Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

NEO GEO AES (Easy way to force AES mode?)

Aorin

Hi, thanks for reading this.

I'm sure that this probably has been already covered here, but lots of old links doesn't work anymore.

I also think that some people doesn't know the differences between MVS and AES modes in NEO GEO.

For those who doesn't know.

SNK NEO GEO arcades used carts as the console does, at that time, the arcade used the bios in MVS mode (this mode needs coin and doesn't have options as the console has, like difficulty, custom buttons binding, practice mode, single mode, etc.)

So I have a wheel both for MVS and AES modes, but all my AES games firstly start in MVS mode and I have to switch them one by one in the bios options to AES mode, is there a way to switch this mode in one shot? Maybe a pre configured file or something?

Thanks again!

I struggled with this for a while, then I just setup mess to run it and was in MVS mode all the time.

Don't worry about the deleted posts, they mostly said no point running in AES mode because MVS the same - but like you, I wasn't happy with that; because its not ;)

You don't say what emulator ur using, so if already mess abd u getting problems I'll check my settings out so I can be more specific.

Ok, so I didn't really do anything special, but to get things worked same as me you need to:

1. Download MESS and put it wherever you put your emulators

2. Also download MESSUI and drop it in same folder as the MESS.exe (this lets you configure mess without needing to use command lines)

3. Search for and download AES bios (its called aes.zip) and put it in the roms folder of your MESS setup - keep it zipped up

3. Open up MESSUI, scroll down the massive list of systems in the left window pane until you find Neo Geo AES

4. Right click neo geo aes and choose audit

5. Mess will now scan the roms folder to see if you have THE CORRECT aes.zip - if it does you will see "passed" in the window. If it doesn't you will need to search for a different aes.zip

6. In Hyperspin, ensure your AES wheel is called "SNK Neo Geo AES"

7. Make sure you have a database xml in the hyperspin>databases>SNK Neo Geo AES folder (the Neo Geo one in hyperbase works fine, if you want to be extra OCD you can manually edit this to remove the few games from it that never got an aes release)

8. Go to HLHQ and in global > Emulators make sure you have set the location of the MESS.EXE for the mess emulator to function (do not point to the UI exe)

9. Still in HLHQ click on the "SNK Neo Geo AES" system on left hand side

10. Click on emulator tab, choose MESS as your default emulator

11. In roms directory, select where your NEO GEO roms are. The XML uses same files and naming as MAME, so if you already have mame setup; point to the directory with those games in. If you do not have mame setup, get the MAME neo geo roms and put them in an SNK Neo Geo AES folder and point to that instead

12. That should be it, test and enjoy! :) MESS only has the AES bioses, so your games when launched from your aes system will not be able to launch in MVS mode - you can tell its worked because you will already have credits when game boots up.

13. Easiest way to setup controls in MESS is when running a game, hit tab key and choose "input this system" - you can set controls that will apply to all neo geo aes games

14. You can also use the tab option in mess to specify the exact aes bios to use by choosing the bios selection option - I just set mine to japan aes

You've probably done most of the above already so apologies if there is a lot of repitition, just thought I'd put everything down to make sure everything covered. And in case you haven't noticed yet, little things that you might think do not matter (like specific name of system) really do matter. This is because some of the hyperlaunch modules only do the correct options if system name is exact.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Im having trouble getting Neo Geo AES to come live in Mess. I have the correct configuration files but I cannot get rid of the red x.

I guess you using messui? Right click the neo geo AES icon and choose properties. On one of the tabs (think its called aidit from memory) it will tell you what bios file it is searching for and current status. Red x means your aes.zip file is either not being found or not correct version. The audit tab will tell you which one.

If not found, go to software tab and make sure folder aes.zip is listed.

If not correct version or missing files you'll need to search for and download new AES. Zip

Once u made changes right click AES icon again and hit audit. Red x will go once right files are in right location

Hi thanks i will give it another go. The aes files I have are the ones it is looking for. They must be the wrong type. I am not having much luck on the net. Have tried about 3 different files so far and there dont seem much about.

Hmm, I need to tread carefully here because sharing links etc is against rules and - I also do so much searching for stuff I never record where I get my files from anyway. But hopefully is OK to say this...

Different emulators use different bios files so when searching always include emulator name. Mess also gives you audit results saying what individual files in zip are missing or corrupt, so I have in past searched for just individual files and dropped them in to bios zip to make it good.

Hope that's OK to say...

Hi thanks.I obtained a 458meg bios pack and still no luck!Plenty of other sytems but not that! I have spent hours trying to get this going and not having much luck with mess at all.

I have put winkawaks om and that is runnong great. However that seems to crash hyperspin/hyperlaunch on exit.

So frustrating as I really want Neo geo running.

Hi thanks.I obtained a 458meg bios pack and still no luck!Plenty of other sytems but not that! I have spent hours trying to get this going and not having much luck with mess at all.

I have put winkawaks om and that is runnong great. However that seems to crash hyperspin/hyperlaunch on exit.

So frustrating as I really want Neo geo running.

I have struggled to get it working in mess. You can always run the MVS version in mame?

Ok, so I have attached an image of the contents of my aes.zip file. All I can suggest is looking at yours and search for any files you do not have and replacing (check CRC values). This has worked for every version of mess I have had is still passing audit for latest version (0.162)

From memory I think I built this myself so it may be that some files are not needed but I can guarantee if you have all these files it will work - infact I'm gonna post an image of the audit check too so you know it is possible. I didn't do anything special to get this (just google) so the files are out there :)

post-48815-0-07977900-1433583937_thumb.png

post-48815-0-23087200-1433584293_thumb.png

Ok, so I have attached an image of the contents of my aes.zip file. All I can suggest is looking at yours and search for any files you do not have and replacing (check CRC values). This has worked for every version of mess I have had is still passing audit for latest version (0.162)

From memory I think I built this myself so it may be that some files are not needed but I can guarantee if you have all these files it will work - infact I'm gonna post an image of the audit check too so you know it is possible. I didn't do anything special to get this (just google) so the files are out there :)

Thanks I will continue to dig!

Archived