Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Pinball Electrical 101

After looking around the hyperspin forum, picking up ideas for my pinball cabinet that I will (eventually) build, I noticed that there is a common problem with a lot of people unsure how to hook things up electrically. A quick chat to Dazz and Chriz99 got me going with the need for a simple electrical guide for those that need some help.

And a bloody good chance for me to give a little back to this great project (Looking at you BBB)

Enjoy

3/4/11 2nd Draft uploaded.

5/4/11 3rd Draft uploaded and url updated.

7/4/11 Layout changed and contents page added (I didn't know I could write so much! Pandora's box or what?)

12/4/11 Final Draft for review from the guru's

10/5/11 Update 1 with fuses for LEDwiz and Multiple power supplies

4/9/11 Minor update with Chris's new strobe idea, locating flipper buttons and a little on speakers

14/1/12 Added a answers from some FAQ, added parts list and shuffled some sections.

Pinball Electrical 101 Ver. 1.08

Also available on the FTP server for Gold Members under /Upload Here/Maxxsinner

Please dont hesitate to post errors or anything that is not clear so I can refine it!

Edited by maxxsinner
Update

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, I can host your pdf then put that link in a post if thats ok with you for a sticky.

Sounds Great Bill. I still have a bit to go on it as so if you can wait for a bit longer, I will get it finished, have the boys that have done the wiring give it a once over for confirmation and I will up the file for a sticky :party:.

Thanks !!!

Edited by maxxsinner

Have you had a chat to an electrical wholesaler at all Dazz?

There a million different brands of contactors out there that are all pretty fast switching to do the job. They should be able to source some cheaper than that.

Will chat to some of my electrical reps next week for some ideas and get back to you.

This is looking really really good. Too bad I can't find those contactors anywhere in the US. The few places that have them are about $100US each. :(

Great stuff in there. Lots of people will find this useful.

Thank you.

I loved the joke with the SED Smoke Emitting Diode.

He he he. I read the blog of Dan Rutter who does reviews PC gear for a mag here in Australia - http://www.dansdata.com/

And he has my sense of humour.... well more a sense of ridiculous. And a brain the size of a planet! :adore:

This definitely will help I think, is Chris inputing also? Would be nice for an all in one electrical plus adding Chris's ideas which are crazy cool. Im cool to the point of wiring up switches and lights , anything much past that and I probably would need some help.

This definitely will help I think, is Chris inputing also? Would be nice for an all in one electrical plus adding Chris's ideas which are crazy cool. Im cool to the point of wiring up switches and lights , anything much past that and I probably would need some help.

I am getting input from Chris, BBB, but this started from Dazz saying he was not sure where to start with all the wiring to do Chris's cabinet bling on his own cabinet and seeing how many times Chris had to repeat himself on electrical stuff to other people.

Seemed logical to me that cause I have the skills as an electrician with some electronic knowledge, I should pass the info on and stream line a lot of Chris's work as well as explaining some of the fundamentals.

I have never seen a community like the Hyperspin crowd and figured, if we all put in like a lot of the people on here do, we all get better results.

And BBB, make sure you ping me if you need help with your wiring!

Edited by maxxsinner

Thanks so much for this, i only wish there was something like this about when i started building.

I just installed my knocker, shaker and wiper motor yesterday.

All is working but i notice you have suggested placing the diode across A1 and A2 on the relay. I have actually placed my diodes across the + and - on the device terminals, ie across the kickers + and -.

Would this still do the same job?

thanks.

Thanks so much for this, i only wish there was something like this about when i started building.

I just installed my knocker, shaker and wiper motor yesterday.

All is working but i notice you have suggested placing the diode across A1 and A2 on the relay. I have actually placed my diodes across the + and - on the device terminals, ie across the kickers + and -.

Would this still do the same job?

thanks.

The diode is used to protect the LEDwiz from the relay coil Hicks so it must go across the A1 A2 on the relay.

Putting it across the terminals on the device will do nothing as the device is electrically separated from the LEDwiz by the relay.

Hope that makes sense.

afaik the finder relays (for knocker, gear,...) have an integrated diode already, check the pic. I heard also that the ledwiz itself is protected via diodes too (darlington)

2011-04-03%2015h24_28.png.jpg2011-04-03%2015h41_45.png.jpg

Edited by chriz99

afaik the finder relays (for knocker, gear,...) have an integrated diode already, check the pic. I heard also that the ledwiz itself is protected via diodes too (darlington)

Didnt notice that diode on the finder relay but your right there Chis.

Will check out the ledwiz protection when I can. A darlington pair exposed to a high voltage spike would still do damage as far as I know, as the P-N junctions in the transistor are only rated to a certain reverse bias.

As you said on your thread, for a 7 cent item, hey it still might be worth doing if your not using the realys in your pic:D

Edited by maxxsinner

So I got my analog strobe yesterday and noticed there are 2 dials on it labled dimmer and speed, what do I want to set these as? I take it that the ledwiz can control the intensity and speed of the strobe just like the shaker motor??

Maxxsinner, regarding the wiring diagram for the strobe light in your guide, the finder relay you have pictured is different from the finder relay i have, but am i still to use the same lablelled terminals A1, A2, 21 and 24??

That's correct lettuce. As I said in the guide, A1 and A2 on practically all realys and contactors are for the coil. 21 and 24 - The 2X means the second set of contacts. The X1 means the common and X4 means the normally open. You could use 11 and 14 which is just the first set of contacts.

Done a few more updates on the guide. Table of contents and a big rearrange to try an make it flow a little better.

A lot of my gear arrived today. Still waiting on my mouting plates to be able to get a start on it so the next section of the guide may be a little way off yet.

Ordered my gear from Wolfsoft today. Shaker, Bridge, etc. Next step is to vist a car wreckers and find a wiper motor.

Cannot wait to play with the shaker. Like a sheep with a cotton boner. Well kinda.... Lets just say I am excited.

L2v8UhWNOec

Edited by maxxsinner