Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Setting up Playstation Wheel

loueradun

I am trying to get my Playstation Wheel setup for Android and I have been running into some issues...

First of all, I grabbed the "Sony Playstation.ini" from the android settings pack as a base and updated my rom path accordingly.  Initially I was getting kicked right back to the main menu screen and was advised to disable the "romsonly" filter which got all my roms to show properly.  However I am not able to launch any of them as the path is not being formed correctly.  I am seeing the game try to launch a rom from "Playstation/roms/rom name.cue" when my roms are sorted in folders like this: "Playstation/roms/rom name/rom name.cue".

How can I get Hyperspin to include the folder path as well.  I have tried setting searchsubfolders to true but it didn't make a difference.

I can add the extra folder path to the game name in the XML, but this seems like a hack.  Anyone have any suggestions?

So if I put all the bin/cue files in a single folder I'll have more than 5000+ files in there.  Some games have as many as 80 .bin tracks and it would be an ugly mess.  I'd prefer to keep all the .cue files in a single folder and add the path to the reference to the bin files but it would be a lot of work.

What are your opinions of doing something like this in the database file:

<game name="007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA)/007 - The World Is Not Enough (USA)" index="true" image="0">

It seems to work but I'm not sure if there would be any negative consequences...

Also, what does it mean when the romsonly flag is set to true?  Does that mean it only shows a rom on the wheel if it can find the associated rom file (*.cue in this case)?

I was also curious if there is a reason why subfolders don't work in Android?  Is that by design or a bug?  If by design, what is the reasoning behind that?

Thanks!

So I ended up modifying the database using this regex in notepad++.

Search:

(?<=\<game name=\")(.*?)(?=\")
Replace with:
$0/$0
Everything is working as expected now with the roms in their own individual folders.
how in the hell did you figure that out? Can you do a video demo.? Great job

Not sure what the best way to embed a video is, but here is a quick video I took:

http://sendvid.com/zpxq68l3

Basically the steps are this:

Open the database.xml file for the system in notepad++

Search -> Replace

Set "Find what" to: 

Set "Replace with" to:

$0/$0

And finally make sure "Regular expression" is marked in the Search Mode

Click Replace All and then save your file.

If you want to reverse these settings, use these values for the regex:

(?<=\<game name=\")(.*?)/(.*?)(?=\")
$1

Just one last thing, the regex is searching for the string <game name=" and stops when it sees the next double quote so if you have any additional spaces or name is not the first attribute on the game element in the xml then it won't find the right string, but you can likely modify the regex to fit your needs.

Not sure what the best way to embed a video is, but here is a quick video I took:

http://sendvid.com/zpxq68l3

Basically the steps are this:

Open the database.xml file for the system in notepad++

Search -> Replace

Set "Find what" to:

Set "Replace with" to:
$0/$0
And finally make sure "Regular expression" is marked in the Search Mode

Click Replace All and then save your file.

If you want to reverse these settings, use these values for the regex:

(?<=\<game name=\")(.*?)/(.*?)(?=\")
$1
Just one last thing, the regex is searching for the string <game name=" and stops when it sees the next double quote so if you have any additional spaces or name is not the first attribute on the game element in the xml then it won't find the right string, but you can likely modify the regex to fit your needs.

Great work are you into programming???

This seems like quite a high level of notepad skill to, I will be using this for sure

Yes, I am a programmer professionally, although regex is not my strong suit.  Luckily I am very good at searching stack overflow and there are some regex pros on there.

Unfortunately I ran into some side effects of making this change to the database... All the artwork and video is referenced off the "name" property of a game so an additional folder is needed for every type of artwork/video in order to get them all working properly.  I may write a script to do this down the road, but for the moment I'm content with keeping my rom library sorted and not having the artwork.

Ideally I would like to see hyperspin support subfolders on android, perhaps through an argument in the rompath like this:

rompath=Emulators/Sony Playstation/roms/<name>/

where <name> would be replaced by the game name specified in the database upon launching a rom.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread a bit :)

Worked perfect for me here.  I managed to move all Playstation roms into sub directories, juggled the images and it works/plays just fine thru HyperSpin.

Only issue I ran into (that I will test further) was that with roms only set to true - then it didn't show the roms on the wheel - set to false they showed, wheel art, videos, etc and launched just fine.  Possibly the added slash causing problems.

Relatively quick process using loueradun's regex in notepad++ on the database and then a choice of "files 2 folder" extension on PC or the more basic..

select files, rar files, unrar files into separate folders

so for artworks - select all, archive them (files each archive separate file) then select all, extract them to individual folders

So PSX ticked off list and now about to commence on ScummVM and see where I end up :)

Brent

I didnt realise the artwork needed to be in individual folders. That works?

The roms filter probably wont work because I think it is either looking for the extensions in one folder or cant read the subfolders for that feature

You can use dons filter program to match the roms you have to quickly cut down your xml. Not tried it on subfolders though

I automatically put the artwork into folders, assuming if the game was being named and called through the database then the artwork would need the same convention - so to be honest never tried leaving artwork in original folder, it was so quick to put each one in its own folder I done it anyway.

But psx folder is a lot more tidy now anyways

Downside of this naming setup is that anything "don" related needs to be done ahead of time an only when your cues, artwork etc ties up to the database THEN move to folders otherwise heck of a lot of manual renaming

Scummvm thru retroarch is progressing nicely as well though only tested in windows environment will move across to shield testing tonight

Brent

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Yeah i have 1800 pbp to test through but it seems the audio is getting issues as pbp.

I have all mine named to be in the same folder for bin/cue so dont need the subfolders now.

This is an awesome workaround for anyone in the future.

.pbp is "good" as it saves disk swapping however yes audio can be borked, I noticed that in Ridge Racer very early on.  Also some .pbp roms just don't run in emulators, they need to be run on the PSP (yes I still have one) as they were intended to be used. One of the later Final Fantasy games is a good example of this...pity as these games are notorious for spanning multiple disks

Archived