Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How to install HyperSpin

ghutch92

Emulators will not be mentioned because they are already covered in another post.

Programs found to be useful in all HyperSpin setups.

HyperSpin

-- no explanation needed

HyperHQ

-- gui for managing settings for the HyperSpin front end.

HyperLaunch

-- very essential to HyperSpin, it runs all your emulators, handles loading your roms, and other stuff during gameplay.

HyperLaunch HQ

-- gui for managing settings for HyperLaunch. (makes changing settings very easy compared to manual method)

HyperSync (platinum members only)

-- artwork downloader. Updates HyperSpin with available wheel artwork, themes, jump letters, box art, media container art, and preview videos (emumovies subscribers only). Saves months of time in making HyperSpin look nice. Very little user setup needed.

Git + Tortoise Git

-- used in downloading and updating (getting bug fixes) for hyperlaunch. more explanation

HyperTools: List Filter

-- useful for editing what game is in HyperSpin. It has a cell style view of many filtering options for your games. There are alternatives, but this is my favorite one.

HyperTools: List Splitter

-- useful for generating genre xmls to use for HyperSpin's genre feature.

Programs found to be extremely useful/borderline necessary.

utorrent

-- no explanation because you should know why ;)

Daemon Tools Lite

-- useful for loading cd images for cd based emulators/games, supported by HyperLaunch.

7zip

-- useful for archived (zipped) roms. Helps improve storage space on larger roms. Integrated with HyperLaunch. Useful outside of HyperSpin.

xpadder ($10.00 USD)

-- useful for remapping joystick/gamepad controls to keys. Required if you want to use joysticks for HyperSpin menu controls or HyperLaunch menu controls.

joytokey ($7.00 USD)

-- cheaper alternative to xpadder. The user interface is "harder to learn" than xpadder. Less advanced features, less community support.

FileZilla

-- useful for accessing/dowloading/uploading ftps like the HyperSpin ftp (gold/platinum members only) or Emumovies ftp (emumovies subscribers only).

programs found to be useful

Altova XMLSpy (not free)

-- useful in making, editing, and validating any xml, including isd files and HyperSpin xmls. The tree grid view is why this one comes recommended over others.

HyperSpin Startup Script

-- useful for starting keymappers, minimizing windows, and starting/closing other programs when HyperSpin starts

Authotkey

-- useful scripting language for Windows. Good support on these forums. Good documentation. HyperLaunch is written in AutoHotKey.

HyperTools: List Merger

-- does what it says. Easily merge HyperSpin xmls with this utility.

Teamviewer

-- most popular screen sharing utility on forums. Forum users like using this to help others setting up HyperSpin. Good for setting up/managing your Internet connected HyperSpin Setup from the office ;)

or8ital's HyperSpin Helper - 2nd or 3rd display image viewer

-- useful for turning that 2nd screen and/or 3rd screen into a marquee/instruction/image viewer. Seems easy to use. Only useful if you have another display screen. (requires HyperLaunch)

LEDBlinky

-- useful for managing led lights on your arcade cabinet. Most people use it to light the control buttons in different colors based on the game displayed/played

File/Rom Renaming and Management utilities

It is easier to rename your roms to match the official HyperList names than to rename all the associated artwork and files for that game. These tools help you with this.

HyperTools: Rom Renamer

-- uses crc matching and some fuzzy matching to help rename your roms. Easy to use. Disc image renaming is good but does have some issues.

Bulk Rename Here

-- Generic file renamer. Useful for renaming lots of files at once. Looks advanced and extremely powerful. no crc or fuzzy matching.

HyperSync (not this HyperSync)

-- older utility that I used to manually rename my roms before HyperTools. Simple interface. Displays xml list next to list of files.

clrmamepro

-- rom management and manipulation utility. For Advanced Users. likes using dat files.

RomCenter

-- rom management and manipulation utility. For Intermediate/Advanced Users. (I think it's easier to use than clrmamepro.)

Programs found to be useful for artwork and themes.

HyperTheme

-- useful for developing themes and editing theme settings. Able to preview a theme.

Adobe Creative Suite

-- useful for editing and creating artwork and themes.

Gimp

-- free alternative to photoshop, useful for editing images. Does not do fancy custom theme effects like Adobe Creative Suite.

