Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

2 player cab

mange181

OK so this is my relaxing work in the garage wile the family sleeps :)

Its my first and im planing along as i go. looking at others work and so on.

Im going for a two player full size, still kinda slim thanks to the modern lcd.

Im going to add pc spec here later on. But im hoping to emulate up to the grafic level of n64

Its a full size pc tower.

Im going for hyperspin/rocketlaunch as most of you. emulator status is as follow..

Nes. 100%

snes 100%

megadrive 100%

mastersystem 100%

n64. 100%

Popcap 100%

Mame 5% this will take time...

about controls. in lookin at som kits from china on ebay. Seller:1688danielxie Nice price but quality? maybe worth a try...

Update: bought setup for two player. Led lit. Ok quality and easy setup. Usb. Perfect for first build. Pic of the kit in this post. The buttons lit when pushed. If yellow and red connector is swaped the button stay lit all the time. I might have the small button lit and big ones lit when triggered.

post-78019-0-99683000-1444725165_thumb.jpg

post-78019-0-65203200-1445750908_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the rounded sides! Also the semi frontfacing speakers are neat. It reminds of me of the misses Pacman cabinet. Was that of inspiration to you? If you're going to add a coin slot, I would stick to MAME, otherwise go full blown with all the systems :P For the buttons, I personally like the default goldleaf pushbuttons. But most are fine and all pretty cheap.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Hi! Yes the rounded sides does really add a softnes to a otherwise mekanic shape.  

My inspiration was another mame  cab i found online :)  Ill attach the image of the cab of inspiration. There were actualy messurments to go along with it. I followed the basics then inprovised to match my height and my screen size.  

im not going for a coinslot at the moment. maybe in the future.  The default goldleaf pushbuttons... do you know a reseller of thoes?   Thanks for you input! 

post-78019-0-45868800-1444729579_thumb.jpg

post-78019-0-49071400-1444729939_thumb.jpg

Got some wood work done this week. I decided to make a slot for a keyboard and maybe other stuff. I might put som cool lightning in there :)

Good to see you progressing. Can't wait to see the finished product! With lightning you mean lighting? Or are you gonna paint it with a lightning pattern? I was wondering what your ideas are about painting/decorating the cabinet anyway :)

Thats a fun typo :)   Im going for something like a cold catode or a row of leds in the upper part of the keyboard shelf/slot.

About the design. Im realy not sure yet. I have asked Bradley Bowman <[email protected]> for price on vinyl covers witch seems to give the most "correct" result and look soooo good. Think you got something like that?

I dont think im ready to pay all that money. Dont take me wrong. its worth every penny for what i have seen. But i have this personal thing to keep fun things cheap. So i think i will start of white. Then i need to sit down and come up with some fun grafics. I do have a airbrush laying around witch might be put to use. Im not super good with the airbrush but can probebly get som more simple grafics going.  For the panel im thinking about using the printer at work. it can print the size of my space were the controlls will go. the put a nice plexiglas over maybe. This will most likely involve som exprementing. 

i have seen on old cabs that there use to paint a border on the profile sides to frame the artwork. Think ill do that for starter then come up with som graficks.  

question. Your edges on the profile sides. black. Is that just paint or have you put som list on there? I like that werry mutch. looks proffesional.

I really like the design of this... especially how far back you have the monitor mount in such a thin (relatively) cabinet. Which bracket are you using for the monitor? I'd also be curious to hear more about how you're building the control panel. As I plan my own cab build, I'm struggling with design for two things.

1) How to attach the control panel properly while allowing for a plexiglass monitor bezel

2) How to best secure the marquee art

Keep the updates coming!

Looks really nice and I also like the rounded sides, however it looks to me like your control panel area sits low enough that the higher sides would interfere with playing or make it feel a bit cramped and uncomfortable. I'd recommend raising the control panel area up to at least be flush with the front corner of the curved side (much like your inspiration machine is built).

It is also such a clean, nice looking build that it would be a bummer to just paint it and not do vinyl sideart that lived up to the rest. Whatever works for you of course.

1) How to attach the control panel properly while allowing for a plexiglass monitor bezel

On mine I picked up a long L shaped aluminum corner bar from Home Depot, Cut it to the right length, primer and painted it black.

Then I attached the bottom piece to stay into place and mounted the top piece to 2 small, flat hinges so it tilts up and I can slide the marquee in out.

Works perfect and it looks like a factory arcade. I'll post a pic in a minute.

post-58638-0-13804400-1445011469_thumb.jpg

post-58638-0-46399100-1445011484_thumb.jpg

On mine I picked up a long L shaped aluminum corner bar from Home Depot, Cut it to the right length, primer and painted it black.

Then I attached the bottom piece to stay into place and mounted the top piece to 2 small, flat hinges so it tilts up and I can slide the marquee in out.

