Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Do ALL databases use latest Rev versions ALL the time?

phantasy

Since the databases thankfully apply the simple naming scheme of title and region, I sometimes second guess which rom variant to use. If I have an original rom, a revision (Rev A), or some later version, be it Rev E, or Ver 3.4 for example, is the latest revision the one to choose?  It would seem obvious (most bugfixed in general- why release an updated version otherwise?)  but...

Is it a steadfast rule, a sometimes rule, or a seldom one?

Are there exceptions where an earlier version is used because the latest is only available as a bad dump, or the 'fixed' revision broke other game code, or revision removed original features like mid-90s blood 'n gore concerns?

Since the databases thankfully apply the simple naming scheme of title and region, I sometimes second guess which rom variant to use. If I have an original rom, a revision (Rev A), or some later version, be it Rev E, or Ver 3.4 for example, is the latest revision the one to choose?  It would seem obvious (most bugfixed in general- why release an updated version otherwise?)  but...

Is it a steadfast rule, a sometimes rule, or a seldom one?

Are there exceptions where an earlier version is used because the latest is only available as a bad dump, or the 'fixed' revision broke other game code, or revision removed original features like mid-90s blood 'n gore concerns?

As mentioned a few times - don't get lost chasing CRCs.  It's a complete waste of time.

We don't include the rev tags in the game names, but yeah you would want to be using the latest rev in your sets - as that should give you the best version of the game.  CRCs however are unlikely to be updated just because a different rev of a game has been dumped.

Your assumptions around bad dumps are correct - if a later revision has a bad dump, roll back to the latest revision with a good dump - baring in mind that this is something you need to do with your own set, CRCs in the databases don't and won't reflect this.  The main things for matching roms to our lists are name and region - if those match your good.

Yeah, my view on crcs are IF I'm lucky, super- if not that's fine too.  CRCs are good for Don's tools to find stuff easier. :) I was thinking more content or cool feature. Though I don't know if it applies in this case, imagine Zillion for the SMS- it had a bug where you could become invincible for the rest of the game at one point.  That's so ingrained in many fans' mind that it would be a shame if a revision 'fixed' that. 'Last Battle' in Japan has blood while the American version does not. Perhaps there was a US version that maintained the blood from the original... that sort of thing. 

I know that would come down to fans of any individual games that applies to to know that... :)

Yeah, my view on crcs are IF I'm lucky, super- if not that's fine too.  CRCs are good for Don's tools to find stuff easier. :) I was thinking more content or cool feature. Though I don't know if it applies in this case, imagine Zillion for the SMS- it had a bug where you could become invincible for the rest of the game at one point.  That's so ingrained in many fans' mind that it would be a shame if a revision 'fixed' that. 'Last Battle' in Japan has blood while the American version does not. Perhaps there was a US version that maintained the blood from the original... that sort of thing. 

I know that would come down to fans of any individual games that applies to to know that... :)

Absolutely - A lot of people swop out the games in the official lists with versions that they prefer.  Those examples are prime cases for doing that.

Well, the databases are mostly based off no intro rom naming convention which doesn't include revision/version number and all that junk. Those sets with like 5 or more of some roms sometimes are a waste. Look in the right places and you will find sets that are pretty much spot on to the HS databases.

Well, the databases are mostly based off no intro rom naming convention which doesn't include revision/version number and all that junk. Those sets with like 5 or more of some roms sometimes are a waste. Look in the right places and you will find sets that are pretty much spot on to the HS databases.

I think the question was more around swopping out games in the official list with variants that he likes better.

Yes, I do mean those rare case things where you have to be careful.  Ignoring Disc #s, Look at Sega CD's 'Night Trap'... for THAT it nearly was (i nearly fell into this naming trap, at night- I was tired)

Night Trap (USA) (v0-199412) (DW0279)

Night Trap (USA) (v1-199209) (DW0223)

'v1' sounds like a revision, but the code after the dash implies Sept. 1992 whereas 'v0' is Dec. 1994. It prompts the date versus revision number question of which to trust is the newest. You can say 'either one will do' or look deeper; the difference here being the original v1 has a tame shower scene that prompted outcry so the later non-intuitive revision number 'v0' is a censored version.

So if you are a 'Han shot first' Star Wars stickler who likes completeness and original creator vision, you would go for the uncut:

Night Trap (USA) (v1-199209) (DW0223)

So, if there isn't a thread already, maybe this can turn into one for such suggested rare changes by the fans?  This somewhat falls into my "When the Japanese version was better..." thread

Archived