Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin live on Google Play!!

reznnate

Again...

Device support is very limited for this initial release.  

It only runs on devices with Android 4.4+ and NVIDIA OpenGL drivers.

If you are one of the few with such devices, you can check out the app here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shieldcade.hyperspin

For those who have been helping with beta-testing, be sure to get this update, it includes a number of improvements.

Hi all, let me start by saying hyperspin looks amazing, I have been using emulators for around 20 years and remember seeing this project a few years ago thinking it would be great to have a frontend like that, only I never have gotten around to trying it.

I currently use Gamesome for android to satisfy my retro cover needs but obviously with hyperspin the possibilities are endless so if somebody would be kind enough to point me in the right direction for covers/intros/themes etc (forgive me if I got any of these wrong).

I will say that I have a number of romsets with their original file names and I'm using the nvidia shield tablet on lollipop if that's of any help. I hope to get some feedback as I would very much appreciate the help.

Cheers.

There are various tutorials that will walk you through the process of building your first Hyperspin setup.    But the actual process of "building your first Hyperspin setup" is as non-trivial as it sounds.

I'm working on a basic tutorial for newbies but I recommend downloading the Windows Hyperspin package 1.3.3 and start there...    

It shows you the basic directory and file structure.  I suggest you focus on MAME initially.

Once happy with it, you can move it over to Android.  I use sdcards and usb-drives for this.

Keith

Thanks for your hard work, unfortunately I don't have such device, but I'll keep my eyes on that.

My current Android Smartphone is a Xperia SP, which is a great device, hope more devices get support with Android Hyperspin soon.

>> My current Android Smartphone is a Xperia SP, which is a great device, hope more devices get support with Android Hyperspin soon.

I'm not familiar with that device but you really want USB ports for storage and HDMI for TV/monitor output.  

As an arcade cabinet interface, it will work very well with new Android TV boxes.

Hyperspin wheels require a TON of storage.   My MAME wheel alone barely fits on a 64GB sd card.

Yeah, you're right.

This smartphone has USB output for Video, I use it in a 40" TV, it plays NDS, PSP, Dreamcast at 60 fps in most cases.

It would be nice trying HS in it, for now I'm using a simple but interesting frontend for Android called Gamesome, so far Android had no other choices.

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind seeing this working on an odroid.

Exactly what I was saying Zinger19. HyperSpin on Odroid would be a match made in heaven. I'm tempted to buy a Shield TV when they're released, but I'm thinking I'll wait for expanded Android support so I can bake it into an Odroid build.

Once happy with it, you can move it over to Android.  I use sdcards and usb-drives for this.

Is migrating a build from Windows to Android really that simple? Obviously directory paths would have to be changed, but still - that's amazing. So awesome seeing HyperSpin evolving into a versatile, cross-platform app.

Is migrating a build from Windows to Android really that simple? Obviously directory paths would have to be changed, but still - that's amazing. So awesome seeing HyperSpin evolving into a versatile, cross-platform app.

That has been the goal.  It's not perfect yet and a number of features are missing.   But if your Windows Hyperspin setup is on a USB HD, it should 'just work'.  

Android emulators and rompaths are defined in the settings.ini folder.    You can create a separate settings folder (if you want to retain the windows version) called Settings_Android.

I uploaded a bunch of mine as examples.

Man this is making me consider getting a shield tablet. Nice work!

Would this work on a nexus 7 if i had the .apk?

Thanks.   There isn't much other hardware support yet.   The focus is on adding missing features, bug fixes, etc.

Also, I am selfishly focused on my Shield handheld and my arcade project (targeting the new Shield TV -- shield.nvidia.com... in a few weeks ).

I tested it on the nexus 7 but it doesn't work.   The old one with Tegra3 may be failing due to Android 4.3 (4.4+ is required).   The newer Nexus7 with Qualcomm drivers don't work yet.

It works with the Nexus 9 (and it looks GREAT) but the Nexus 9 lacks support for external USB (I think) and sdcards.  :-(

Thanks.   There isn't much other hardware support yet.   The focus is on adding missing features, bug fixes, etc.

Also, I am selfishly focused on my Shield handheld and my arcade project (targeting the new Shield TV -- shield.nvidia.com... in a few weeks ).

