Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Time to buy some hardware...

monza

I'm happy enough with my current Hyperspin install that it's finally time to buy the hardware to go into the cabinet. 

See below for the list of items I'm thinking of purchasing, would apprecaite some feedback (if I'm missing something crucial or getting the wrong type of whatever)

Remember that I have an old 2nd hand cab that I'm going to gut, making my own control panel.

Being based in NZ my options for buying are a bit more limited due to the cost of shipping from the US. I've found what looks to me a good place in Australia to buy from, would rather buy the lot from one place and only pay the one shipping fee.

At this stage I'm aiming to build a basic cab for sf2, so going for 2 joysticks with 6 buttons each

Ipac2

Ipac USB Cable

Buttons

Coin Button

Joystick

Wiring Kit

The only thing I'd mention is that if you want to be able to play up-to date, modern PC games on your cab then you might want different controls.

What you're building is basically what I have, but I found it doesn't do the trick. So I'm re-building my CP with 8 buttons (P1 & P2) and replacing my 8-way sticks with Ultimarc U360's since they are also analog and can be mapped as a mouse.

If you don't care about that then you should be good (other than spinner/twin-stick games)

The only thing I'd mention is that if you want to be able to play up-to date, modern PC games on your cab then you might want different controls.

What you're building is basically what I have, but I found it doesn't do the trick. So I'm re-building my CP with 8 buttons (P1 & P2) and replacing my 8-way sticks with Ultimarc U360's since they are also analog and can be mapped as a mouse.

If you don't care about that then you should be good (other than spinner/twin-stick games)

Thanks for the heads up, at this stage I'm not planning on playing modern PC games on it.

I can't think of any Mame arcade games that I remember that used a spinner/twin stick so not worrying about that at this stage.

Which 6 button layout did you go for? The classic symetrical two rows of three or the more Neo-geo freindly style?

Thanks for the heads up, at this stage I'm not planning on playing modern PC games on it.

I can't think of any Mame arcade games that I remember that used a spinner/twin stick so not worrying about that at this stage.

Which 6 button layout did you go for? The classic symetrical two rows of three or the more Neo-geo freindly style?

Don't go with a straight lined symmetrical 6. It's uncomfortable. Hold on and I'll post you some templates.

Here check these out. I recommend printing out a few at normal size to try them and see what works naturally with your hand.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I'm going with this one: This layout uses the standard Japanese arcade design, but the proportions are set so the buttons fit together more evenly and closely. The buttons form equilateral triangles and a square.

cluster36_s.png

Twinsticks for:

Robotron

Smash Tv

Assault

Rotary games:​

Bermuda Triangle
Caliber 50  Optical
Downtown
Gondomania
Guerilla War
Heavy Barrel
Ikari Warriors
Victory Road
Ikari III
Midnight Resistance
SAR Search And Rescue
Time Soldiers
TNK III
Touchdown Fever

Spinners in:

Tempest

Zwackery (is that what it's called?...)

Tron
Forgotten Worlds
Crater Raider
Kozmik Kroozr
Mad Planets
Aztarac
Victory​

Frontline
Tin Star
Wild Western
Sheriff​

Here check these out. I recommend printing out a few at normal size to try them and see what works naturally with your hand.

I'm going with this one: This layout uses the standard Japanese arcade design, but the proportions are set so the buttons fit together more evenly and closely. The buttons form equilateral triangles and a square.

cluster36_s.png

Thanks, printed this out and does seem to fit my hand quite well. You might have convinced me to go with 8 buttons each too, guess it can't hurt to have the extra.

Twinsticks for:

Robotron

Smash Tv

Assault

Rotary games:​

Bermuda Triangle

Caliber 50  Optical

Downtown

Gondomania

Guerilla War

Heavy Barrel

Ikari Warriors

Victory Road

Ikari III

Midnight Resistance

SAR Search And Rescue

Time Soldiers

TNK III

Touchdown Fever

Spinners in:

Tempest

Zwackery (is that what it's called?...)

Tron

Forgotten Worlds

Crater Raider

Kozmik Kroozr

Mad Planets

Aztarac

Victory​

Frontline

Tin Star

Wild Western

Sheriff​

Didn't play any of these back in the day except Ikari Warriors on the Amiga, which just used a normal 8 way joystick. Also don't think my cab will have room for anything more, will do some measuring....

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject.......

Can anyone advise the top couple of online arcade hardware suppliers? USA/Australia/Asia.

Is there a couple of companies that are above the rest or is it all pretty standard across the board?

Much appreciated.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ is where you'll find switching joysticks, Ultralux buttons, the various iPacs and LED controllers, U360 controllers, wiring harnesses etc... The only thing you'd probably need to order elsewhere would be coin doors (their selection sucks) or if you wanted cheapo parts instead.

cluster36_s.png

This is the same set up that I use. I do not have the analog sticks, just the 8way. I works great for ps1 & ps2 as long as the game uses the Dpad for movement, otherwise no so good. The button layout works pretty well it takes a little getting used to playing that way. I have found that most of the time I just pull out the 360 pad for most newer games.

Archived