Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

bezels for mame

fshgrind

I attached an image to what it looks like when i turn bezels on.  How do i get the display to not be so small?  Ideally, what I want is the actual playable display to be the full height of the monitor, and then i just want to add the left and right bar bezel.  does this make sense?   thanks.

post-59611-0-24104600-1431478711_thumb.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I absolutely hate the bezels that cut down screensize myself.

Try the downloads from this tutorial vid from Austin.

I believe that one has the download for the bezels which only fill the sides, while leaving the full screen/ratio intact.

Although if I remeber right he doesn't actually tell you how to set them up though.

Hi,

This is my suggestion:

Take a look on the FTP.  There are tons of HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher bezels for about all the games that have native MAME bezels.

The folder is not in the correct place and needs to be moved, but check here: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels".

Looks like you are running a 16x9 aspect on your monitor, so look in here first: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels/Approved/16x9/Bezels/MAME".

Then look in: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels/Submissions Open/Ashurax/Mame".

And don't forget to use a _Default for those that don't have individual bezels.

Thanks,

Ron

I attached an image to what it looks like when i turn bezels on.  How do i get the display to not be so small?  Ideally, what I want is the actual playable display to be the full height of the monitor, and then i just want to add the left and right bar bezel.  does this make sense?   thanks.

Hi,

This is my suggestion:

Take a look on the FTP.  There are tons of HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher bezels for about all the games that have native MAME bezels.

The folder is not in the correct place and needs to be moved, but check here: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels".

Looks like you are running a 16x9 aspect on your monitor, so look in here first: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels/Approved/16x9/Bezels/MAME".

Then look in: "/Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels/Submissions Open/Ashurax/Mame".

And don't forget to use a _Default for those that don't have individual bezels.

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks for that.  Worked out well.  Guess my next question is it possible to make the playable screen size bigger?  for instance, check out the attached.  how can  i get it so that it is the full length of my screen?  thanks!

post-59611-0-08872000-1431653632_thumb.png

Make a new bezel to suit what you want. Or like Jeremy turn off or set "Full screen bezel" in HLRLHQ and use the bezel change key to switch. If you keep pressibg the bezel change key it will eventually go FullScreen. 

Ok, I guess I Thought there was some magic button so that the playable view would go full screen but still use the same bezel.  but it sounds like that isn't possible?  I love the artwork and want to use it, but just want to be able to take advantage of my monitor.  I still want to use the left and right borders but the little borders on the top and bottom are killing me (like in the op attachment).  That's just the way it is then?

I think they thought you were talking about the side bezels. When a bezel has the top/bottom border all the way around it, it seems you're stuck with it, which is why so many bezels are useless. I really don't understand why anyone would make them that way.

The ones in Austins video that I linked above has widescreen side-only bezels (horizontal & vertical)without a useless top/bottom border ruining the game. Did you try my link? I'll also warn you not to grab the ones in his Neo-Geo video. Those ones have a massive top/bottom border that cuts the playable screen size way down.

You could probably throw one of those into Photoshop to use as a template to create your own as well.

Are you talking about the sliver at the top and bottom?

There are some without that.  The screen goes all the way to the top and bottom with art on the sides.

You just gotta dig.

Thanks,

Ron

Ok, I guess I Thought there was some magic button so that the playable view would go full screen but still use the same bezel.  but it sounds like that isn't possible?  I love the artwork and want to use it, but just want to be able to take advantage of my monitor.  I still want to use the left and right borders but the little borders on the top and bottom are killing me (like in the op attachment).  That's just the way it is then?

Back on the old site my sig would take you to some custom bezels I made for Widescreen. They're in my folder on the FTP. I've got generic MAME ones and I'll post them here so you can see them.  There was also a site called Cooleywire that had bezels designed specifically for games... pac-man, donkey kong ones... they look great. I'd provide the link but it's since been taken down. Anyways, I've got them in my FTP as well.

I think the bezels are really intended to be used with a cabinet. You don't miss the lost screen real estate, because you're usually viewing a couple feet away from the screen.

That said, I even love them on my HTPC. Their size is optimized to the game you're playing. I prefer playing older consoles/arcade games in their original aspect ratios which the bezels accommodate beautifully.

I think the bezels are really intended to be used with a cabinet. You don't miss the lost screen real estate, because you're usually viewing a couple feet away from the screen.

That said, I even love them on my HTPC. Their size is optimized to the game you're playing. I prefer playing older consoles/arcade games in their original aspect ratios which the bezels accommodate beautifully.

Not for me. I play on a cabinet and even a tiny bit of top/bottom bezel equals a large loss in screen area percentage wise. It's very noticeable and the games stay at their aspect ratio without them. Maybe if I were playing on a 50" or 60" TV I wouldn't mind... actually I probably would Ha!

Nice. I checked for bezels on the FTP and didn't find any of those.

What is the template for making these? Hyperspin doesn't like 1080p, so what is the trick to getting sharp HD bezels, do they need to be done in flash or something?

Roadrunner I just invaded your FTP to grab these, but it doesn't look like any of them have the config files they need. Or am I overlooking them.

Also are all of these bezels (even the game specific ones) Widescreen with no top or bottom bezels at all?

I suppose I could check them, but didn't want to download them all without knowing. Thanks.

Nice. I checked for bezels on the FTP and didn't find any of those.

What is the template for making these? Hyperspin doesn't like 1080p, so what is the trick to getting sharp HD bezels, do they need to be done in flash or something?

Unless your using the app to use bezels with Hyperspin then they are mainly made for RocketLauncher and you will need to use bezels that match your resolution.

Which resolution do you need? it sounds like you need specific default bezels made that are not game specific if you don't want top borders.

I don't mind creating the ini files for any of Roadrunners.

Oh and the location for the bulk of the bezels on the ftp is /Upload Here/_HyperLaunch Media/Bezels.

We do need to decide what is going to happen with those, hopefully once approved they can be put in the downloads section.

I created 16x9 and 16x10 for the ones I made. The cooleywire ones (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong etc) I think are all in 16x9 format.

I tested one of the cooleywire ones (no idea what that means btw) earlier because the res is 2833x1600 and it seemed to work fine.

I tested one of the cooleywire ones (no idea what that means btw) earlier because the res is 2833x1600 and it seemed to work fine.

cooleywire was the site I downloaded them from. They're no longer around. I'm trying to get into the FTP to look at my bezels but I'm having some issues logging in for some reason.

Thanks guys

I actually just transferred stuff to my work PC and made a few of my own to test. I just did them at 1080p.

I'll transfer them over to my cab and see if they work... I'll just try to copy/paste one of the other config files

Archived