Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

HyperSpin automatically starting on boot up?

Twoflower

I've got a MAME cab I'm trying to configure to use HyperSpin as the frontend. HS is working great, it's tuned up and ready, but I'm running into a problem.

I've included it in the "startup" folder of my Start Menu, so it'll automatically load when my computer boots up. But some application, and I can't tell which, is pulling focus away from the HyperSpin window after HS starts. As a result my X-Arcade joysticks (acting as a fake keyboard) can't control the HS menu, and the system is effectively stuck until I can alt-tab over to the HS window and restore focus.

How do you have your system configured to work around this problem? I can't change what applications load when my PC boots; I need it to start Steam in the background and a few other things. Is there a way to force HS to keep the focus once you fire it up?

It is Steam that causes it. Does it on mine too and I have yet to find a solution.

Ghutches startup script might fix it, but I haven't bothered to try it yet.

I'd start there because that's about the only thing I haven't tried and nothing else worked.

Seriously? Weird... you'd think given the heavy usage of hyperspin as a cabinet front-end and Steam for things like Pinball Arcade that this'd be a solved problem by now.

Where can I find Gutches script? I'm a bit of a noob at this.

I hope this can be figured out, it's the lynchpin of my entire plan to have an arcade cabinet that needs no mouse and no keyboard...

It should be here right in the download section. The categories in there aren't laid out so well, but it's probably under Hyperspin>3rd party apps.

It's the one thing keeping me from being able to completely ditch the keyboard too.

Maybe a script to keep HS from launching until Steam is fully loaded and in the task tray or something. I'm sure there's a fix, we just need someone who knows what it is to post dammit!

We should create a sticky or something once a solid solution is found.

I guarantee this is a failry common problem for dedicated builds.

(Once I'm done trying to set mine up in the year 2020 and create my dedicated game console, I too will need this fix no doubt)

Ha! It shouldn't take you that long.

February 8th of this year I heard of Hyperspin for the very first time. 3 months to the day later on May 8th I applied my finished graphics to my fully functioning cab and called it done.

Learning Hyperspin and setting it up was actually the last thing I did. I didn't even join this sight until early April so learning HS, HLHQ and getting it all set up I did during that 4 week period. I did it as a crash course though and spent almost every moment I wasn't at work either setting it up or working on my cab art (the art alone took me over 100 hours).

My wife wasn't to thrilled with my time invested in it.

Well... it's kind of ridiculous, but I got it working.

Answer was an autohotkey script in my Startup folder, which simply reads:

sleep, 20000
run, c:\emulation\hyperspin\hyperspin.exe, c:\emulation\hyperspin

In other words, "Start up this script alongside everything else fighting for window focus, wait 20 seconds, THEN launch HyperSpin." Even then it was cutting it a bit close as Steam took about 18 seconds to fully load; I'll probably ramp that up to 30 seconds.

This is the stupidest possible solution and doesn't account for delay factors like Steam updating itself or other random slowdowns, so if anybody comes up with something better, I'm all ears.

Now, to figure out why SystemSilencer refuses to load unless I manually load it... (EDIT: Got that to work by injecting it into the same script as the one above. Apparently it hates being loaded normally by windows but is cool with being autohotkey'd into play. God bless autohotkey, solver of problems.)

Ha! It shouldn't take you that long.

February 8th of this year I heard of Hyperspin for the very first time. 3 months to the day later on May 8th I applied my finished graphics to my fully functioning cab and called it done.

Learning Hyperspin and setting it up was actually the last thing I did. I didn't even join this sight until early April so learning HS, HLHQ and getting it all set up I did during that 4 week period. I did it as a crash course though and spent almost every moment I wasn't at work either setting it up or working on my cab art (the art alone took me over 100 hours).

My wife wasn't to thrilled with my time invested in it.

Honestly it's more the way I am doing it than anything that is taking me so long.

I am going through every line of each XML one by one by one by one by one, simultaneously also going through every peice of art and it's accompanying rom.

I do this so I can delete out all the BS (barbie games, edutainment, SHMUPS) and fine tune little details to my liking. For instance I have no need for CRC info or ratings. Also, I rename a number of games to proper fit a more organized theme. (ie. The sequel to NES' "Renegade" is "Target: Renegade" , but I renamed it as "Renegade 2 - Target: Renegade") Things like that, or the fact I take out all the (USA) (Rev B )etc etc.

I'm also adding in a large number of Rom Hacks, complete with custom art I am doing in photoshop. (still trying to figure out the video part for these) So that they are integrated seamlessly.

It's beyond tedious, but I am going to have the finest organized collection around when I am finally finished.

...plus I've redesigned my theme-set... 3 times now? Maybe 4?

I started in April of 2014 lol

I'm doing similar, making my own databases with only the entries I want, and removing cruft text like "(USA, World)" or "(Rev 1)" from the titles. I want a clean and user friendly system with a well curated, hand-picked list of games.

It takes a LOT of work, especially doing it by hand in Notepad because meh on third party tools, but it results in a nicely customized and personalized hyperspin.

As a followup to my original query, so far so good on just launching HyperSpin 25 seconds after bootup. No window focus issues at all and autohotkey is proving a more reliable way of starting things than the actual windows startup process; it launches system silencer and some other background items nicely.

My cabinet's kinda a wreck right now because it's got the wrong marquee and I need to make a whole new bezel to work with the larger monitor I got AND my old X-Arcade's wiring is dead so I need a replacement... but once it's done I'll post to the custom cabinets forum with the results. And hopefully, one day soon, I can STOP SPENDING MONEY on this crazy spiral of a project.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived