Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

RetroArch problem

Aceisback

Don't know if I am just stupid or what, but I am trying to run RetroArch to see if is an improvement over what I am already using with HS. I cannot even get started with RetroArch. I have downloaded the Megapak and when I run RetroArch, I get the following errors:

C:\Games\Retroarch>retroarch

RetroArch [ERROR] :: GL: Invalid enum.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Cannot open video driver ... Exiting ...

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Fatal error received in: "init_video_input()"

C:\Games\Retroarch>

I cannot get anything to run via command line from examples found online or in the Wiki's. Should something happen if I just run Retroarch.exe without any commands?

I am lost, and since the retroarch-phoenix gui is now non-existent, I am lost at setting this thing up. I have searched the web, and cannot find anything that helps me.

Thanks!

It should open up into its gui just by double clicking the exe file. Looking at that error it looks like a video driver error, so you could try opening retroarch.cfg and changing it from video_driver = "gl" to video_driver = "d3d9". I've never had a problem with the GL driver and I like it since it has less input lag than d3d though. You could also try the latest test build linked on their forums here.

• 1 month later...

If you're getting a GL error, then it has to do with your video card drivers. Specifically it's a problem with AMD and their crappy drivers that have always had problems with open GL. One of the reasons why I switched to Nvidia ages ago and never looked back :P

I read that Catalyst legacy drivers do not work with the new GL code they added at the moment (will be fixed soon), so for now try d3d9 or SDL. Could also try a different version for your vid drivers.

Refer to my above post or what awakened said. There's no reason why setting it to d3d9 shouldn't work if you're getting that gl error. Again, it's an AMD driver issue with the latest implementation of opengl in RA.

I wish people would be specific about what they've tried exactly and give info of those results, screenshots would be nice too. Just posting things like, "Doesn't work, help me. No that doesn't work either, what is wrong?" is not going to help anyone guide you to fixing anything..

I had tried the video_driver = "d3d9" thing previously but that did not work.

I finally deleted the retroarch.cfg and ran retroarch again. It created a new retroarch.cfg file which only had a one line entry. I added video_driver = "d3d9" and ran the program again, and it updated the retroarch.cfg and now the program is working on my Win8 machine.

• 5 months later...

Weird. Nothing worked until I did exactly what Aceisback said he did. I'm on Windows 7.

Thanks!!

I have an NVIDIA GeForce8400GS. Not sure why gl doesn't work but d3d9 does. Did I buy a shitty video card?

*update - Updated my video driver from a 2010 version to a 2014. Not sure why it didn't do that automatically when I installed it. Didn't give me the option to click the update driver button either.

• 11 months later...

Had similar gfx_ctx_init problem but Aceisback's d3d9 solution fixed it but next time i loaded RetroArch I got a new host of problems.    I am running a clean install of windows 7 Pro 64bit, and have been following SimplyAustin's video in order(brilliant videos). On the RetroArch one I used all the files provided in his video.  after i fixed the d3d9 dll error I was hit by the following:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

I Google'd relentlessly for 2 days and finally was able to find something on YouTube using dependency walker after loading RetroArch in it I found I was missing 15 dlls.

fixed all but 2 (see image).   Upon further googling I discovered that there are not any 64bit dll files available, has anyone else encountered this? Advice please I'm stumped.

By the way I have read all the comments and tried them too.... DX9... C++ ect.

post-68507-0-41572200-1436015065_thumb.jpg

I sorted this 30 minutes ago.... took my hubby's graphics card out of his pc and let windows configure it.  Trust me I tried everything i could find on the net and nothing else worked I tried everything direct x was an early attempt. Thank you for helping though. I figured I better update in here so others know my fix as well.

My errors have always been operating system and graphics card related and all the other people who have had similar issues have always discovered it was the same. not his packs they are brilliant took alot of guess work out of the setup.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Archived