Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

DosBox Help

mccorkled

EDIT: I marked this as solved because I finally have everything working. If you need to get DOSBox working with rocketlauncher, read this entire thread. All the answers are here!

Finally went through all my DOS games and found the ones worth keeping. Apparently the 90's were a "great" time for shitty RPG's...

Anyways...

I have RLUI setup to look for com, exe, and iso files. The games are showing up in RLUI but when I try to test a game I get this error. Any ideas?

1749hg.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on your screenshot I would say you are using exodos.  Please be sure to read all of the module notes for dosbox.  If you are using exodos and your roms folder is setup properly.  Then you need to make sure you do the following (if using rocket launcher 1.0+, exodos 2.0, hyperspin 1.4 not sure HS version matters):

1. browse to rocketlauncher\modules\dosbox folder

2. use the database in the database folder.

3. take example off the files(rename) in the zipmapping folder and move them up one level

4. take example off (rename) dosbox.ini

5. be sure all of the instructions are followed in the module notes. (Click Dosbox on left, Click Modules Tab, Third icon from left looks like notepads (module notes).

This made it work on mine.  Now the database on hypersync has more data filled in.  I was just looking to get it working as my dosbox was an old setup pre RL1.0+ and was not working anymore either.  This is how I got it working again for me at least.  Good luck.

What a long ass way to do something so simple. Hm....

I can use Dfend but the problem I am having is that my 2 favorite games ever need the iso to be mounted and then the game to be executed. I cannot mount an iso with DosBox using Dfend. Any ideas? I do not understand why it wants the games in a game folder and to be zipped. I want to keep the format I use for all my games...

Nintendo 64

-emulator

-roms

-game folder

-game

-game folder

-game

-game folder

-game

Microsoft MS-DOS

-dosbox/dfend

-roms

-game folder

-game

-game folder

-game

-game folder

-game

Most the the dos games are exe, com, and bin files to launch the game but about 10 or so are iso.

What dos games are you talking about for the iso versions? I wonder if you could extract the contents of the cd-rom to the virtual drive folder, and try to "install" it.  I got the tie fighter cd-rom version to work once.  didn't have to mount anything.

I am sure for those iso games without no cd cracks. You will need too figure out daemon tools support then edit the dosbox.conf for that game to mount the cd drive as a drive in dos box.

Probably need a second dosbox emulator setup called dosbox cd support in rocketlauncher then I am not sure but enable dtools for thay emulator. Then set that game to use an alternate emulator being the dosbox cd one. Then add mount commands to dosbox.conf for that game.

Just some ideas of the top of my head not sure if all that makes sense but sounds doable to me anyway.

Check the dosbox module too there may be support in it already per game for this kind of thing.

Edit: 

Ok I looked over the module and did not see anything specific but after thinking about it more, I cant see a way to mount a CD image for your iso image.  

I was thinking:  I would just enable D tools support to mount the iso image in rl for dosbox emulator period and add the mount commands to mount the d:\ as the cd drive for all dosbox games in the dosbox.conf.  Even if you don't use it you will be set.  But the constant conundrum that I keep coming back too how will it know to mount that iso?  You would probably need to put the iso in the folder where the rom is, add .iso to the extensions for dosbox and then maybe it would mount it?  Assuming the iso name was Abuse.iso?

just more ideas.  Good luck. 

It's been quite a while since I used dosbox, and I have never set it up in HS but I do remember it using configuration files (like .bat) with all commands, including loading cdex.exe and himem.sys, setting irq's for Soundblaster, mounting images... create 1 for each game with all settings. All mounting is done inside dosbox through these configuration files (wanna say batch, just not positive they were. They look a lot like an autoexec.bat if you recall those), daemon will do you zero good here. Dosbox has its own mounting system and syntax. It cannot see anything outside it's own environment.

I have never used exodos and like I said it's been a few years so sorry if things have changed a little since then. I can look into it more when I get home.

Sent from my SGH-I467M using Tapatalk

Hi again. Apparently I missed the part about the nocd crack... Sorry, that does present a real problem! If one really doesn't exist, your only option would be hacking the game exe (via hex editor) to remove/replace calls to the cd with calls to the hdd. Very hard to do! Beyond my limitations. There could possibly be an old program that would handle the saferom/securerom protection (assuming you know which one it has) but of course you would have to run it inside dosbox.

If all else fails and you really need to have this game, GOG offers a digital DRM free version that is guaranteed to run on newer systems for $5.99. Not sure about getting it to appear on your ms-dos wheel with the rest of your oldies but it shouldn't be that hard??? Out of pure curiosity, what is 2nd game? They may have it too, they have quite a library.

Things would be easier if you use FrontEnd such as D-Fend Reloaded. Yes it might sounds weird to call another Front-End within a Front-End, but D-Fend reloaded definitely will help you create those config files with ease in the long run.

OK so a quick google check and I don't think Stonekeep has any real protection so it shouldn't be a problem!

Just have DTLite mount the image (say on drive E:)

Then add this to your dosbox config:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

c:

cd stonkeep

sk

If it's in .iso file already, don't mount it in DTLite, instead mount this way in dosbox config:

imgmount d c:\path-to-image\stnkp.iso -t iso

c:

cd stonkeep

sk

The source I got this from said to install to c:\stonkeep (<---NOT A MISSPELLING!) instead of the default \intrplay\stonkeep

Also notes to not autodetect sound as it may choose "gravis" which will slow down gameplay. You want SoundBlaster and change the default IRQ to 7 (from default 5)

Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8.x stores the default config file here:

{system drive}:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-{version}.conf

Make a copy of that, put the mount and load commands in and rename it Stonekeep.conf

Then just point Rocket Launcher to that config file.

So then I just boot the cfg file? Any tutorials on this? I have not had to make any config files for this yet. I was using Dfend reloaded but it cannot boot iso files and calls an error when it tries after opening dosbox

Yes essentially what you need to configure in RocketLauncher is simply setup the ROM to point to D-Fend Reloaded config folder. As for booting the ISO, make sure you added the mounting drive to the script first, which is done automatically if you use the D-Fend Reloaded UI. There is also no need to use Daemon Tools Lite or any Virtual CD tools to mount the ISO.

As with all DOS games that requires CD, make sure you first install the game program using the wizard:

post-62687-0-42742100-1437244622_thumb.jpg

post-62687-0-26862000-1437244639_thumb.jpg

post-62687-0-47868800-1437244333_thumb.jpg

post-62687-0-72924700-1437244344_thumb.jpg

Let me know if it is still unclear and I'll be more than happy to help you out. More love for the MS-DOS :-)

I did not install the game using dfend because it is already installed with dosbox. The game works fine when I play it but I am still having trouble getting it to load automatically.

I made the config file and put this in it...

imgmount d Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Stonekeep\Stonekeep.iso -t iso

c:

cd stonkeep

sk

When I try to load the game in hyperspin I get this error

5n9jbo.png

I then added in the emulator information into RLUI

2isvdco.png

and now I am getting this error.

2v29yl4.png

Archived