Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How To Set Up HyperSpin on the Nvidia Shield (Beginners Guide)

Fromlostdays

How to Set Up Hyperspin on the Nvidia Sheild (Beginners Guide)

This is a very basic guide to get people started. I assume it will be deleted when better guides come out. You can skip to the bottom if you want to see just the steps listed without all of my banter. 

Alright, you’ve got you a new tablet and you’re ready to roll. Well, not exactly. There are a few things you need to do before you start moving any files from your PC to your Device.

First Steps On Our Device-

We need to access the Google Play Store from the device.

Step 1: In Google Play, search for “RetroArch”. Install the emulator.

Step 2: in Google Play, Search for “Hyperspin”. Install Hyperspin.

At this point, you may be tempted to launch Hyperspin from the device, but you will be wasting your time. It will not launch yet. Instead, we should put the device down and get back to our PC.

First Steps On Our PC-

In this section we’re going to go over some core structure, but I’m also going to be offering recommendations to slim down your installation. If, like me, you’re not trying to have full lists of every available wheel, you may want to consider slimming your install down. I’ll tell you how.

First, we want to navigate to the hyperspin website and download a fresh version of hyperspin. Download here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/5599-hyperspin-133-full-install/

We also want to make sure that we have Don’s Hyperspin Tools installed. Most of you already do, but if you do not it’s a google search away.

Step 3: Create a folder on your desktop named “Hyperspin”

Step 4: Extract contents of your new Hyperspin download into that folder.

Once this is done, we should start really considering what we want in our install. For instance, do we want to keep files like HyperSync and Hypertheme? You can delete them safely to save space. I also didn’t think I’d be using genres, so I deleted all the genre artwork. These are just examples of how you can slim your install down. What’s important is that you should do all of this while the Hyperspin folder is still on your desktop. It will make it much easier and faster. Next, we want to consider what games we want in our install. Which leads us to

Step 5: Open the Hyperspin folder, and then open the “Emulators” folder, and inside that directory create a folder named after your system name, for instance, “Nintendo Entertainment System”

Directory Structure: Hyperspin/Emulators/Nintendo Entertainment System

Step 6: Inside that folder, create another folder called “roms”.

Do not skip this step unless you want to manually edit inis, and I’m not even sure that will work. For now, its best to use to the default folder structure.

Directory Structure: Hyperspin/Emulators/Nintendo Entertainment System/roms  

Step 7: Inside the roms folder, place all of your unzipped roms. Repeat this process until you have all the systems you are planning to use.

Optional: If you are doing full lists, you may simply want to use the official XMLS. If you are doing partial lists, now is the time to break out Don’s Hyperspin Tools and start creating XMLS based off of your romsets. Place them in the Databases/System Name folders.

Finalizing Your Install:

Step 8: Navigate to the downloads section of the Hyperspin website, and under Hyperspin (Android). Link here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7809-settings-android-10may20157z/

Download this Settings pack. Unzip and copy over all of the inis in your new Hyperspin/Settings folder

Again, if you want to test out different directory structures by changing the inis, now is the time. I have not done any testing, but I can confirm that the default works. Editing Inis that already on your storage device can be a pain.

Step 9: Take your Hyperspin folder from your desktop and move it to where you want to store it on your device.

You can store it in the Root of either Internal Storage, or the root of your MicroSD card.

Open your device, open your Hyperspin Install, and open your games!

Last note, Hyperspin automatically works with your Sheild Controller, and fantastically so does RetroArch. This is a very rudimentary guide, and I am not savvy at all with this new awesome port yet, so you may want to create a separate thread with any questions. I assume this guide will be deleted as better ones are written.

Have fun!

Walter 

Steps:

Step 1: In Google Play, search for “RetroArch”. Install the emulator.

Step 2: in Google Play, Search for “Hyperspin”. Install Hyperspin.

Step 3: Create a folder on your desktop named “Hyperspin”

Step 4: Extract contents of your new Hyperspin download into that folder.

Step 5: Open the Hyperspin folder, and then open the “Emulators” folder, and inside that directory create a folder named after your system name, for instance, “Nintendo Entertainment System”

Step 6: Inside that folder, create another folder called “roms”

Step 7: Inside the roms folder, place all of your unzipped roms. Repeat this process until you have all the systems you are planning to use.

Step 8: Navigate to the downloads section of the Hyperspin website, and under Hyperspin (Android). Link here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7809-settings-android-10may20157z/

Download this Settings pack. Unzip and copy over all of the inis in your new Hyperspin/Settings folder

Step 9: Take your Hyperspin folder from your desktop and move it to where you want to store it on your device.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step 8: Navigate to the downloads section of the Hyperspin website, and under Hyperspin (Android). Link here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7809-settings-android-10may20157z/

Some additional tips on this step -- In the case you want to maintain your PC settings and *add* new Android settings, you can extract the settings pack to "Settings_Android" folder and the Android app will look in this folder first.

Also, if storage or available emulators would cause you to prefer a smaller list of wheels you can add an additional "Main Menu_Android.xml" file that defines the wheels you want on Android.   The app will check to see if this file exists first.

