Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

4:3 to 16:9 Art Scaler

SIMPLYAUSTIN

Exactly what it says in the title.. I live the Unified Megatheme stuff all made for the Widescreen... its amazing as it means I have a minimum of stretched themes on my system. However apart from just a few wheels almost all my covers, wheels etc is stretched and warped when sized into my 16:9 screen.

I know theres some voodoo you can do and I even heard of a Tut available to resize some themes.

Has anyone got a program, can make a program or even a Batch script for PS so I can resize my art in a 1'r. I dont mind then sharing all the resized stuff for others in the same boat with warped art.

It would be handy top have something that you could input your rez and it would change the art to suit that spec??

If you dont ask... you dont get... thanks all!

Thanks Gigapig. Yes that does help alot. I have been keeping a tab on that stuff as I use many of those themes to combat the stretch issues. Problem is that it doesnt do anything to sort out the wheels, boxes and carts :(

I understand the theory of it. I just do not know how to put it into practice. Scaling up/down a theme is simple as you have set dimensions of what it is to start (eg 4:3 res) and what it is you want when finished (eg 16:9 res). You can google these no problem to get it to fit exact. The only issue which makes those such a pain is putting them through flash to get rid of the jaggies to upscale.

The Quality is not so much an issue for me as the scale would be going down in my case. The problem is that all the art is made for a 4:3. So that when a CD case for example which should be almost a square is upscaled to a 16:9, it looks like its a rectangle due to the stretch. It looks crazy with elongated boxes such as N64 and SNES. Same goes for almost every wheel.

Now an easy one to scale would be a wheel. I know that if its an official set, the width should sit around the 400px mark. If I new show much to shrink only the width so that when it does become upscaled by HS, it displays as the size it was intended to. Hehehe this is hard to explain!!

Now once I know that, I then need some kind of macro, or file etc to do each and every wheel for each and every system.... thats the easy part ;)

Now for example the Box artwork. This comes in all kinds of sizes. I would need to esure that the batch I was working on was the exact same size as each other. Then figure again the ratio to shrink the width to do exactly the same... again this number would be completely dif due to the scale factor of the art.

I would then have to do this for each batch of art I wanted to display in each Artwork 1, 2 , 3 , 4 folders. Times that by over a 100 wheels. ... each with an average of 200 wheels also..... thats alot of work without something to help out??

Hehehe... its confusing me even talking about it. My maths is terribad... but do you get me??

I use a program called fotosizer. It's free and resizes all your artwork for you with one simple click. I used it for all my wheels and covers.

Just drag all your art into it, type in the dimensions you want and press the resize button. I t will resize everything within a matter of seconds into any image format you want (png in this case)

No need for messy photoshop scripts.

http://www.fotosizer.com/

Exactly!!!! I currently have this in and around my mouth ;) Thanks sooooo much for it. I knew I wasnt going crazy :)

1 lil thing. Maths and me do not mix. How the hell do I get the measurements to downsize?? Is there a ratio I should know. I know as I type this theres something really obvious and whilst you read this your all grinning... But me and Maths... nah!

I no longer use box art and carts in my themes because I have OCD and that stuff is not available for all system but when I started doing it, I would open up the theme in photoshop in 1920x1080, bring in the art work and resize it to fit. than I would shrink everything down to 1024x768 and check the size of the artwork and imput those dimentions into photosizer.

It's a bit of work but this is necessary because not all artwork comes in the same size. You also have to modify the theme to accept art work.

My system currently looks like this (no box artwork): http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?31490-New-Unified-Megatheme-Other-systems&p=312842&viewfull=1#post312842

To have the best possible result you need 2 softwares: photoshop and flash.

Open an artwork and start recording a new photoshop action, resize the image with % and independent proportion: 100% on Y and 75% on X, save the image and stop recording. Now launch the recorded action on a folder containing images you want to convert. Once converted every artwork follow my signature link and download the .jsfl action to automatically convert a folder of .png into .swf. The smooth option in flash greatly reduce jaggies on artworks.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked like a charm guys! Im smashing my way through art at the moment. However there is just one lil issue. Some art in .png has various size borders. So if I resize the images are still not right. How would I first auto crop a folder to get rid of the unused pixels so I can then resize??? Has to be a way??

EDIT: GOOGLE and YOUTUBE to the rescue. Today I learned about batch automation in Photoshop. Took me a while, but now I know :D

Take another look here http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?37342-Batching-PNGs-into-SWFs&p=372509#post372509

I did some changes in the script, now there's a script that converts 1080p pngs artwork to 1024*768 ratio corrected swfs artworks. A bit of testing is needed as I haven't tested them intensively but they should work like a charm. The idea is simple: prepare assets for a future proof 1080p theme, save them as pngs for future use and then convert those assets for the current version of hyperspin :D

• 4 months later...

I too am looking for detailed tutorials or tips on how to make 16:9 widescreen themes (or convert older, existing themes to 16:9) for hyperspin using Flash & Photoshop but none of the links seem to be working anymore.  Anyone know what happened to them?  The ones above seem really useful but can't be found, alas.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/9/2015 at 8:01 AM, Styphelus said:

I use a program called fotosizer. It's free and resizes all your artwork for you with one simple click. I used it for all my wheels and covers.

Just drag all your art into it, type in the dimensions you want and press the resize button. I t will resize everything within a matter of seconds into any image format you want (png in this case)

No need for messy photoshop scripts.

http://www.fotosizer.com/

Yeah...that's a real good program there. EXCEPT the damn thing adds " (Copy)" to the end of every file by default. The damn thing even does it even though it's not saving in the folder of the original files! Not particularly useful when you're trying to resize a massive amount of box art. Fucking aggravating.

Edit: I'm a fucking retard. Carry on with your lives.

• 6 months later...

Is any of this resized art available to download as a bundle?  It would seem that someone would have done this by now.... in fact, you would think it would be in the ftp or even hypersync as an option. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people use 16:9 monitors, and would want artwork that is sized for that.

Archived