Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Ready Player One cabinet (completed with link to build gallery)

Hey 'Spinners.  I've returned to the plexi control panel for my newest build with graphics inspired by Ready Player One.  Check it out!

post-20830-0-31553400-1467847455_thumb.jpg

post-20830-0-52118900-1467847807_thumb.jpg

post-20830-0-43569400-1467847562_thumb.jpg

post-20830-0-14162900-1467847582_thumb.jpg

Click to play GIF; idle animation

post-20830-0-46414900-1467847642_thumb.gif

Click to play GIF; backlight color cycle

post-20830-0-59229600-1467847662_thumb.gif

post-20830-0-51426300-1467847702_thumb.jpg

Parts used:

CPU: i5 gen3 3.2ghz, 8GB ram, 1TB SSD with GTX950 graphics card
Monitor: HP ZR30w 
Buttons: IL with RGB LEDs from Paradise Arcade
Coin Mech: 4 slot HAPP
LED and input encoders: Ultimate I/O from Ultimarc (x2)
Trackball, spinner, servostick: Ultimarc
Lightguns: Aimtrak from Ultimarc (x2)
Speakers: Creative 3800 2.1
Vinyl: Orcal
Cabinet: 3/4" birch plywood
Bezel: 1/4" tempered with tint from local shop

Build gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/fL3wO

EDIT: first image is rotated, not sure how to fix.

What a nice build. Good Job!

Since you using the same board as mine Ultimate I/O did you found the wires come with are short in length?

This has two Ultimate baords.  Getting the wires to reach to the player 3/player 4 joysticks is a stretch but the harness does indeed reach just barely.

What level of tint is on the bezel glass?

I'll check, not sure.  The first glass I bought from this company was a dark tint simply called "grey tint" or something like that, but I found the lightgun IR bar didn't transmit through it very well.  This lead to really poor lightgun performance.  I went back for something different that would work with the lightguns and they recommended some kind of IR friendly tint that they use for home theater/stereo stuff that's made to work with IR remotes.  This glass works way better with the lightguns and still provides nice tint.  Check with your glass provider to see if they have "IR" rated stuff if you have lightguns - otherwise a grey tint looks good.  In bright daylight you can see the monitor edge and such but in slightly darkened environments (closed curtains/blinds or at night) all you see is the LCD image.  Painting the interior of the cabinet black is a necessity with this setup though or you'll be able to see the lighter wood surface inside.... I'll take a pic of my NASA cabinet right now since it's bright outside to give you an idea of the look.

If it's the Ultimarc lightgun, there should be a setting to turn up the gain on the ir-led so that it shows through the tint. Tinted bezels and bright rooms are what that setting is for. You can't see the ir-led with the naked eye, but you can use any camera including a cell phone camera to make sure they are visible.

If it's the Ultimarc lightgun, there should be a setting to turn up the gain on the ir-led so that it shows through the tint. Tinted bezels and bright rooms are what that setting is for. You can't see the ir-led with the naked eye, but you can use any camera including a cell phone camera to make sure they are visible.

Even with all IR settings maxed the old standard tint really screwed up the lightgun performance.  Using my cell camera the IR LEDs were visible but very dim.  Tracking would pick up a little but it was very sporadic.  Compared to the IR glass the ligthgun performance is now perfectly synced and accurate with no tracking drops.

Guest rynoman03

Really nice builds. I checked out your FB page. That NASA build is really sweet. 

Did you originally buy a template off a website or did you measure out all the panels and make a custom design for your cabinet?

Just curious as i've been tempted to buy a template kit from NorthCoast Arcade. 

Really nice builds. I checked out your FB page. That NASA build is really sweet. 

Did you originally buy a template off a website or did you measure out all the panels and make a custom design for your cabinet?

Just curious as i've been tempted to buy a template kit from NorthCoast Arcade. 

Thanks!  I just have the sides and control panel template.  Al the middle pieces are just cut to fit as I assemble the cabinet.

Guest rynoman03

Thanks!  I just have the sides and control panel template.  Al the middle pieces are just cut to fit as I assemble the cabinet.

Is that something you would be willing to share if it's in digital format? I assume you would just print it on a plotter?

• 2 weeks later...

Is that something you would be willing to share if it's in digital format? I assume you would just print it on a plotter?

I'll get the templates for my sides posted.  The control board is modified from a "Jarrett" design which I think you can find easily.  