I tested it on the nexus 7 but it doesn't work.   The old one with Tegra3 may be failing due to Android 4.3 (4.4+ is required).   The newer Nexus7 with Qualcomm drivers don't work yet.

It works with the Nexus 9 (and it looks GREAT) but the Nexus 9 lacks support for external USB (I think) and sdcards.  :-(

Hows performance on the shield console?  Between that or the tablet which do you prefer?

It depends.   All have HDMI and support SDcard and USB hard drives... which is key if you want multiple wheels and videos for Hyperspin.

Shield portable is my favorite portable but has the weakest processor.  A new, faster version is rumored.

Shield tablet has a similar cpu but has a better GPU (TK1) for things like PPSSPP and Dolphin.   You'll need an external controller, touch-controls are not yet supported.

The upcoming Shield TV isn't portable but has a faster 64b-CPU and GPU (TX1) so will be best for newer system emulators.

It includes a wireless controller and has better thermals for long-play gaming of high-end apps/games.   A 500GB-storage version is rumored.

It depends.   All have HDMI and support SDcard and USB hard drives... which is key if you want multiple wheels and videos for Hyperspin.

Shield portable is my favorite portable but has the weakest processor.  A new, faster version is rumored.

Shield tablet has a similar cpu but has a better GPU (TK1) for things like PPSSPP and Dolphin.   You'll need an external controller, touch-controls are not yet supported.

The upcoming Shield TV isn't portable but has a faster 64b-CPU and GPU (TX1) so will be best for newer system emulators.

It includes a wireless controller and has better thermals for long-play gaming of high-end apps/games.   A 500GB-storage version is rumored.

That 500gb version is for devs unfortunately be nice to get my hands on one though. 

Hyperspin seem to be running great on my shield tablet btw. had to give up using retroarch as there was nowhere to put the new cores needed, does it need to be rooted? i don't have a data/data folder, android/obb/.com.retroarch has no files and so is the data/files folder one. No retro.cfg file, but when I run hyperspin the games boot and play fine lol 

But the whole thing is looking very promising! 

had to give up using retroarch as there was nowhere to put the new cores needed, does it need to be rooted? i don't have a data/data folder, android/obb/.com.retroarch has no files and so is the data/files folder one. No retro.cfg file, but when I run hyperspin the games boot and play fine lol

Not sure I follow. I've been using nightly Retroarch builds and they require you to download individual, desired cores using their in-app GUI (called 'manage cores'). Swipe to the right and it lists the latest, available cores.

No need to be rooted.

It should be possible to extend support for additional devices and drivers in the future although I'm not familiar with the JXD S7800b.  We'll see... it will be several months before this happens as we are focused on adding features that are currently missing.   

>>  Hyperpsin OTG would be awesome!!!

OTG?

I'm guessing very little scripting is required for launching games - Android apps already launch in fullscreen and controller mapping is usually automated. Is there any thought, though, of someday integrating HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher? I REALLY love some of the features of RocketLauncher (fades and bezels in particular). Would be awesome to have that capability with the Android build.

Launching emulators is easy -- simply need to define the name of the emulator and android launcher intent.  I provided both doc and sample .ini files that show the syntax and emulators I'm using.

re: Rocketlauncher... certainly possible, they are just additional features, but I'd need help.    Work involved will be impacted by how much of the code is available.

• 1 month later...

Complete newbie here, so I apologize in advance. Hyperspin on Android is a dream come true, thank you Rezennate and all those that work hard on this project! Being the complete newb, setting this up on my NVIDIA Shield TV Pro is DIFFICULT to say the least. Any chance in the final form it's going to be more user friendly such as Gamesome? I'm not a huge fan of RetroArch and have always used Robert Broglia's emulators so changing the .ini files is something very new to me. Anyways, thanks again for your hard work guys!

I hear you.   Complexity of the setup is definitely the biggest problem with the project right now.

The plan is to coordinate with improvements in hypersync/hyperbase improvements.  

One of the other tradeoffs/problems is the emulator setup.  It's straight-forward when it works but can be frustrating to debug.

Much of this is caused by thrash/updates/bugs in new Android emulator builds.    Hopefully with time, each of the authors will sort things.

Fortunately, Robert Broglia's emulators work particularly well and have a simple, straight-forward settings syntax.  

Much of my time is being spent working with developers of emulators that don't work as smoothly yet.

Archived