Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Donkey Kong Remix

DJQuad

Has anyone gotten Donkey Kong Remix to work in HyperSpin? For those that don't know, it's basically a hacked rom -

I have the rom, coco3, etc, but I'm not sure how to get a standalone rom working, nor what Emulator would run it. I'm assuming RetroArch would but so far, no luck.

Same goes for another hack called Donkey Kong Deranged.

And a video about Donkey Kong 2K. I know ROM talk isn't allowed but this is how it was obtained if you legally own it -

I have the rom, coco3, etc, but I'm not sure how to get a standalone rom working, nor what Emulator would run it. I'm assuming RetroArch would but so far, no luck.

a coco3  rom is a bios file for the MESS emulator,  so my guess,  confirmed by a goggle search is that you need to run the DKremix.dsk  with MESS with the Color Computer emulator.

their is a donkey kong forum with a step by step instructions on how to run this but I"m not linking it since it contains links to roms.

I got it running in MESS with coco3 but it had the buzz that was mentioned in the thread. I got vcc but I'm not sure how to run the rom. I launched vcc.exe and typed LOADM"DKREMIX":EXEC but got ?IO ERROR

I got it to run with the coco3h bios, and got no buzz

did you change the keyboard input from emulated to natural in the mess settings?

You HAVE to do a command in the next step. So, now, change the Keyboard Mode to Natural. You don't actually have to have to change this, so if you skip this step you need to know that the CoCo3 keyboard does not map to a regular keyboard in the same way. You will need to type @ to get " and type ; to get :

and note that it takes about 30-60  seconds for the game to load.   they recommend you create a save state on the home screen,  and load the saved state for quick loading.

Yep I did everything but doing the save state, including changing the keyboard mode to natural. Correct me if I'm wrong but none of that should affect the buzz and wacky colors? I saw that it takes a long time to load (which it did), but I'm not worried about the loading time at this point.

The buzz seems to happen with MESS versions later than August 2015, whatever version that was at the time. (Per "Something broke in MESS's CoCo 3 sound emulation at some point, which causes that weird buzzing while the game is running")

What version of MESS are you running? I'm running 0.161, and actually installed it only for Donkey Kong Remix. It seems like I just need to run whatever version of MESS you are since versions after August 2015 broke it.

(or how to get it working in vcc since that was one of the solutions)

well the tutorial I saw was using MAME .162,  witch was the first MAME+MESS  release.

I use MESS for multiple systems,  and I only updated it every few releases,  

I'm currently on version .171,   the current release,  is at version  .173

like I said I'm using the coco3h.zip   bios and this is the bat file I'm used

MESS64.exe coco3h -flop1 "C:\Emulators\MESS\MESS\roms\DKRemix.dsk" -ui_active -w -noafs -fs 0 -nofilter

emulator loads in window mode, but that can be easyly changed

-w  : runs emulator in window mode

and the load command I used is different

LOADM "0:DKREMIX.BIN" : EXEC

I was able to get the funky colors in the tittle screen but I was able to change it (I think I used chp-b colors)

and this is what I played

I did not try go get this to work any other way,  the load sequence on this game is not ideal for a cab.   You might be able to create a batch script (AHK more likely)

Star the emulator  with the disk in flop1--> wait a few seconds  -->  load game.  eliminating the need for you to use the LOADM command.

hopefully this game will be ported as a MAME clone in the future till then I'm not messing with it.  Since the graphics on  the MESS (Tandy C.C)  are not similar to the arcade version.

Archived