Works perfect and it looks like a factory arcade. I'll post a pic in a minute.

attachicon.gifWP_20151016_001.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151016_003.jpg

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks really nice and I also like the rounded sides, however it looks to me like your control panel area sits low enough that the higher sides would interfere with playing or make it feel a bit cramped and uncomfortable. I'd recommend raising the control panel area up to at least be flush with the front corner of the curved side (much like your inspiration machine is built).

It is also such a clean, nice looking build that it would be a bummer to just paint it and not do vinyl sideart that lived up to the rest. Whatever works for you of course.

Thanks for the input! the high sides at the controls has crossed my mind also as annoing. I will do something about it for sure.

Where did you get your vinyl? May i ask how mutch you payed?     

Your machine looks great! Inspiering!

I really like the design of this... especially how far back you have the monitor mount in such a thin (relatively) cabinet. Which bracket are you using for the monitor? I'd also be curious to hear more about how you're building the control panel. As I plan my own cab build, I'm struggling with design for two things.

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks! yes i got this memory of some arcade at "Gröna Lund" a theme park here i Sweden. I was short and litle and staring deep into this machine in this dark room. there were zomies and some ligtning gun involved. :)  I love the feeling of "privacy" and it also tend to shade that evil sun of when gaming.

The bracket is a standard wallmount for screens. im actualy thinking about not using it because it undeepen the screen rather mutch. wow thats bad english ... :) U probebly get what in saying.

Its something like this.

http://www.kjell.com/se/image/Product_219474sv/full/1

Im thinking about using screws that fits the actual mountwhole. Drilling holes in the back supportbeam an let it sit direct on it.

As for your questions i dont have any ansers yet but ill keep posting :)

Today i got some more done. I corrected the height of the control table and got that top board in place.

I have recived the buttons and think they will do just fine for the first built.

I have also deside to go with a long plexiglas as front over screen that will be bent over the tabel and around the front. Under it all i will place grafics. Ill go with a big printout from a photoshop online. Just about 20 euro for a 60x90 cm print.

post-78019-0-60352000-1445630665_thumb.jpg

I've been planning on using a 27" WS LCD with a mount like this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4564

That way I don't need to be ultra precise with the angle and distance of the plexi bezel from the monitor itself. I can angle it properly and then extend it so that it's flat against the plexi.

Thats a good point. Are you planing on bending your plexi were the bezel/monitor ends and have it go over your controllers? I have never bent plexi before. But ill give it a shot.

Heres my plexiglas front plan. It will be a large peace that will cover both screen/bezel, control board and front panel. Behind it ill place a printout with grafics. It will cover the same as the plexi. Ill cut out for the screen and drill holes for controls.

A piece of plexi just in front of the screen will hold the grafics/ bezel in place.

post-78019-0-16115600-1445661638_thumb.jpg

Looking good. Button height looks good. I've never seen anyone do their plexi like that. Interested to see how it turns out.

One thing I'd recommend, but I don't know if it's even possible using plexi like that, is tinted glass.

My screen is covered with tinted glass, behind the glass is a black bezel (cut from thick, black single piece framing cardboard) which frames and is flush against the monitor screen behind that.

I've seen machines with normal clear plexi or glass and they don't look nearly as good (or as "acrcade" like) as tinted. It makes a big, big difference.

Looking good. Button height looks good. I've never seen anyone do their plexi like that. Interested to see how it turns out.One thing I'd recommend, but I don't know if it's even possible using plexi like that, is tinted glass.My screen is covered with tinted glass, behind the glass is a black bezel (cut from thick, black single piece framing cardboard) which frames and is flush against the monitor screen behind that.I've seen machines with normal clear plexi or glass and they don't look nearly as good (or as "acrcade" like) as tinted. It makes a big, big difference.

Ok! So tinted is good.. im going to rhe store tomorrow. If it feels cheep ill rethink.

Im also thinking about having some distance between first plexi and the monitor. I like the depth in screen placment. Thanks for your input. I haven't thought about tints and glass types at all.

Im also thinking about having some distance between first plexi and the monitor. I like the depth in screen placment. Thanks for your input.

Yeah my inner, black frame-board bezel sits back inside the glass about 3 inches so there's a bit of depth like a real arcade machine. The monitor is flush with that inner bezel so you can't see the monitor frame, just screen. The tinted glass darkens all of that so it stays hidden. The glass itself sits in a glossy black lacquered wood cradle (top and bottom). Out side of the glass is the outer bezel which is a thin aluminum square frame (primered and painted semi-gloss black) which hides the slight gap between the glass and the cabinet frame itself.

It turned out pretty decent for just winging it.

My screen is covered with tinted glass, behind the glass is a black bezel (cut from thick, black single piece framing cardboard) which frames and is flush against the monitor screen behind that.

Can you post a photo of your bezel?  I was thinking of the same thing of making a matte around the monitor.  I am curious how it looks.  Thanks - Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived