Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

Son of a gun, future electronics are fast shippers. They're in the states, I'm in rural Canada , they shipped it last night and I got the shipment today! Too bad I wasn't home, so FedEx will try and accept shipment tomorrow.

As mentioned in my past post, I ordered the Red one. I'm sure it will do the job and if I ever upgrade in the future, I'm sure the red will be easy enough to sell:

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/optoelectronics/leds/Pages/1351709-LEE-128G032B.aspx?IM=0

It's going to be a long month before I get that board! Gak!

Yep, and according to someone else' post, it might be a little brighter than the one I got, the orange model just looks fantastic Doesn't matter, I'll see how mine is and take it from there, I'm on a heck of a budget and just need to save on the DMD to put that 100 bucks on other components. I just hope it does the job, red or orange, you figure it has to be better than having to install a third LCD and second video card and it will certainly have more of a DMD authentic look.

Yes, I got mine too, also red. It was about $225 or so, I couldnt justify another $100 for orange, if it doesnt look good I'll be surprised (and annoyed!).

That said, I hope I dont have to wait toooooo long for the dmd-controller. I think I came to this party late and will be waiting a long while.

:-(

be careful of these type displays

http ://www . pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=164&parent=0

they are the plasma range and require 4 different voltages very nasty aless u already have a pinball transformer + power smoothing board.

my dad is currently making a board that will power then just from 12v :)

but this is a few months off yet!

there are two types of led displays i have seen the ones made of little 8x8 led matrix segments (think pinled now use 16x16?) they look ok and can hardly notice it when the display is animating :)

or the expensive vishay single led ones that look almost identical to the real thing due to the smaller leds + PERFECT spacing.

its all down to how much u wanna spend.

That's the one I got, actually 2 of them...

That's awesome and I'm thinking about buying one plus the board from Russ.

Since I don't have a cab how exactly would I get that to sit correctly on a shelf? Can I use something as a stand to keep it in the correct position?

What would you suggest for someone wanting these, but don't have a cab yet?

I'm not sure if you have any woodworking tools, but I suppose you could always make an "L" shaped board that you could attach the DMD to. The DMDs are fairly light, so as long as the base was deep enough, you wouldn't have to worry about it tipping over.

It might look a little strange just sitting there up on a shelf, but at least you would have something till the cab was built/obtained.

So I have to ask - how are people planning on handling games that don't use roms?

Such as JP's Spiderman/Pirates? Are you going to run both the monitor display and the DMD display?

Is there currently a way to program to use the actual Vishay DMD w/o rom support?

iv made it so the logo is now stored in a .txt file you place in your tables folder :) no firmware upgrading needed :) pinmame.dll will look for that txt file in between games and use that as the logo :)

also looking into having the dmd scroll through table names / manu logos :)

Currently their is a 40 to 50 FPS loss difference with the DMD code in the Pinmame.DLL. Tho this is still in Beta, and Destruk hasn't Cleaned it into the code yet, and disabled the LCD DMD within it. I would say that after Beta is done, and the LCD DMD is removed from the Code, you will see a GREAT increase in FPS.

Not to mention that you can run both your Playfeild, and your Backglass on one GPU.

The only issue I see with the alfa numeric numbers is having both the DMD and the BS2 running at the same time. Hopefully There will be away to edit the pinmame, or have it call to a file that says to run the DMD or not for certain games. That as a end user can control, so that we can avoid a double score board. And update the Pinmame.DLL based on what games have been completed with the BS2 system.

I can personally say that the Real DMD is night and day, compared to the LCD DMD. And those waiting for a COLOR DMD, they are just using a LCD in full color for it. Not to mention that your Going to be waiting at least 3 to 5 years to get your hands on it, unless we as a community redo it ourselves.

Stern is coming out with a NO DMD system, and replacing the backglass with a LCD ( what most of us cab owners already have ) And the scoring will be taking place on the backglass LCD.

This is good for two reasons... One, the Stern Sam Systems games will be available for us in the not to far distance future. Two, and those of us with a Real DMD, and a LCD backglass will be future proof with sterns new system, when and if they are available.

Bottom line, Get this DMD while you can, you wont regret it. Also Russ is a great person to deal with, and has so far addressed every issue that has come along. ( Mind you I'm still beta testing it )

It's H4CK3R Approved,

H4CK3R

havent notice any fps loss my self BUT thats prob because i am testing just normal layouts not these super cab layouts lol.

i have also been compiling against the normal pinmame build not Destruks special cab build (he is gonna add my code once its complete)

the usb send command is all handled in separate thread so technically shouldn't effect the game play at all! but if people are seeing performance hits i can move all the usb code to another application you would run in the background and the pinmame.dll would just send it the frame data over a socket and the usb application would handle the board. but the fully integrated pinmame.dll should work fine.

Russ....

LOL Don't worry in terms of FPS, 40 to 50 FPS is NOTHING when we are getting scores of 3000, to 6000. LOL

But your right, once destruc enters it, we should be getting better FPS.

H4CK3R