Disclaimers

I will be adding links for all these programs, when I get some time.

If I missed your favorite utility and you want to add it to this list. Private message (PM) me with a link to the utility, give a short description and explain why you found it useful.

Edited by ghutch92
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

HyperLaunch FAQ

How do I get my joystick to work with HyperSpin?

How do I get the HyperSpin Profile working?

1.) Get xpadder $10

2.) Put xpadder in a Utilities folder in your HyperSpin folder (C:\HyperSpin\Utilities\xpadder\xpadder.exe)

3.) Open xpadder, create a controller file left hand corner of xpadder

4.) Create a profile for that controller (right hand corner) with the mappings needed to navigate hyperspin.

5.) Name the newly created hyperspin profile p1. Copy your file named p1 and create three more copies named p2, p3, and p4.

6.) Place these profiles in the folder directory as directed by here

7.) Open up HLHQ highlight the global system click on General Settings tab then click on the smaller 3rd party tab. Find Xpadder path setting and make sure it points to your xpadder.exe

8.) Make sure you also the setting Keymapper Front End Profile Name set to HyperSpin

9.) Make sure you have setting Keymapper Front End Profile set to xpadder

10.) Now click on the big tab Settings and then click on the smaller tab main settings. Set keymapper Enabled to true. (Do not disable keymapper per system)

11.) Set keymapper to be xpadder.

Alright almost there, just a few more steps,

12.) Someone already wrote a startup script for you to take care of xpadder loading so we will use that. Get it here. Carefully read the first post about the settings Keymapper= and Keymapper_Enabled= also be sure to read the last sentence of the post and the sentence above "how to make it work."

This is most of getting the keymapper to work, I may have missed a few small details along the way, but you're smart and you will be able to figure out the details I may have forgot.

Edited by ghutch92

1.) Register as a user. Although I think you have to do this anyway to download HyperSpin :P

2.) Have fun with the HyperSpin community and be respectful.

Asking questions.

HyperNoobie Guide *Pictures Included*

1.) Use the forum search first. Look for a thread related to your topic.

post-57601-1428706084_thumb.jpg

2.) If you found a thread related to your topic read the thread.

3.) If that thread did not answer your question please check the most recent post date in that thread, if it's older than let's say 6 months, start a new thread on the topic. If it's newer than six months reply to the thread using the reply button at the bottom right of the post.

4.) Starting a new thead, first make sure you've already googled your problem and searched the forums here before starting a new thread.

5.) Choose the correct forum section for your topic. (Example: put HyperLaunch questions in the HyperLaunch forum section.)

6.) Make a descriptive title that accurately reflects the topic of your new thread.

Follow The Forum Rules

Under NO circumstances should a member of the HyperSpin & HyperPin forum request where to download or acquire ROMs for any system. This includes asking where to purchase ROMs.

Asking for ROMs is strictly prohibited and will get you banned without warning.

Asking to purchase HyperSpin setups is strictly prohibited!

Private Messaging

Private messaging is just that, it's private. Please do not post problems with another user in public use private messaging to help you and the other user save face. Do not spam someone endlessly with private messages. Treat it like an email system. You can send someone a private message by either clicking on their user name or adding their user name to the recipients field when typing the message.

How to save Sent PM's Click on the Settings link near your username in the top right hand corner of this page. In the left hand pane you should see a section called My Settings and in that category click on General Settings. Here you will find the setting "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" under Sent Private Messages.

Edited by ghutch92
added rfancella's guide link
  • Upvote 1

ill talk to sji about it and see whats up and if we can make it better for everyone

I would love to make tutorials for the wiki but I find it frustrating because you need to be logged in to view the pages. Also the log in does not work for me when trying to log in from multiple computers. It's fine if I only use a single computer. It should be setup like a normal wiki where you can read it if you are not logged in, but to edit it you need to log in.

Systems: Nintendo 64

Basic Setup

1.) Download both r106 and r146 here.

2.) Create a new folder in your emulators folder called 1964.

3.) Create an emulator version folder inside that folder. The latest version at the time of this tutorial is r146

4.) Extract or install the contents of r106 to the new folder you created above. Your path to 1964.exe should now be

C:\HyperSpin\Emulators\1964\r146\1964.exe

5.) Extract or Install the contents of r146 to the same folder as you did r106. Overwrite everything. This installation method is because the r146 install is missing some files that r106 has.

