Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How to set aspect ratio for emulators in HyperSpin?

mosaiclive

Hi- I'm new to all this and have spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to have games in HyperSpin display at 4:3 aspect ratio instead of stretching to fill the widescreen monitor I've got. I watched tons of videos of people playing games on HyperSpin where the games are displaying 4:3 so I know it's possible. A lot of the games look terrible stretched and the classic vertical games are nearly unplayable like that. I spent a lot of time researching this but just can't seem to figure it out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, thanks. I'm still learning so I'm not sure I know enough to actually figure it out without a little more help. I've been surprised there isn't as much info/instruction out there for this topic as I expected. Since so many people nowadays are using wide screen monitors of some kind, I would think this would be an issue for a lot of people. I've been reading/watching a lot of stuff on this topic but just haven't been able to figure out how to get it set right. 

I'm running quite a few: NES, SNES, a ton of the SEGA stuff, all the ATARIs, but MAME is the one that I use most and am most interested in getting set up correctly. I play mostly the "classic" games and am trying to get them to look as good as possible. 

Yeah, like Agent said HyperSpin doesn't control that. You'd need to check each individual emulators instructions and settings.

I run MAMEUIFX as my MAME and the aspect settings are just in the normal MAME settings. Some systems in RocketLauncher also have settings for this in the module. Settings>Module>select your module>click on settings.

As a quick note, I got this computer from someone with hyperspin and all the emulators already set up on it so I'm really having to figure how this all works and where everything is stored. That being said, I found the MAME application (it looks like the Mame logo) I seem to have but it's not the "UIFX" version. In fact, when I open it, it opens into a really strange screen that doesn't seem right. Either I'm not looking in the right place or I don't seem to have the right MAME application I need.

As a quick note, I got this computer from someone with hyperspin and all the emulators already set up on it so I'm really having to figure how this all works and where everything is stored. That being said, I found the MAME application (it looks like the Mame logo) I seem to have but it's not the "UIFX" version. In fact, when I open it, it opens into a really strange screen that doesn't seem right. Either I'm not looking in the right place or I don't seem to have the right MAME application I need.

There are a bunch of "flavors" of MAME, sounds like you have a normal flavor. Not wrong, just different. MAMEUIFX is nice because it has an interface that is easy to use and make changes to settings. Normal MAME looks like a weird dos menu from 1826. Why? No idea. But it's not necessarily wrong. Do you have any idea what version it is (for example the latest version is 173)

I feel for you though. Trying to reverse engineer a setup somebody else put together is much more work than building your own from scratch. One of the biggest reasons we recommend nobody ever buys a pre-built HyperSpin drive. It's damn hard to work or adjust something when you don't know how it works, what version it is, how it was setup, how to change it or how it ties together. And hard for anyone else to help you when you don't have those answers.

Can the person who actually did it help you with it at all?

Okay, thanks for all the help- I'm starting to figure this all out! No, I don't really know the person who put the system I have together. I do have the latest 173 version of MAME, though. Is it easy to update to the MAMEUIFX version? If not, can I make the kind of changes I want to in the strange version I have? I couldn't really seem to figure  out how to navigate around in it much.

Just so you can understand better how I got to where I am: I wanted an arcade machine for years and was researching what my options were. Unfortunately, I'm a long time MAC user and was trying to get a handle on all the PC stuff (last version of windows I used was Windows '95!). At this same time, my wife and I had our first child and the garage got taken over as extra storage so I had no space to start trying to build a cabinet. Long story short, I was looking for a cabinet on Craigslist and came across a decent one that came with a Hyperspin loaded computer already setup. It seemed like the perfect thing for my situation so I got it. I'm actually really happy with it overall but just need to sort out the aspect ratio thing.

Sorry, I was wrong- I've got the much older MAME 143 running on my machine. For some reason I swear I saw it read vs. 173 but I was wrong. That probably explains the much older, 'normal' MAME application I've got. I can't seem to get that DOS looking screening to give me any information or options or anything. I'm starting to feel like I should update but I'm such a noobie at all this I'm a little afraid to mess things up!

Well to update your MAME version you would also need to update all your roms & CHDs to 173 to match (CHD's are the other big files that go with the roms).

To do that and keep from overwriting what you currently have you could make a new MAME folder wherever your current one already is (I'd just call it MAME173 for now), build your new version in there to play and test. Then copy your roms in the old folder into the new folder so you can update the copy without losing the originals (you'll need a lot of HDD space to do this though, a full rom/CHD set is around 400gigs)

Then once you have that newer MAME/roms all working how you want you could delete the old folder entirely and rename the new folder to match the old so all your already existing paths/setup still (hopefully) work.

Thanks again for the help. The more I read about updating, the more it sounds like there's lots of potential for things to go wrong, not work, etc. For someone with my limited knowledge, that seems like it could be a bad idea. I've been trying to get a better handle on what exactly is better in the newer versions to see if it's really worth it or not. If I could just figure out how to get the aspect ration set correctly on mine, I think I'd be fine, at least for a while.

I was able to find and launch the emulators for things like Daphne, SNES, and the Atari systems. However, even after changing the settings in the emulators to "Enforce Aspect Ratio" or similar, applying, and then restarting Hyperspin, the games are all still stretched to fill my widescreen monitor. Is there something else you have to do? I also tried changing things in HyperLaunch but most of the emulators didn't seem to have aspect ratio options in there. 

Yeah man hard to say. There are settings all over so hard to say when you didn't set it yourself.

I don't know what version of MAME you have, but starting with 162 there were pretty major improvements to the GLSL/HLSL shaders (which to me is a night and day difference in how good the games look) and the newer the version the more complete and compatible more games are. 143 is ancient in MAME terms (doesn't mean it can't play all the games you want just fine though)

Daphne is one of the hardest to get setup right. Even knowing what you're doing with HyperSpin and RocketLauncher (which is what replaced the HyperLauncher you 're using) you can have trouble (especially with aspect ratio) getting it setup right. Tackle that when you have the other stuff working.

SNES, Atari systems etc... no idea what emulator (or version) you're using so I can't help you there.

I have no idea about MAME 143 though. I couldn't even tell you if it supported multiple aspect ratios. You could check in the MAME.ini (where it stores the settings) for a line that says "Enforce Aspect" or maybe Auto-Aspect" or "display" etc... to see if you can find a place to try and change it. You could also launch a game then hit TAB to open the in-game options and try the different video settings in there to see what you can change.

Again, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to try and update my MAME since what I've got is so "old". I'm still getting the whole thing setup and haven't customized much yet, etc. so now's as good a time as any. I'll worry about all the other emulators, etc. once I've got MAME working. It's obvious I don't even know enough yet to ask the right questions concerning the different emulators I'm using so once I've updated things, I'll dig into learning more about everything else I've got.

Archived