Thanks for helping with this!

This is very helpful, thanks a lot!

EDIT:

I just noticed: The Andoid_Settings you linked do not conform with your recommendation of naming/placing the rom files:

You say we are to unzip the roms (which to me means they have final extensions like gb, gg, smc bin etc.) and place them inside "Emulators/<System Name>/roms". Now after reviewing the settings-inis the extension Hyperspin looks for seems to be zip in almost any case (which also makes more sense to me storage wise) and for the Sega-Systems the path seems to be rather "Emulators/master system/roms <System name>/"

It took me some time to find out why nothing worked like it should, but now this makes perfect sense :-)

Perhaps you should tell the people to place the roms in the dir that is defined in the "appropriate" settings.ini to be as accurate as possible while this should remain understandable for anyone your really good tutorial aims at.

Another thing regarding the Shield Tablet/Portable and RetroArch: I always have problems with RetroArch freezing/Crashing when the roms are zipped AND located on the external SD-Card, since RetroArch seems to run into trouble extracting the roms in that directory. In this case it seems to me that using uncompressed roms work better. Also the .emu-Apps by Robert Broglia are not affected and run really well (worth their money while not meant as advertisement).

Thx again,

Technose

Any emulator app that supports 'launching of roms' from the command line will work.    Most emulators support this functionality, a few do not.    In the sample .ini files I posted, you can see several emulators listed as possible 'launch' candidates separated by "|".    It will attempt to launch the first emulator listed, if it's not installed, it will go to the next.    I have examples of syntax for various emulators posted here:   http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/8537-settings-android-emulator-settings/

If that can help someone, I use excellent Snes9x EX+ of Robert Broglia for snes and here is my "Super Nintendo Entertainment System.ini" folder (the first lines):

[exe info]
path=Hyperspin\Emulators\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\
rompath=/storage/sdcard1/ROMS/Super Nintendo/
userompath=true
exe=com.explusalpha.Snes9xPlus/com.imagine.BaseActivity
romextension=zip
parameters=
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true

I have hyperspin at the base of my sdcard1 and ROMS are in sdcard1/ROMS/Super Nintendo. I've all my roms in .zip format so don't forget to edit "romextension=zip"

Super Nintendo Entertainment System.rar

finally got mine working, but how can I exit retroarch with a button combination or with the back button to get back to hyperspin? I have to get into the retroarch menu and exit that way. not that bad but would be nice to exit with a button press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finally got mine working, but how can I exit retroarch with a button combination or with the back button to get back to hyperspin? I have to get into the retroarch menu and exit that way. not that bad but would be nice to exit with a button press.

The back button works but if you have changed any settings in the menu exit from the menu because your settings won't save.

• 1 month later...

I got this working so far on my NVIDIA SHIELD Portable. SNES would only work for me with SNES9X core.

My question is, how do I get retroarch to load without the gamepad overlay? I tried disabling it in the menu, but it comes back every time I launch a game.

I would also want to know where I can put the filters so I can use something line the HQ4x or SuperSai.

Grab the latest version of retroarch.   Retroarch currently auto-saves your config settings when you exit...all the way out through the Android menu.

So after turning off overlays in settings->onscreen-overlay menu, be sure to exit entirely of the app.   

The shader options are available once you're in a game, within 'quick menu' is a 'shader options' menu.

• 1 month later...

Whats the biggest HDD that anyone has used on the shield tv loaded with hyperspin.. I'm not sure what I can ask about getting roms so let me know if its not ok...  What is the  best place to get roms and videos complete sets .. I can find some here some there I want to find all the main stuff and not drive my self crazy finding Roms and Videos... THANKS

Hello all... I have a question about having one setup shared on my home network for windows and sheild TV.. Is this possible to share everything? can you set the paths up on the shield to get this to work I'm sure the windows will work also how about any lag issues with doing this.. Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I am trying to use hyperspin installed on an External USB drive. I had this working on a MicroSD, but the same setup on a USB gives me "missing rom" error.

does the rompath need to be changed for a USB even if its the same file structure?

does the rompath need to be changed for a USB even if its the same file structure?

MAYBE.. if you put the rom folder inside your Hyperspin folder, (i.e. /storage/usbdrive/Hyperspin/emulators/GameSystem/roms/), the rompath can be "Emulators/GameSystem/roms/"  and it should work regardless of /sdcard, usbdrive, etc.

Another thing to confirm is that your usbdrive is named USBDRIVE*... I've seen a few scenarios where Android names a drive something odd.

Another thing regarding the Shield Tablet/Portable and RetroArch: I always have problems with RetroArch freezing/Crashing when the roms are zipped AND located on the external SD-Card, since RetroArch seems to run into trouble extracting the roms in that directory. In this case it seems to me that using uncompressed roms work better. Also the .emu-Apps by Robert Broglia are not affected and run really well (worth their money while not meant as advertisement).

Thx again,

Technose

Do you know how to make this work? I have the roms stored on external as card as zip and it always crashes when launch with hyperspin. Within retroarch it works fine in zip format.

Archived