Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin hardware - HDMI vs VGA

Anon512

Is there a difference?

If not, that is great because I could save a a lot of money by purchasing a PC that just has a VGA connection instead of HDMI.

I am of course talking about the Windows PC that you use to run Hyperspin (hardware).

Do you see a difference in quality of the display of the games when comparing an HDMI connection to the display compared to a VGA display connection?

Me personally I don't see much difference between the 2.

HDMI is more compatible most monitor's and TV's have HDMI and it runs both your display and audio through 1 cable.

VGA you have to have 2 cables 1 for your display and another for audio.

Is there a difference?

If not, that is great because I could save a a lot of money buy purchasing a PC that just has a VGA connection instead of HDMI.

I am of course talking about the Windows PC that you use to run Hyperspin (hardware).

Do you see a difference in quality of the display of the games when comparing an HDMI connection to the display compared to a VGA display connection?

Well, my first knee-jerk reaction to the question was "Of course it does!".... but I suppose it depends on what your going to use as a display. 

I think of it this way:

VGA uses analog signaling and is best suited to analog displays (CRT's)

HDMI uses digital signaling and is best suited to digital displays (LCD/LED flat panels)

If you have a flat panel with a VGA input, it will NOT look as good as a digital source (HDMI, DVI-D) would... period. The monitor has to convert and scale the signal and there will always be inaccuracies... generally I've seen that the less expensive the hardware, the worse this becomes.  I used to run VGA to my panels when I first got them (some of my PC's only had VGA at the time) and where this "inaccuracy" was most noticeable was when viewing small-ish text.  Depending on what systems you run through Hyperspin, there might be text or other details small enough where this could manifest itself! It made a world of difference when I changed to a digital input.  This allows an accurate 1:1 mapping of each pixel to the exact point on the screen (assuming you set the PC's resolution to match the native resolution of the display)

On the other hand, if you intend to use an "analog" display, then it will likely not support digital input anyway, and even if it did it would provide negligible benefit.  If you were to use DVI-I, with an adapter for VGA, then you are back to the analog video signal and again have no benefit.

Personally, I only use panels at this point and there is no way I would connect these with a VGA cable (even though most of them have a VGA input). When I look around online there are some really crazy good deals on inexpensive but decent digital panels and video cards with at least DVI outputs, if not HDMI... but depending on where you are located your mileage may vary I suppose. 

Hope this helps...

dinodino

• 2 weeks later...

Me personally I don't see much difference between the 2.

HDMI is more compatible most monitor's and TV's have HDMI and it runs both your display and audio through 1 cable.

VGA you have to have 2 cables 1 for your display and another for audio.

All joking aside here is a video if anyone really doesn't know the difference between the signals

[media]

[\media]

Hello,

I started exactly with the same question 2 years ago to build my cab. For the 2nd monitor I choosed the VGA- way - today I can say a clear mistake! Why? most of the better grafic cards do not have a VGA output and if they have (in my case a GTX750), the best possible resultion is lesser than on digital interfacing. See attached pics when I switched the playfield from VGA to HDMI.

VGA:

post-131383-0-81424800-1476784217_thumb.jpg

HDMI

post-131383-0-24391000-1476784227_thumb.jpg

Good luck, Christian.

Archived