Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Is My Gateway DX4870 UB2B Worth Upgrading for Hyperspin Gaming?

dizzle1119

First of all I'd like to say that this is my first post. I've been lurking the forum for weeks now as I have been kicking around the idea of a Hyperspin build. Tonight I finally started making a parts list, so I figured this is the best place to bounce my ideas around. 

I'm currently planning my Hyperspin build and I'm wondering if I can use my old PC for this project rather than buying a new rig. The PC in question is a Gateway DX4870 UB2B.

Notable Specs/Parts:
OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64)
CPU - Intel Core i3-3240 (3.4 GHz)
Memory - DDR3 (6gb)

Graphics - on board (crap)
Storage - 1 TB internal HDD

Power Supply - 300w

...and now for the upgrades. This is somewhat pricey (for me, anyway), unless I can find the components I'm looking for in used condition or on sale. I guess that's a possibility, as none of these parts are state of the art or anything.

Upgraded Specs:
OS - no change
CPU - no change
Memory - 2 additional 4gb ddr3 sticks (for a grand total of 14gb)

Graphics - GeForce GTX 750 TI

Storage - 50gb SSD for the OS and 5tb internal HDD for Hyperspin, movies, music, audiobooks, etc etc etc

Power Supply - 500w

Essentially I'm going to end up with a system that has the i3-3240 w/ 14gb of ddr3 and the GTX 750 TI...as well as a SSD for the OS, 5tb of overall storage and the 500w power supply. All for far, far less than $500. I know the rig will still be sorry for most modern PC games...but it SHOULD be able to do what I want with ease (emulate everything up to the Wii/PS2).

So, in closing, what do you guys think of this situation? Should I proceed with this upgrade? Is it too expensive? Are the parts I've selected suitable for turning this PC into a NICE Hyperspin setup, or are there better/cheaper options? Opinions are greatly appreciated, guys. I'm here to learn.

Thanks for your time......

I almost forgot......

The Gateway's motherboard is compatible with i5 and i7 processors, so an upgrade there is possible too if needed. However, based on what I've read, the i3-3240 I have now should be fine. Is it fine, though? Will I be able to play any/all PS2/Wii games at 50-60 frames per second?

Also, I'm a pretty accomplished woodworker, so if this does work out I'll eventually use all of these parts to put together a custom project. I'm hoping I've found a new hobby here.

I think you'll be fine. I would build it without the upgrades to see what it can do first. Consider the upgrades after you see the performance, if you don't like it you can consider other options before you invest in your current setup.

Archived