Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big HLSL changes in 0.167, just released today... FYI. I haven't had a chance to even look at it, yet.

-HLSL changes [imJezze]
* Unified HLSL render pipline for raster and vector graphics
* simplified draw call of render pass functions
* reduced number of used render targets from 7 to 4 (2 native and 2
pre-scaled)
* made render pass functions (nearly) independent from each other
* unified render pipeline for raster and vector graphics, which means
that all effects are now also available for vector graphics
(except scan-lines)
* removed/replaced simple.fx by primary.fx
* removed CU_PHOSPHOR_IGNORE uniform, which was only used in phosphor
pass function and is now directly set
* added CU_TARGET_DIMS uniform based on the current render target
* added CU_QUAD_DIMS uniform based on the current full screen polygon
quad
* removed pre-scale knowledge from shaders
* fixed DX9 related half pixel offset in most shaders
* reduced shadow mask color bleeding
* fixed defocus strength with different pre-scales
* added slight noise to bloom effect to reduce the color banding of
lower bloom levels
* fixed position of reflection effect when screen is rotated or
flipped
* fixed roundness and size of rounded corners in any aspect ratio
* added distortion pass, which is applied after the bloom pass and
moved curvature, vignetting, rounded corners and reflection effect
to this pass
* fixed bloom stair-step artifacts when screen is curved
* added smooth border effect and option, its amount is limited by the
amount of rounded corners
* added bloom overdrive effect and options, this effect allows to
overdrive pure colors like red, green and blue to become more
brighter
* merged vector and raster bloom options, use vector.ini or
raster.ini to distinguish
* added raster.ini and lcd.ini to parse_standard_inis()
* added bounds() and screen_bounds() getter to layout_view
* added current_view() getter to render_target
* many other small changes and refactoring
* fixed vector intensity
* fixed vector flicker
* replace beam width by beam width min. and beam width max. width, this
makes it possible to create a linear dynamic beam width by the amount
of intensity of the beam
* added beam intensity weight, this adds an exponential factor to the
dynamic beam width (values greater than 0 will push larger intensities
more than smaller intensities)
* fixed ratio of "vector points" (zero-length lines)

So I never did get around to starting that new thread... maybe someday. Anyway, here's a zip including new INI files for MAMEUIFX 0.167 (HLSL settings only). I compared the old files with the new default INI before copying specific settings over. Some minor changes that will need further investigating. Anything new has been preserved, untouched in the included files.

At first glance vector games look a lot better when using HLSL. Previously I was just turning HLSL off to get that ultra-sharp/blooming vector look. When I removed the shader file, it looks great now. I'm curious what others think.

As always, make a backup of your current files before trying these.

Thanks griffin, I've no idea what most of those changes me but look forward to checking it out later.

EDIT:

Just had a quick play around with it and I still don't like any HLSL with vector, it's just too grey and washed out, vector should be nice and bright, so I stuck with the below settings.

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
antialias                 1
beam_width_min            1.1
beam_width_max            1.5
beam_intensity_weight     0
flicker                   0.20

Griffin's main HLSL settings do look good. Next up GLSL.

Has anyone else noticed that HLSL for vertical games looks terrible when RL bezels are enabled? Terrible to the point where I want to just turn it off completely, and it doesn't seem to be game specific. 1942 and pacman are good examples. Any resizing of the game window at all just blurs the picture horribly.

Does GLSL have this issue, too?

EDIT/Update: It does not... which is much nicer. Bezels absolutely make the machine for me. Looks like I'm switching to GLSL for vertical (at least). I do still like the phosphorus look of HLSL better, but the vertical performance might be a deal breaker.

Hey everyone, great thread going on in here. New to MAME but steadily coming along with all the versions and updates etc... its hard to keep on track haha...

Currently I am using MAME 0.166 and Rocket launcher. All I need to know is what would the best HLSL settings for the version of MAME I am using. I have not yet explored MAMEUIFX as I am still getting my head around most of the settings in MAME. 

