Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

new guy question

danwelsh

Hi guys. I'm planning a cabinet build and will be using hyperspin as my front end but I have a question I hope someone could answer. I have a computer that has 8 gb ddr2 800mhz ram, an amd x2 2.4 ghz cpu, a 500gb hd and just the dedicated graphics card and sound from the mobo.....will this be enough to start off with and which emulators will I be able to run pretty well. also should I get a dedicated video card?.....oh and I'm going to be using a 24 inch LCD monitor......thanks in advance.

:welcome:

Should be OK for older systems but might struggle with PS2, Dreamcast etc. You also won't be able to fit much on a 500gb hard drive, but that will depend on what you want to emulate. A full Mame set with the CHd's will run you nearly 400gb.

The integrated graphics will cause you trouble with playing the Emumovies videos in HyperSpin, there are fixes you can do to flash but a dedicated GPU will be better.

okay. thanks.....for now I just want to emulate mame and c64, vic20, and genesis.....and not with full rom sets. I'm actually thinking maybe even just arcade games and no consoles but chances are I'll want more :). How good of a gpu should I get when I do like will a r7 260x with 2 gb ddr5 work fine.... and I'll be grabbing a large hd as well......I didn't realize how big rom sets can be.

Before throwing cash at it try and get it working first and try the fixes for the integrated graphics and those systems should work on it

The systems you mention should be fine and if you skip the Mame chd's the HD will also be fine.

The Mame split set is around 50gb

Vic 20 is 121mb

C64 is 810mb

Genesis is 533mb

Archived