Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How do I re-order a wheel?

vaderag

I thought wheel's would work the same way as the systems menu - the order in the XML is the display order.

But this doesnt seem to be the case - my games are showing up Alphabetically based upon the <description> tag (it appears)

Obviously this tag is used for display too, so don't want to change that to get the order right, and I tried messing with index and it seems to be just for the letter selection...

Anyone help?

They do work the same way as the Main Menu xml, order is determined by game order in the xml. Can't think of anything that might be causing your issue off the top of my head =/ This is a silly question but did you save every time you made the changes and leave then re-enter the system menu in HS?

I never thought about this but now I am curious. I always noticed some games were ordered wrong when they had numbers like Game Name and Game Name II...I assumed it was wrong in the XML but now I will have to check. Not sure why HS wouldn't have been coded to order them the same as the XML...

I'll check and report back some time as I am curious.

That's bizarre. I just tested before I replied to make sure I wasn't out to lunch and all I had to do was move the order of items in the xml. Can you fire us a dl link or post the xml here with a code tag so I can check it out?

I'm on my phone so cant grab the link, but if you got my profile and my uploads you'll see the XML there...

I'm somewhat relieved that it's designed to work the way you'd expect, but odd that these particular games (it's the Pokémon order that's off) don't behave!

So I've just run a couple of tests.

I can 100% confirm that it is ordering by <description> tag in alphabetical order, not by XML order.

For example:

Ōkamiden comes at the start/end (not 100% sure) as it doesnt recognize the Ō as an O

Pokemon Conquest comes after Pokemon - Black (the - comes earlier in the 'alphabet' as HS sees it)

Pokemon - Black always comes prior to Pokemon - Platinum, despite Platinum being earlier in the XML file

So... any ideas how to make it show in a custom order?!?!

Just grabbed your xml to check it out. It does this if there are no instances at all of "Index='TRUE'" in the XML and if the HyperHQ Navigation/Themes setting "Use XML Indexes" is not selected. Set at least one instance of "Index='TRUE'" in your XML and turn on "Use XML Indexes" and the database will behave as you desire, following absolute XML order instead of alphabetical order based on description.

Glad you asked this question and got an answer.  I was wondering the same thing after adding some of the "newer mario bros." hacks to my wii wheel.  I wanted them all in the same spot even though they weren't alphabetical, and it didn't work.  Now it does!  Thank you Avar.

Just grabbed your xml to check it out. It does this if there are no instances at all of "Index='TRUE'" in the XML and if the HyperHQ Navigation/Themes setting "Use XML Indexes" is not selected. Set at least one instance of "Index='TRUE'" in your XML and turn on "Use XML Indexes" and the database will behave as you desire, following absolute XML order instead of alphabetical order based on description.

Thank you so much for your answer - you're right - this does make the wheel show in order... I'd love to know how you knew that!!

BUT... Letter selection breaks...

I presume because (as far as i can tell, because i can't find any documentation), letter selection is based off index=true and image="[letter]" for the letter selection - am I correct?

So, to make it behave as I want, I guess I need to do the following:

• Change use_indexes to true
  • Change the XML to have the first item in each letter to have index="true" image="[letter]"

Is that correct?

Okay, so just answered my own question - that's exactly what is needed.

Bit annoying having to alter 26 entries in order to get the XML to show in the order intended, but nevertheless it works :)

Thanks everyone for helping get to the bottom of this!!

• 6 months later...

More specifically, it needs to be a ROM that you have in your system.  Just finding the first ROM that starts with "d" and setting an index for it is not good enough.

Also, if your settings in HyperHQ are to use "parents only", you can't just tag a clone with the image letter.

Example:

I own D. D. Crew, but not D-Con.  Since D-Con is the first "d" in the xml, logically you would think I could just set index="true" and image="d" and be fine.

However in MY case, I would need to add the flag and index to the D. D. Crew entry, BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE...

I can't just tag the first D. D. Crew entry since it's a clone, and not the one I'm running.  I needed to find and tag the actual parent rom of D. D. Crew.

This was mainly an issue because my HSHQ is set to only show parents, only show roms I have, and wheels.  (I haven't tested the theory of indexing roms without wheels, but that's a story for another day).

It's also worth mentioning that if you view by category/genre, or by favorites, if the favorites are not indexed, you can't skip forward/backward, or letter search.

Archived