Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Just Started 1st Build

R0CK632

Hey Guys, Just Started my first build and thought i'd share the progress. Super excited how its coming out, its not perfect but we got a lot accomplished so far in just 4 hours.  Hoping to get the rest completed shortly and ready for paint and primer.   Iam sure ill have some questions along the way that I hope some of you may be able to help with.  

http://imgur.com/a/Wn09S

A new player in the forum! Welcome!

Who needs a perfect cab anyway :)

What kind of glas are you planing to put infront of the screen? Will there be some cool extras like hyper marquee or led blinky functions? Im almost done with my cab 1.0

Ill be adding grafics etc later on. For now im working for compleating to get a painted simple working machine. I need to get some playing done before going into more details i think :)

Ones again mutch welcome. Ill try answer any questions you might have.

Im in the same boat as you, just wanna get it completed and painted first and then worry about the graphics later.  The problem i think i am gonna run into is that it is very narrow from the monitor up and I think the graphics might look strange.  Might just stick with paint but who knows.  I was planing on using just plexi glass and boxing out the size of the monitor and spray painting the backside of the borders black unless someone can suggest other opitions.  I ended up purchasing the DIY 2 player kit from xarcade along with their coin door so no fancy buttons gonna be a pretty plain cabinet.  Going with a 24" LCD monitor. Is there a real difference in monitors? Was looking at the 24" Benq gaming monitor was only like 130.00 dollars.  

I believe for monitor you would wanna go with an IPS screen. It has the best viewing angles. A regular LCD or LED monitor will have an optimal viewing angle, namely right in front of the screen. You can probably test this yourself if you step to the sides of the screen and see it turn black/negative. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in and give better advice than I can. 

For only a 4hrs job it's quite good progress. I'm anxious to see more, I do love seeing progress on these builds. I can't wait to start on mine but it's gonna be a while before I get to that. Being unemployed doesn't really help in building a cabinet :)

Can anyone give some input on a sound system?  I was planing on just throwing some computer speakers below the marquee and plugging them into my computer.  Also I have hyperspin all working good on my notebook computer.  Is it a bad idea to just throw that inside my cabinet or do i need to transfer everything over to a tower?

I think answering questions like yours depends on what you quality level is. I got a sheap dell monitor and a pc speaker system and i think the result is super.

Only thing i regret is the plexi. Its all ready damaged and the plastic static make it dirt atracting. I learned a tint makes a big difference i had som tintfilm laying around and it made a big difference. Sadly the film is letting go of the plastic. But ill live with it for now. Im changing later on to glas with as tinted as my glas guy kan give me. Alternatively i will go for straight glas with a tint film.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the control panels done today and what a pain the butt. First off the template I used, the buttons apparently weren't spread out enough so squeezing the nuts on the bottom was a nightmare. And recessing everything so the bolts would fit was annoying. if I had to do it over I would buy much thinner Mdf just for the control panel instead of using 3/4. Anyways it wasn't pretty but we got it done..

RfMDr57.jpg

Let me be the 3rd to say a straight 6 is probably my least favorite layout.

I'd actually recommend that you completely re-do the CP before you're stuck with it forever. Check here for ideas: http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

For your screen I'd say avoid plexi and avoid painting a bezel on it. Get tinted glass cut to the exact size you need, recess the monitor back 2 or 3 inches from the glass and build a black bezel that also sits 2-3 inches back that completely hides the monitor. You can build that bezel out of flat black picture framing cardboard from a craft store.

Reminds me of my first build. Well done.  Might be a good idea to hang your light a little lower so it illuminates the marquee evenly. Also do yourself a favor and get a power entry module.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00511QVVK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009180OVW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R0X208NKE81AA3XPMDM

Archived