Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Different "No Video" for each system?

vaderag

I worried you might say that... Seems a bit of an oversight! The other issue is that it would be difficult to know which you're missing in future!!

Does windows have a method for junction points for files instead of folders? Wondering if I could write something which would use a missing list to run a batch process...

You could export a missing list with any of the HyperSpin tools, use a batch to create a blank text file with those names.

Then use File2Folder to create a folder for each of those files instantly, Then use a batch copy to copy your one movie into those folders, then lastly use a batch rename to rename all those files to the folder name.

Whole process about 5 mins maybe.

File2Folder is a simple shell app you can download, the copy batch scripts I have already because I use them for a similar function. The only thing I don't have is  the first step. I see agent47 is lurking in here he could probably write something to do it all much faster. My method would work for me haha ;)

That's why nobody (that I know of) does it that way.

I'm assuming you were thinking of using a symlink type bond for files so that 1 novideo could be used for all games without vids for that system (upon scanning the video directory against the database to create a list)? If that's the case and it was possible I think that would likely be messy and not really worth the effort.

Edit: Looks like that's what you meant (I took to much time typing my response and you guys snuck in there)

Sure it would definitely be messy! But it could be a solution... I'm not going to get chance to look over the next week as away with work, but I might have a gander when I'm back... Would really make missing some videos far less painful!!

That's why nobody (that I know of) does it that way.

I'm assuming you were thinking of using a symlink type bond for files so that 1 novideo could be used for all games without vids for that system (upon scanning the video directory against the database to create a list)? If that's the case and it was possible I think that would likely be messy and not really worth the effort.

Edit: Looks like that's what you meant (I took to much time typing my response and you guys snuck in there)

Sure it would definitely be messy! But it could be a solution... I'm not going to get chance to look over the next week as away with work, but I might have a gander when I'm back... Would really make missing some videos far less painful!!

Yeah, it's something that really should be natively supported along with configurable media paths for each system. I may look into it myself just because I'm curious and I have the necessary processes figured out in my head if I can just work out the linkage. I've got some other HS related coding things to work on first but I may give this a go and see where it leads.

Awesome - that would be cool :)

Thank you!

I prefer the solution of not having any missing videos lol. If there are no videos I just don't show those games (but that's just a personal pref)

That would be the ideal too, but while I hunt out vids then I'd prefer to have them there so I can decide if I wasn't to keep or hide!

You could export a missing list with any of the HyperSpin tools, use a batch to create a blank text file with those names.

Then use File2Folder to create a folder for each of those files instantly, Then use a batch copy to copy your one movie into those folders, then lastly use a batch rename to rename all those files to the folder name.

Whole process about 5 mins maybe.

File2Folder is a simple shell app you can download, the copy batch scripts I have already because I use them for a similar function. The only thing I don't have is  the first step. I see agent47 is lurking in here he could probably write something to do it all much faster. My method would work for me haha ;)

Would you mind sharing your copy batch scripts? 

Just got back from travelling and now had chance to take a quick look at this...

I just ran a 'proof of concept' on my idea above... steps:

1) Create "No Video - NES.flv" in my Frontend Media Folder

2) Create a file symbolic link from that to the video name

xFR1w8r.png

3) Works!

So... this seems the best method available to use a custom No-Video as it has the following pro's:

1) Saves Space - only one copy of the video

2) Easily changable - you can run a search on .symlinks and it will find all of the non video files in your directory. This means you can easily pull lists of what you are missing and update later

Steps that are now needed (which I'm not sure I have the skills to do, tho hoping agent47's offer still stands ;)) are:

1) Small frontend to select root file and videos directory 

2) Automate XML to Batch file creation

- we can easily pull a list of missing videos from Don's Tools

- this XML can then be used to automate the process of creating symlinks for missing videos

3) Execute

I can't think of a better way to do this, but open to ideas

That's a pretty cool workaround.

It's too bad it can't be automatic. By the time I go through all my game videos I will be recording new ones to fill said holes lol.

Would have been cool to get recordings of the "Please insert disk" screen to auto-fill those holes in each system in the interim between now and when I clean them up.

• 2 months later...

Archived