Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperbase Live: Public Beta

fr0stbyt3

No problem man.

Personal preference would be a side option on the left for global settings. Just cause I think it would be a one and done deal.

I'm sure other people can chime in where they tend to install the hyperopia directory.

And I'll play with it some more but mine seemed fast. If it does it more I'll to a screen capture showing its speed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. This is actually done on purpose for the time being. I'll fix the uninstaller shortly though. I keep that file around because it houses the settings. I dont wan't that getting deleted up updates.

2. Easy enough to implement. I'll add it to the list

3. So right now I have a way to validate each system. However, the validation data is not persisted anywhere that we can show the user. I'll have to think about how I would show this data on a screen. 

4. I can use tooltips to explain folders

5. That is a decision for the Admin Team. Default is just what I found it called in the old database.

6. Again, sounds like a job for tooltips.

7. This is more or less the validation step from 3.

8. This will be implemented in the future.

9. I could do this, but where would I keep the backups?

10. I don't understand. What are you renaming systems for?

11. The multiple exe in process monitor is correct. This is the app creating threads. It should close the threads when you close the app. If not, I can look into it with you.

Coolio!  

K for item 9, backups could be placed within the media folder themselves....example, 2-D box art that was synced in artwork folder 1.  If a person wants to backup these items, then click a button to zip all those 2-D boxes into a zip file within the same artwork 1 folder on their local HS setup..  A person can manually do this, however; it would prevent accidental overwrites of custom artwork, etc.  On the flip-side, If the program detects that a files exists it and skips it, then it would be hard to figure out which items didnt sync and you would have to resort to logs to parse out this data

For item 10.  People might be confused as to what systems are showing up in the list.  People might start thinking that the systems in the list are the systems that were found in a person's HS setup  (which is the case) or could be that the list of systems are the only ones available to download from Hyperbase, etc.  Majority of the people will know that the list of systems are what shows up, however; you may have a few where they be like...is that the only systems available to download from the server?

Just a quick one - I sometimes use my Mac to work on my HS setup and that leaves .ds_store files in directories.

Currently HyperBase Live is picking this up as a system. Maybe add them to an exclusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick one - I sometimes use my Mac to work on my HS setup and that leaves .ds_store files in directories.

Currently HyperBase Live is picking this up as a system. Maybe add them to an exclusion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With XML support in the next version, this bug goes away.

Also, The client for HBL isn't written specifically for windows. So Technically I could make a mac build in the future ;)

1. This is actually done on purpose for the time being. I'll fix the uninstaller shortly though. I keep that file around because it houses the settings. I dont wan't that getting deleted up updates.

2. Easy enough to implement. I'll add it to the list

3. So right now I have a way to validate each system. However, the validation data is not persisted anywhere that we can show the user. I'll have to think about how I would show this data on a screen. 

4. I can use tooltips to explain folders

5. That is a decision for the Admin Team. Default is just what I found it called in the old database.

6. Again, sounds like a job for tooltips.

7. This is more or less the validation step from 3.

8. This will be implemented in the future.

9. I could do this, but where would I keep the backups?

10. I don't understand. What are you renaming systems for?

11. The multiple exe in process monitor is correct. This is the app creating threads. It should close the threads when you close the app. If not, I can look into it with you.

Also from item 3, you can keep it pretty basic....have a query to find the state of your dropdowns.....if all items are syncing then you can display full sync for that system, if only partial media is syncing then you can display partial sync, or if no items syncing you display system not synced.  What would have to be determined is what is considered full sync (ie there would have to be two groups....people with emumovies accts and people with that do not.....for people that have emumovie accounts, then essentially its all dropdowns including video dropdown have something other than do not sync selected.  For people that do not have an emumovie account, this will be all dropdowns minus the video dropdown that have something other than do not sync selected).  Heck instead of displaying a label of the state of sync for the system, you can use a red, yellow, green light system in the upper corner of the system logo or something....like my attachments....j..red means systems not synced, yellow means some items are syncing, while green means all items are syncing.   Just some ideas im throwing out there....

post-14276-0-35625500-1459028024_thumb.p

post-14276-0-95758900-1459028024_thumb.p

post-14276-0-52334000-1459028025_thumb.p

Hopefully I will not get flamed for this, but this seems like an issue that should be addressed. I understand this is public beta so please take this as constructive criticism.

