PM | Genre.xml successfully loaded

07:23:20 PM | Main Menu wheel loaded successfully

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SingleFin

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you need to create another folder for Genre. You just need to be sure you have the Genre XML in the correct system database folder. I had some trouble with this at one time. I wanted to separate my pc engine, supergraphx, and turbographx. I created a Genre XML in the turbographx database dir. Inside that genre XML I put this:

<game name="SuperGrafx 16"/>

<game name="Pc-Engine"/>

<game name="TurboGrafx 16"/>

After I just had to make sure that I had individual XML docs titled:

Supergraphix 16

Pc-Engine

Turbographx 16

Each had their system specific games in them.

Hope this helps

S.

• 3 years later...

Is there any way to create a genre wheel for the main menu? So I would have a console, arcade, handheld, and other genre?

Also is there any way to have a game description for each system? I've updated the main menu xml so that there are descriptions and there are genres like the set up of the other xml but neither descriptions in the bottom left appear nor genres come up. What am I doing wrong?

• 9 months later...

another quick question.. is there anywhere I can download configured genre xml's for the latest mame along with the art, I know alot of people put in alot of hours doing this, will be donating soon since I dont have much time to contribute. I found a new hobby though!

you can use Don's tools or other similar apps found here to generate genre xmls based on your mame.xml. I thought hyperspin includes genre wheel images but if you can't find them on the download site either, search the forums, i'm sure someone had a website to download lots of wheel art. Then they go in Hyperspin\Media\MAME\Images\Genre\Wheel, named the same as each xml in the databases folder.

Archived