6.) Now double click on the 1964.exe. You should receive a popup asking where your roms are. Point them to your rom folder. If you've followed this guide they will be in

C:\HyperSpin\Games\Nintendo 64

7.) Open HyperLaunchHQ, Highlight Global in the systems panel and then click on the big tab emulators. Find 1964 in this list and double click on it. Now set your path and fill in the rest of the settings

post-57601-142870608397_thumb.jpg

8.) Now highlight Nintendo 64 in the system panel. Click on the big tab Emulators and then add the path to your Nintendo 64 roms to the rom paths field. You can do this by clicking on the smaller green plus button to the right of the rom paths field.

9.) Now set 1964 as your default emulator by clicking on the magnifying glass to the right of the default emulator field and selecting 1964 [Global] in the popup window.

10.) Don't forget that you can edit module settings by highlighting the module in the modules tab and clicking the edit global module settings button.

Advanced Setup

FAQ

Edited by ghutch92

Systems: AAE

Basic Setup

1.) Download the AAE alpha Binary and Update #2 from here.

2.) Create a new folder in your emulators folder called AAE.

3.) Create an emulator version folder inside that folder. The latest version at the time of this tutorial is 12_13_08

4.) Extract or install the contents of the AAE alpha binary download to the new folder you creates in step 3.

C:\HyperSpin\Emulators\1964\12_13_08\aae.exe

5.) Extract or Install the contents of update #2 to the same folder as you did the alpha binary download. Overwrite everything.

6.) Open the aae.ini in notepad. This file is in the same folder as aae.exe. Now remove the # in front of mame_rom_path and set the path to your MAME roms or your AAE roms if you separated them (Example: mame_rom_path = C:\HyperSpin\Games\AAE).

7.) Open HyperLaunchHQ, Highlight Global in the systems panel and then click on the big tab emulators. Find AAE in this list and double click on it. Now set your path to aae.exe and fill in the rest of the settings

post-57601-142870608403_thumb.jpg

8.) Now highlight AAE in the system panel. Click on the big tab Emulators and then add the path to your AAE roms to the rom paths field. You can do this by clicking on the smaller green plus button to the right of the rom paths field.

9.) Now set AAE as your default emulator by clicking on the magnifying glass to the right of the default emulator field and selecting AAE [Global] in the popup window.

10.) Don't forget that you can edit module settings by highlighting the AAE module in the modules tab and clicking the edit global module settings button.

Advanced Setup

FAQ

would it be ok if i added these there for you as a favour just for backup as well if its ok with you of coarse i could make a seperate area for your awesome guides

I don't mind at all if you add stuff from my guides to the wiki. I won't edit the wiki until the issue of needing to log in to only read the articles is fixed.

Edited by ghutch92

What would be nice is when a console name is created via HyperHQ, the next time HLHQ is launched a popup appears with verbiage like, "HyperlaunchHQ has detected a new console system, would you like to see the setup guide now?" and then it simply links to the appropriate section of the Wiki.

I realize it's probably premature to recommend it, but none the less it's one more way to curb "how do I" questions.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ghutch! Thank you so much for the tutorial. In step number 19, when you say to go to the emulators tab and if installed correctly you will see a long list of emulators, I do not see any, only 1, saying, "ExampleEmu 7z,bin Custom_Module_Name_If_Different_Then_Emu_Name" Do you know where I went wrong?

Have you went to

C:\HyperSpin\HyperLaunch\Settings

Scroll down to the bottom and see if you have a "Global Emulators.ini" file setup?

If not you will see the one there named example. Make a copy of it and change the name (remove the Example bit) and open that up and take a look.

Hey Ghutch! Thank you so much for the tutorial. In step number 19, when you say to go to the emulators tab and if installed correctly you will see a long list of emulators, I do not see any, only 1, saying, "ExampleEmu 7z,bin Custom_Module_Name_If_Different_Then_Emu_Name" Do you know where I went wrong?

Step 16.)

16.) Open your HyperLaunch folder (C:\HyperSpin\HyperLaunch), now look for the Settings folder, open it and then rename Global Emulators (example).ini to Global Emulators.ini