As gamesmame has pointed out the application is spawning several instances, the screen shot he provided was of task manager to illustrate this fact.

Taking a closer look at the processes I found that Electron formerly known as Atom is what is spawning the processes. I am not familiar with Electrons API, but my understanding of it is that it is what provides the web like interface to hyperbase

and seeing that only one web interface is spawned, I am not sure why it is spawning several other processes. This is bad because each process is very resource intensive and it seems like a lot of overhead to just download files? Not sure,

but it seems like the application could be threaded to keep one process running.

If this is not a bug and is working as intended my apologies to the developers. I will definitely keep my eye out for other anomalies.

Thanks for all your hard work guys/gals.

Hopefully I will not get flamed for this, but this seems like an issue that should be addressed. I understand this is public beta so please take this as constructive criticism.

As gamesmame has pointed out the application is spawning several instances, the screen shot he provided was of task manager to illustrate this fact.

Taking a closer look at the processes I found that Electron formerly known as Atom is what is spawning the processes. I am not familiar with Electrons API, but my understanding of it is that it is what provides the web like interface to hyperbase

and seeing that only one web interface is spawned, I am not sure why it is spawning several other processes. This is bad because each process is very resource intensive and it seems like a lot of overhead to just download files? Not sure,

but it seems like the application could be threaded to keep one process running.

If this is not a bug and is working as intended my apologies to the developers. I will definitely keep my eye out for other anomalies.

Thanks for all your hard work guys/gals.

So I have actually addressed this multiple times (once even under the post your referenced). This is more of an architecture question, but I will answer is the best I can without changing the topic.

Electron/atom is a shell to allow for web technologies to be used in a desktop environment via Node. Node by default is a single threaded architecture. (you can read more about why here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17959663/why-is-node-js-single-threaded). What I have done here is turned the process into a cluster of single threads that talk back to one host. So, you will see multiple instances of the same app. This is not an error.

This is also not something new in the world of development. Google Chrome, Slack, and Visual Studio Code all do the same exact thing (and thats just from the apps that I have running right now. Sure there are more.) Please see attached files.

I really do apologize if this is causing some confusion. I honestly was not aware so many of you watched task manager like it was ESPN. What I can do (for those of you who are concerned), I can add a checkbox to tell it to only start one service. But doing so will slow down processing and make things like log updates lag a bit. 

Edit:

It is also important to note that beta two is less resource intensive overall. 

post-16943-0-52664800-1459133832_thumb.p

post-16943-0-60978200-1459133838_thumb.p

post-16943-0-66558900-1459133851_thumb.p

Thanks for the welcome. For the record I was not watching task manager, I was using spy++ to get the meat and potatoes of what was going on. This is something I use for my own application/debugging process. no need to create it as a services unless that is the direction you are intending on going. Thanks for the clarification. I am more of a reader than a poster. Although I think this is showing as my first post since the webpage update.

Fr0stybyt3 I think that having multiple threads while using the Hyperbase Live program is A OK with me....however, the threads should terminate when you close the program out.  Im seeing them still active in task manager.  This is what I meant to say.  Are you seeing this same behavior on your end?  

So here is a quick update on what I am working on.  Post 1 will have this as well

Upcoming in beta 2

• percent loading bars per console
  • feedback about what file is being processed per system
  • console banners and posters (thanks JayC)
  • xml validation for main menu
  • support for EmuMovies user types
  • allow sync on a per console basis
  • disable systems
  • resize tiles on view all page
  • memory optimizations
  • allow for special chars in passwords

Future Plans

• a more intelligent preview 
  • support for non official nameing (snes == super nintendo)
  • better folder browser for initial setup
  • ability to stop sync by console
  • color code game list to show the status of each game
  • split app into client and server
  • auto updater

WHEN IS IT READY!!?!!!!!!!1

I'm taking this coming weekend off. However, I expect to have something late next week. I'll be doing rolling changes like I did last time. Meaning not everything on the Beta 2 list will be available in the first release of Beta 2. As I finish up features i'll release it. 

• Avar locked this topic

Archived