Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retroarch Nightly Tips & Tweaks

BiZzAr721

Hello. Sorry if the title is misleading. I've been looking for quite some time on a good retroarch android guide but found nothing too useful.  I figured creating a thread here where we can all share any advice, tips & suggestions for retroarch. 

I am curious as to what everyone here does to back up & restore retroarch between builds. Sometimes retroarch updates will not install unless I uninstall it first, and then the settings & cores downloaded will not work.   

I know retroarch has gotten much better with the config files, but not exactly sure how to utilize it properly.

Is there a simple way to reverse the select & back buttons for the main interface only? 

Last question for me is is it necessary to download anything from the online updater besides cores & possibly cheat files? I have no idea how to use the assets, and config files.

:thanks:  

Thanks for the link. I read it thourougly when I get a chance. Just scanning through it seems like it leaves some questions unanswered. Whats some of the first things you personally do when you install retroarch, aside from updating/downloading cores? Any settings tweaks you prefer?

• 2 weeks later...

That article has some helpful information, but didn't go as in depth as I would have liked. Is there an easy way of changing the select and back buttons for the main menu, but only in the main menu? When I change the retropad mapping, it carries over to all emulators. Then I must change the mappings in all the emulators.

Those controller configuration files, should I bother downloading them? I'm using a shield TV with a stock controller, as well as a ps3 controller.

Last thing, here is a screenshot of the message I get quite a bit when updating.

495293827e27c06f6d2e8e8d5d269e99.jpg

It says app not installed, so I end up having to uninstall retroarch & reinstall, then download all the cores again. I'm sure it is because of changes in some of the betas, but is there an easier way of updating? Thanks

Edit: the main reason for switching the menu buttons are because whenever my wife or anyone else tries to exit, they always end up having a hard time (and end up in random settings)

That article has some helpful information, but didn't go as in depth as I would have liked. Is there an easy way of changing the select and back buttons for the main menu, but only in the main menu? When I change the retropad mapping, it carries over to all emulators. Then I must change the mappings in all the emulators.

Those controller configuration files, should I bother downloading them? I'm using a shield TV with a stock controller, as well as a ps3 controller.

Last thing, here is a screenshot of the message I get quite a bit when updating.

It says app not installed, so I end up having to uninstall retroarch & reinstall, then download all the cores again. I'm sure it is because of changes in some of the betas, but is there an easier way of updating? Thanks

Edit: the main reason for switching the menu buttons are because whenever my wife or anyone else tries to exit, they always end up having a hard time (and end up in random settings)

That happens a lot in nightlies becuase the devs dont usually change the app ID unless its a major release.   Uninstalling 1st is the only way around that.

Were you able to figure this out ?

I only have a couple months experience with Hyperspin and that was on PC, I just recently picked up a Nvidia Shield TV so I thought I would just use that for my Hyperspin. However without rocket launcher it is a bit of a pain in the arse exiting a game backing out to hyperspin. On all of the other software A is Enter but in Retroarch they have it mapped to B which trying to have the wife and kids understand and navigate is impossible.

Might I add that all this work on these Hyperspins is for me to play games with the family and if I cannot get the navigation mapping issue fixed I will have to do everything for them. Not really my ideal setup.

Another issue is I cannot get the N64 retroarch to work in hyperspin, it works fine outside it and the stand alone Mupgen App works great launch from hyperspin but it launches into the the emulator menu. Again this is not ideal, I want the kids to be able to pick a game and maybe hit the Shield button and that backs out to Hyperspin.

There is already the O home button on the shield controller I dont know why anone would need to back out into retroarch settings. If I wanted to go to settings I could back out to home and then pick the App.

I'm really happy with the Nvidia Shield and so far have NES, SNES, N64, Wii, PSX setup and working. I use retroarch for NES, SNES, and PSX since I cant get N64 to launch from hyperspin into retroarch.

Any suggestions on my situation ?

N64, get the nightly build. For retroarch, i don't know if a simple way to remap menu buttons without carrying that switch over to all the emulators. You need to exit retroarch cleanly from retroarch. If your back button isn't mapped to bring up the menu, then you need to either remap it or even easier is set a button combo. I have it set to bring up the menu when I hit L3 & R3 together. (Menu » settings » input » menu toggle gamepad combo) 

Im using mupen64plusae-v3-alpha now for N64 b/c I cannot get Retroarch to load the games in Hyperspin.

I have played with setting the controller menu to R3 + L3 but all that does is open/close the menu, when I try to back out of the game it still takes me to Retroarch menu and I have to go down to Exit Retroarch.

I'm using the default Shield TV maps, I dont know enough to try and remap the buttons. Like you said that effects the mapping in the games as well.

If I had some guidance I feel better changing the text files than trying to do it throughthe GUI and translating what it means. I would feel more comfortable if someone said try this it worked for me, then fuggin up something.

Ok, so I see what my problem was when mapping. When I started Retroarch and made mapping edits they only applied to when I started the App manually, I had to made the map edits after launching Retroarch from Hyperspin. I enabled L3 + R3 for Retroarch menu and made ESC the Nvidia Button.

Now to just figure out how to make A enter in Retroarch and B backwards like it is on all the other apps. Although now not as big of an issue b/c I can just have them press the Nvidia logo to back out to Hyperspin.

• 5 months later...

I posted this yesterday then I found this thread. Keeping things in one place is good idea.

Swapping A&B is best done by swapping the values for the below settings in your retroarch.cfg

Menu_ok = "?"

Menu_cancel = "?"

From yesterday's post

"Found a little trick to help with the dual config thing with retroarch if you don't have root.

think this is new to 1.3.6 because of different android permissions.

Hyperspin launched games use retroarch.cfg located in root data/user/0/com.retroarch

Retroarch direct launched games use retroarch.cfg located in local storage (mine is) storage/emulated/0/android/data/com.retroarch

You can now access the root retroarch.cfg file from the gui

Go to settings->directory and change your config directory. Click on "application directory" the use this directory

Go back to main screen and find "load configuration" click and you are taken to the root directory where the Hyperspin launched retroarch.cfg file is.

Load it up and make any adjustments.

DONT FORGET to change the config directory back in the normal retroarch.cfg or any cores you load up will be saved to the root folders!!!

Archived