I downloaded Griffins518 HLSL .ini settings and I copied and pasted only the HLSL settings and copied over the artwork and put that in the MAME artwork folder. 

Question: Have I don't this correctly and why when I load up Crazy Baloon I can still a background from the rom check screen. It looks like screen burn and I just wanted to know if these setting are correct or if the problem is just hardware related because I am using a P4 2.8ghz machine with 3GB Ram and X1600 Pro Radeon card, Win 32Bit. (shitty I know lol)

All in all I think I am on to a winner here just need to make sure I have the right settings for the version of MAME I am using.

A  BIG "THANK YOU" to all the people involved in helping out with the HLSL settings, it really makes me excited to be getting into emulation as a whole. I just love the look of a real CRT and when I have become comfortable with LCD, I have a few CRT monitors I wanna hook up. Am I right in thinking having a CRT monitor will also increase the look of an authentic Arcade machine?

:thumbsup:  :thanks:  :thumbsup:

When I have hlsl settings on in rocketlauncherui, it causes mspacman to cut off the very top of the high scores.  Any idea how I would fix this?

Your hlsl settings look great tho, I really like it.  (Griffin mspacman)

I've never had this issue... what resolution are you running?

Edit:  I got it working.  I had to use mame 162. :P

My desktop resolution is 1900x1200.

When I turn off the hlsl in the mame module, it centers the game again.  I've even tinkered with the vertical orientation, but then it just shoves the bottom of the game off the screen.

What should I check next?  Should I change the resolution?  Change something inside mame? 

Thanks for the response :)

Update:  Ok, that was the issue.  I was using Mame 167.  I had to use Mame 162, imagine that?  These hlsl are for mame 162. :P  I just thought it might work for 167. 

It is in the correct orientation now. 

How do I change the hlsl settings to work with 167?

I just tried your hlsl (for ghouls and ghosts), with street fighter 2 champion edition.  It looks so nice. :)  I just copied the ini and changed the name to sf2ce.

What? You're saying in the new MAME 167 you can set HLSL on a per game basis instead of one .ini that sets HLSL for all games?

Thought you could always do that...just rename hlsl.ini to gamename.ini and put in hlsl folder.

Really? I asked that question several months ago and was told it wasn't possible.

EDIT: Just checked and the HLSL folder only holds the graphics effects files. Maybe you meant in the ini folder?

Update:  Ok, that was the issue.  I was using Mame 167.  I had to use Mame 162, imagine that?  These hlsl are for mame 162. :P  I just thought it might work for 167. 

It is in the correct orientation now. 

How do I change the hlsl settings to work with 167?

Check my last post with the zip attachment. Those files were based on 0.167 (MAMEUIFX, but you could copy individual settings over to regular MAME).

Been doing it for years, I have 4 in my ini folder, mame, vertical, vector and horizont.ini. You can of course go mad and have per game ini's as well.

I've had to do this for a couple of games which don't play well with monitor refresh sync. Rampage is one of those, Star Wars is another.

Been doing it for years, I have 4 in my ini folder, mame, vertical, vector and horizont.ini. You can of course go mad and have per game ini's as well.

I knew about the general ones. Had no idea about the per game ones since I asked and had a couple people respond that you couldn't do that.

Check my last post with the zip attachment. Those files were based on 0.167 (MAMEUIFX, but you could copy individual settings over to regular MAME).

I just checked those settings out and everything was extremely blurred out. Didn't play around with it much though since our previous HLSL settings still seem to work fine in 167.

You also put your entire mame.ini in the zip instead of just your HLSL settings.

Heck, in this thread:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45026

which has some great settings in it, one person even wrote a script to auto-generate per game and per platform ini settings. Primarily to deal with different gammas in the original games.

Nice I'll check it out. Looks like that threads a few years old though.

Any chance you or anyone else can post a few pics with thence settings? Would enjoy seeing what they are looking like nowadays.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any chance you or anyone else can post a few pics with thence settings? Would enjoy seeing what they are looking like nowadays.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't played much with it yet, but I'm still using my setting from MAME 162 that I posted earlier in this thread. post #33 and #38

Archived