Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Graphics card advice needed

AndyBak

Hi All, my arcade rig is currently running on a Pentium K Anniversary G3258 using the onboard graphics of a MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard and all has been pretty impressive considering the spec (MAME performance and most other emulators).

However I'm now exploring HLSL in MAME and finding the onboard graphics are not up to it, therefore I'm looking for graphic card recommendations.

Ideally:-

* Nothing ridiculously expensive.

* Low noise, rig is pretty much silent so no huge jumbo jet fans.

* No cards that require a dedicated power station to run.[/li]

Any ideas?

Thanks Andy.

Well I was thinking anything over £100 would fall into the expensive bracket as this rig isn't a full blown gaming machine.

Seeing as so far I've been fairly impressed with the CPU and onboard graphics performance (a £90 combo) I'd be very interested to hear what something like a GTX 970 actual gives over and above this in regards to emulation.

If you have a z97i motherboard and bought a g3258 then imho your know that you want to upgrade the cpu somewhere..sometime..

I bought the cpu because its cheap. And for the bragging rights. Got a 960ti just in case and it fitted my budget

GTX 970's should be avoided entirely since Nvidia scammed everyone as it really only has 3.5gb of usable vram. Certainly not worth the retail price. Feel free to Google about it and read everyone's outrage lol

I just ordered an AMD r9 290 the other day which are on sale at the moment. Only about 5fps or so weaker in most benchmarks and $100 less, plus the whole 4gb of vram is actually usable. Maybe a non-issue for cab owners running only emulators but for an all-around gaming rig, pretty crucial.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been really happy with my 660 for almost 2 years now. The new 960 is in the same series and its benchmark scores are pretty impressive, if I was building one from scratch now I'd have probably gone that route.

I've been using the 660 for almost 3 years now and it's been fairly good to me. A little sluggish on games like Skyrim, but plays everything like a dream. Anyone know anything about the AMD CPU's with built in GPU's? I'm looking to put one into my cab here soon to get rid of a unwanted video card.

Archived