Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin and STEAM inhome Streaming

Cryofax

So I have a computer in the family room that I stream games to from my more powerful desktop using STEAM's inhome streaming. It works very well. You can stream STEAM games, but also add ANY game to the STEAM library and stream that too (even if not purchased via STEAM or even if not available on STEAM).

I'm considering trying to stream Hyperspin to the living room PC. A bit of an Inception setup with emulators within hyperspin within steam streaming to a 2nd PC with steam lol.I just wondered if anyone had  tried this and had any luck with it? Either way I'll post my results when I get around to it eventually.

I use nVidia Shadowplay to stream HyperSpin to 3 Raspberry Pi around the house.  Works great, even over the wireless network :) (However it obviously only plays one Hyperspin over all the Pis)

I have used the steam thing by accident and did get it to work with HyperSPin, although only from my HS PC to my Laptop.  I just made HyperSpin a Steam game from what I remember (adding it to the list manually as a non steam game).  this however was aaaaages ago when the steam thing first took off... not sure if its still done the same :)

I use nVidia Shadowplay to stream HyperSpin to 3 Raspberry Pi around the house.  Works great, even over the wireless network :) (However it obviously only plays one Hyperspin over all the Pis)

I have used the steam thing by accident and did get it to work with HyperSPin, although only from my HS PC to my Laptop.  I just made HyperSpin a Steam game from what I remember (adding it to the list manually as a non steam game).  this however was aaaaages ago when the steam thing first took off... not sure if its still done the same :)

What's important here?  The speed of the network over the power of the PC?  Or is streaming CPU intensive too?  And what's the lag like?

Just been reading about Limelight and Emulation Station to start using my RPi2 better and this is all dead interesting.  The collective internet thinking seems to be that it can be laggy with Limelight on some games.

the impact on the PC is not noticable at all to me.  Im running the stream through a old PC.  Its a i5 OC to 4.2 Ghz.  It has a 670 in it... although the speed of the CPU and GPU only really impacts the games, not the stream as far as I have seen... not intensive at all.

heres what I have found...

You do need a 600 series+ nVidia GPU, anything older doesnt have the drivers/options.

I use a normal stock Wifi router supplied by my ISPs, both BT and Sky home hubs both work fine for me.

I use it Wireless and you can choose 1080p or 720p.  As I am on Wirless I run in 720 as it says it reduces lag. 

Ihave never noticed any lag of note in 1080 or 720.  But I stayed at 720 to be on the safe side as Im now playing more PC games online (in bed), and I want to keep it as competative as possible :)

I have RetroPieinstalled on the Pi 2's.  Emulation with Kodi and HyperSpin running on them all.  Perfect for bedrooms as access to everything with no fans or sounds from PCs hehehe.  My old streaming PC is even in the garage ;)

Thanks man, top info.  What are you using for a controller?  I just bought a bluetooth dongle to get a PS3 controller going on this project but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

And what was your experience with the Steam version of this with proper full fat games, something like one of the recentish FPSs (for when I want to stop pretending it's 1980something)

I use 360s official with cheap ass Chinese dongles in all my setups... never had issues.  RetroPienow picks them up straight away without need to DL drivers anymore.

I now have PS4 controller for my Sony Android TV but I aint set it up for anything else so I cant comment on much else :(

I did not play much on the stream streams with many modern games.  I tried Fifa 15 (football), to see if it would work ok with online lag and stream lag... had no issues at all.  Shadow of Mordor and again, no issues.  Cant remember what else I used. 

the only problem I had was the missus... hehehe.  She hates tech, especially in the bedroom so I had to find a way to get it hooked to the TV as I was doing it on my shitty laptop and it overheats just turning it on.  The fans spun up and shecouldnt live with it.  thats when I looked into the Pi streaming.  they are silent and I can hide them behind the TV... she doesnt mind that as she can now watch her TV shows on Kodi when she wants  :)

Austin..... are you using Moonlight on your Pi to enable the streaming? 

I have your setup so far on my Pi 2. I'm sure you will get to a "how to" video on streaming sooner or later. 

In the mean time i've been trying to learn a bit about it and test a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

First off shout out to Simply Austin your tutorials are the reason i can get hyperspin working!

I am trying to set up my hyperspin in Steam Stream.  I got it added and hyperspin will run however, when i load a rom for example in MAME I only get a black screen with sound but the keyboard also still works.

Anyone run into this or have ideas on how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Hmmmm.. I am not sure about the Steam thing.  I do remember having it working for a test.  But I  didnt do much with it.  Moonlight however yes mate.  I use it on my Andorid TV and on my Pi2 setup.  I will smash out a tutorial for you so you can enjoy it :)

Hi. Did you ever make this tutorial? I would love to know how you can stream hyperspin to a pi. 

Archived