Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Samorite's Bartop Arcade Build

Samorite

Working Progress....

After playing with Mame and Hyperspin I decided to have a go at building my own arcade cabinet did some researching and decided to go PC based instead of pcb board like Jamma or Pandora so I got my hands on a Aaeon all in one pc with Windows XP sp3 installed. 

PC.jpg?raw=1

I looked around for a flat pack cabinet and ended up with one from Rich's Bartop Arcade's as I wanted something small to have set up in the dining room, the parcel arrived well packed a couple days later 

Parcel.jpg?raw=1

So I opened up and 1st thoughts was VERY small but I did want a bar top set up so that’s what I got! The mdf was cut well so I set too with my sanding block and in an hour or so I had all the panels & edges nice and smooth.

I have decided to go all black with the cab and vinyl wrap after so I got a tin of mdf paint satin back and set off painting all panels both sides and edges. This too longer than I thought as the mdf sucked up the paint like a good un so I ended up with a second coat, If I was to do again I would use an mdf sealer coat 1st

Paint1.jpg?raw=1Paint2.jpg?raw=1

Speakers, I ordered an amp/speaker kit but the flat pack kit won’t accommodate the speakers as there 100mm so I will mount them on the cab top panel 

Speakers.jpg?raw=1

WOOT!! Buttons have arrived! Got my kit from Arcade World with a IPac-2 board 

buttons.jpg?raw=1

After watching Simply Austin's Bartop Build Guide I have ordered hinges, edging strip & monitor screws 

After looking at other builds and the stick on t-moulding doesn’t do it for me and you're limited to chrome or black so I am going for the blue ½ t-moulding from Arcade World. That means I need to router the slot? No worries I have just purchase a Dermal 4000 (Please don’t tell the Mrs) with the adaptors I will be able to cut a slot for the t-moulding to fit

So thats where I am upto, going to cut holes and router the t-moulding later today  will post my results 

Arrrrrrrrr! Disaster...... I couldn't control the Dremel well enough and made a right mess lol, so its wood filler sandpaper and stick on trim :(

dremel.jpg?raw=1

Tbh when I was attempting it crossed my mind that the t-moulding would split the mdf as it was so thin after routing so it may be a blessing in disguise  

After filling and making good my poor t-moulding grove attempt I cut holes for my speakers and built up the cab, took about 1 hour was a bit fiddly on my own but I am happy with the result

speakers1.jpg?raw=1cab.jpg?raw=1cutout.jpg?raw=1

Started to fit amp and pc unit, I have decided to cut out the back door so I have access to amp and pc usb/power

amppc.jpg?raw=1doorcut.jpg?raw=1

That's looking really good!! Watch the heat from the pc and monitor! I see you have air holes and slots but I would do two fans one for fresh air in and one for warm air going out!! Maybe just one coming in the air will push itself out the top!! What theme are you going with as far as art goes??

That's looking really good!! Watch the heat from the pc and monitor! I see you have air holes and slots but I would do two fans one for fresh air in and one for warm air going out!! Maybe just one coming in the air will push itself out the top!! What theme are you going with as far as art goes??

I am going to hinge the back door so I could put inlet and exhaust fans on the slots will get it up and running and then take a look, art wise i was looking at this

GFX.jpg?raw=1

and then repeat on the pedestal, what ya think ?

Nice.

Windows XP? Will HS 1.4 and the latest RLauncher run on Xp?

Good question, not tried it yet may need to rectro the install to get it to run. I have xp running mala 1.4 atm but wanted the HyperSpin front end

I didn't realize you were going to put it on a pedestal!! You didn't want a full size arcade cab or you just wanted to be able to take it with you easily or move it easily??  As far as the  art goes I'm not a big fan of multicade  artwork but to each his own. It will definitely give it a pop of color!! Keep posting pics interested how you will attach the whole thing to the pedestal!!

The pedestal was a bit of a compromise as it will live in the dining room and the mrs wasn't too keen, Not 100% on art as of yet I really wanted a HyperSpin theme but havent seen anything out there as of yet

%24_57.JPG?raw=1

• 4 weeks later...

Have the tried the sound yet from your speakers. I was never happy with the sound out the top of my bartop, allways sounded muffled...couple of 1 inch tweeters sorted it out though mounted in the panel under the marquee

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well its been a while but with work commitments and 5 weeks out with a ruptured disk I finally finished the pedestal

I am happy with the finished job may needed to line up the ped and bartop images better but didn't notice till after lol

Ended swapping out the xp pc for a i3/W10 as it wasn't upto the job

finished%202.jpg?raw=1

finished3.jpg?raw=1

finished%201.jpg?raw=1

Very cool... wait, are your buttons curved the opposite way from normal?

Also since you went with the Ghouls'n Ghosts Theme you should make sure to grab my custom Ghouls'n Ghosts'n Goblins wheel.

https://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14349-creating-a-ghoulsn-ghostsn-goblins-wheel/

Although it looks like you went with a 4:3 instead of widescreen so you'll need to convert the artwork to 4:3

Very cool... wait, are your buttons curved the opposite way from normal?

Also since you went with the Ghouls'n Ghosts Theme you should make sure to grab my custom Ghouls'n Ghosts'n Goblins wheel.

Posted in your thread thats cool!!

And yeh for my fat fingers lol

Archived