EDIT:  Yep. Easy to find.  Modified this control panel to fit my needs:

http://spaceparanoids.net/spaceparanoids/downloads/space_paranoids_cpo_300dpi.jpg

Question on the Control panel which looks amazing btw..did you use special vinyl for the gfx printing so the light would shine through..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yeah I use @Lucian045 for printing:  http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/507-decals-and-printing-for-your-hyperspin-cabinet/

He did the control panel for me in basically marquee vinyl I think.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic build dude. A Friend and myself are currently in the planning stages of a build and I had a few questions:

Just curious, what was the total build time? And what ate up the most time? Is there anything in hindsight that you would have done differently?

You have done an Amazing job and I can only hope my 'cade will look half as good as yours.

Fantastic build dude. A Friend and myself are currently in the planning stages of a build and I had a few questions:

Just curious, what was the total build time? And what ate up the most time? Is there anything in hindsight that you would have done differently?

You have done an Amazing job and I can only hope my 'cade will look half as good as yours.

One thing to watch out for (if you're using the layered plexi, anyway) is the tmolding cut on the control panel.  With the offset tmoulding cut there will be a very brittle inner edge of the plexi.  Just be careful with it since there's no real going back on that.  

As far as time - the RGB LEDs take the most time.  Figure at LEAST 15 hours if you're sheathing each lead.  It takes forever.  Besides that there are certain parts of the build that take longer - paint, cabinet wiring, software configuring etc.  All in all it's about a couple hundred hours if you do one like this, maybe longer if it's your first build.

I love your build!  I have most of my software configured and working.  Now I'm looking at figuring out my cabinet design.  And what I'd like to do is very similar to your project.  I'm just in the "figuring" it all out stages and the wood working isn't my strong point but I think I handle it.  I'm trying to find the right design for the sides and yours looks like what I'm looking for.  You said you'd maybe get the template for your sides posted.  I see the link to the control board but not the sides unless I missed them?

EDIT:  I think I found them on your facebook page.  I must say I spent a lot of time going through the images on your face book page and you do some killer work!

I also have a few questions on the sticks, spinner, and trackball.  I found the RGB LED buttons, however I'm wondering how you get the rgb light effect though the base of the sticks?  The Ultimarc ones I found online don't have any rgb led along with them.

I love your build!  I have most of my software configured and working.  Now I'm looking at figuring out my cabinet design.  And what I'd like to do is very similar to your project.  I'm just in the "figuring" it all out stages and the wood working isn't my strong point but I think I handle it.  I'm trying to find the right design for the sides and yours looks like what I'm looking for.  You said you'd maybe get the template for your sides posted.  I see the link to the control board but not the sides unless I missed them?

EDIT:  I think I found them on your facebook page.  I must say I spent a lot of time going through the images on your face book page and you do some killer work!

I also have a few questions on the sticks, spinner, and trackball.  I found the RGB LED buttons, however I'm wondering how you get the rgb light effect though the base of the sticks?  The Ultimarc ones I found online don't have any rgb led along with them.

All you need to do is drill a recess under the control panel and insert the LEDs there. 

Pic:  http://i.imgur.com/vnBIJNT.jpg

Ahh OK I see.  So I did find the actual Led lights for the sticks.  So those you just add below in the recess and it glows through.  Do you use a special piece that allows the light through or will the part that comes with the stick work? Cool Thanks!  It's starting to come together.  I'm not sure when I'll get the green light from the misses to start this project but I'm starting to get my plans together.  First stage obviously will be to get some wood and start building the cab.  Hopeing to start that this winter.  So I have a little time until I start wiring up buttons and sticks.  Still good to understand how I can get things to work and where to get them.

Another thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is what your using for a bezel around the monitor?  Is it that you just have a tinted piece of plexi glass covering the monitor?

Very nice Cab!  :thumbsup:

What Operating System are you using?

Windows 7 Pro x64

Ahh OK I see.  So I did find the actual Led lights for the sticks.  So those you just add below in the recess and it glows through.  Do you use a special piece that allows the light through or will the part that comes with the stick work? Cool Thanks!  It's starting to come together.  I'm not sure when I'll get the green light from the misses to start this project but I'm starting to get my plans together.  First stage obviously will be to get some wood and start building the cab.  Hopeing to start that this winter.  So I have a little time until I start wiring up buttons and sticks.  Still good to understand how I can get things to work and where to get them.

Another thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is what your using for a bezel around the monitor?  Is it that you just have a tinted piece of plexi glass covering the monitor?

No bezel, just tinted glass.  With the interior being painted black all you see in the monitor area is the LCD image.

Archived