Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LotarisPin - Standard Size - Two Monitors (40/26)

freezy

Hi guys,

I think everybody starts the first build thread with the same intro and I'm no different. ;)

After months of reading and planning, the work has finally started. The hardware I got together a few weeks back, but the cabinet building session was not until last weekend. I have to thank everybody in this forum, specially maxxsinner, DeeGor and many more, you've been really helpful!

Cabinet

PC Hardware

Screens

Controllers

Power Supply

Force Feedback

Lights

Electronics / Wiring

Misc. Cabinet Stuff

So first of all I started drawing up plans and showing them to different people and after lots of discussions I ended up with something like this (click for PDF version):

freezy-plans-v6.1.png

While drawing the plans, Google Sketchup was very useful since it allows to import the surfaces I was drawing, extrude them and virtually build the cabinet. This made me realize some errors I probably would have discovered only when trying to fit the wooden parts!

freezy-google-sketchup.png

I've also spent a lot of time figuring out how to wire stuff and how components work and which to order. Finally I came up with this plan (click for PDF):

freezy-wiring-v1.6.png

I'm probably going to bug maxxsinner again before really wiring it, but I've understood most principles and I'm quite sure this could work.

So let's see the pics! I was very lucky to have a mate whose father in law is a carpenter, so he let us use his gear (and professional advice) for two days and we managed to finish the whole woodwork!

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

So the next thing is the paint. Pictures will follow! :)

Cheers,

-freezy.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one reason for one vertical screen and fake DMD: I'm on a budget. ;) However, the speaker panel's DMD hole is already in the right size for a real one. Would just need to turn the monitor and add some bevel. Maybe a future extension :)

Theme is not clear yet, need to do some brain storming.

Decided on how to layout the drawer. Had to cut off the top of those copper heat conductors of the CPU cooler since otherwise the drawer wouldn't close. Still a very tight fit.

IMG_1960.jpg

Otherwise I've started wiring but didn't get very far.

IMG_1964.jpg

And the hardware still works :)

IMG_1966.jpg

Ummmmm....not to rain on your parade, but won't the coolant in the heat pipes rain on your motherboard when that sucker really heats up?

Just thinking out loud....

The coolant seems to be copper. Do you think it'll get liquid or something?

Heat pipes (those copper tubes) usually have a coolant in them that boils as it heats up and turns to gas. That gas rises to the top of the pipe, cools, condenses and returns to the bottom of the pipe to repeat the cycle. It's like an air-conditioner for your cpu. If it was going to spray, it probably would have by now, but keep an eye on your cpu temp until you are sure that it won't run away from you.

There is one reason for one vertical screen and fake DMD: I'm on a budget. ;) However, the speaker panel's DMD hole is already in the right size for a real one. Would just need to turn the monitor and add some bevel. Maybe a future extension :)

Theme is not clear yet, need to do some brain storming.

I'm looking to do a two screen setup just like you did. Are you running Future Pinball or Visual Pinball?

Beautiful work here! Will be following your progress!

Do NOT use that heatsink.... You have ruined it and it will NOT cool your CPU. Those copper pipes have a gas in them, as has been said.. Not usually, but ALWAYS!!!

When you cut the top off those pipes, you ruined the heatsink. You cannot fix, you cannot patch it. You will have to replace it.

Do NOT use that heatsink.... You have ruined it and it will NOT cool your CPU. Those copper pipes have a gas in them, as has been said.. Not usually, but ALWAYS!!!

When you cut the top off those pipes, you ruined the heatsink. You cannot fix, you cannot patch it. You will have to replace it.

I see. I'll just use the box cooler for now.

I'm looking to do a two screen setup just like you did. Are you running Future Pinball or Visual Pinball?

Beautiful work here! Will be following your progress!

The photo shows VP, but I'm planning to run also FP and even pinball arcade if they manage to produce a PC version before the apocalypse.

very nice - another 40" build - welcome to the club - I'm currently building a 40" P2K in another thread. I probably should upload some more pics as its been a few weeks since I last updated.

I see you are using the creative T3 speakers. I have the same speakers connected to my cab but haven't worked out how to mount the base box due to the 3 speaker layout. I pulled the base module apart, only the front speaker is active the two side base speakers are passive (driven by the air movement of the active speaker). How are you intending to mount it? If you've got it working nicely I'd like to copy. I've currently got my base box sitting on the floor under the cab.

Good luck with the rest of the build

Mike

First layer done:

IMG_20120808_191936.jpg

@mike1: Not sure I understand your problem. My base box a.k.a bass tube sits in the middle of the cabinet. There is one round hole where the front speaker goes out. The two satellites are screwed into the backbox so they won't move. I'll post photos when the paint job is done and everything mounted again.

Archived