Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nintendo DS - Top 100 English Games XML

vaderag

UPDATE:

Final Version 2.1 Available Here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11247-nintendo-ds-top-100-games/

Matching Media:

Wheel Pack: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11260-nintendo-ds-top-100-games-xml-matching-wheel/

Box Pack: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11261-nintendo-ds-top-100-games-xml-matching-box-pack/

Screenshot Pack: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11263-nintendo-ds-top-100-games-xml-matching-screenshot-pack/

Default Theme: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11262-nintendo-ds-system-theme/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was pondering over my Nintendo DS collection, the lack of easily available media for it, and I realised that there was a lot of rubbish in that collection...

With that in mind, i scoured the interwebs for the top 100 (or so) games for this system to build an easily accessible list that isn't overpopulated

It may not be for everyone, and I'm sure people will disagree with the picks, but this includes all games in the 'Top' lists from Games Radar, Giant Bomb and Dorkly, plus a selection from the top scored Metacritic games (78+). Additionally if there is one from a series included in those lists, I have generally included the others (although not all)

Either way, I feel this is a pretty comprehensive top list for this system...

Based upon current hyperlist.

Interested to hear anyones thoughts!

TODO:

Add Rating Data to the XML

DS Games Top - Games Radar / Giant Bomb / Metacritic (Selection from 78+)
Games Only, no apps
------------
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Chrono Trigger
Contact
Contra 4
Contra 4
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy XII
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Flower, Sun, and Rain
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Lunar Knights
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario & Luigi: Parters in Time
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Mario Kart DS
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2
Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Moon
N+
New Super Mario Bros.
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Ninjatown
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justic for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Pokemon Black
Pokemon Black 2
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon HeartGold
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon SoulSilver
Pokemon White
Pokemon White 2
Pokemon Conquest
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
Puzzle Quest Galactrix
Puzzle Quest 2
Radiant Historia
Retro Game Challenge
Rhythm Heaven
Scribblenauts
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Sonic Rush
Space Invaders Extreme
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach
Super Scribblenauts
Tetris DS
The World Ends With You
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
WarioWare D.I.Y
WarioWare: Touched
Yoshi's Island DS

Metacritic Additions
--------------------
Bangai-O Spirtis
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Bookworm
Bomberman Land Touch!
Bomberman Land Touch! 2
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Clubhouse Games
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Kingdom Hearts - Re-coded
Kirby - Squeak Squad
Lunar Knights
Mario Party DS
Mega Man ZX
Meteos
Peggle: Dual Shot
Plants vs. Zombies
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Sonic Colors
Sonic Rush Adventure
Star Fox Command
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise
Worms: Open Warfare 2

This is similiar to the approach I took for all my systems.

First I got any game that I personally just loved
Then I got all the 'iconic' games for each system. (Mario, Sonic, etc)
Then I added anything in the top lists I found online (then tested new ones and got rid of them if they sucked)
Then added things in the same manner off of Hidden Gems and underrated lists.

Later one I am going to add english translations that are necessary.

It feels silly to me to have ALL the games for any system. It's not like ALL games were good. lol

Very true - in most of my wheels I have gone with all and use Favorites, but i'm thinking i might take this approach with others...

I have a minor update to this (I'd missed some Yoshi games), but i'm going to wait until I get a minute to go through and add some of the rating / publisher data before i push again.

Also, as of last night I now have a complete set of matching wheels for this set, and a complete set of 3D boxart (I had to create some myself as the wheel set on here was missing them and couldnt find the boxart)

Additionally I have a theme which shows a screenshot of each game, and matching screenshots for 90% of the games.

Most of this was sourced from elsewhere in a set I found, but was using a VERY old naming convention (i.e. just numbers) - a bit of renaming, tweaking, matching old XML and creating a few myself and I got there!!

If anyone is interested in this then I'm happy to share on here if i can manage to get it under 200mb under size...

Okay guys - this is now a TOP 100 List :)

UPDATE 2.1 FINAL RELEASED - Download Here

Changelog:

• Made this a definitive *TOP 100*
  • Added Manufacturer / Year / Genre and Rating
    • Manufacturer is Developer from Wikipedia
    • Year is US release year from Wikipedia
    • Genres are simplified from Wikipedia
    • Ratings from ESRB website
  • Pokemon Changes
    • Re-ordered Pokemon Games to match release order and pairings
    • Removed Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (since Platinum is an enhanced remake of both)
  • Added in some games that I originally missed (notably Yoshi games)
  • Tweaked Game Names to more accurately match the current release names (mostly removal of tags)
  • Removals
    • Removed Puzzle Quest Galactrix and Puzzle Quest 2 (leaving just Challenge of the Warlords, the most highly rated)
    • Removed Scribblenauts - Super Scribblenauts is effectively the same game but more advanced
    • Removed the less well reviewed Bomberman Land Touch! 2
    • Removed Plants vs. Zombies to get it down to the 100. There are better versions of this game out there on other systems if you want this for your HS Setup.

To Do: Change Professor Layton Last Specter for Spectre's Call (EU Version)
- Why? Because I'm British and the misspelling is annoying as hell

NB: I probably won't release that version, as this is the more unified list  ;)  I stuck it up anyway - it's clearly labelled British Version ;)

is the link broken? or is it on my end?

You're right - it was broken.

Fixed now :) (http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11247-nintendo-ds-top-100-games/ for reference)

One question I have and am hoping someone can help me with...

I assumed that the game order would work like the system order - i.e. pull the list in order, but it seems to have reverted to alphabetical order anyway...

How can I force the wheel to show in the order that is listed in the XML? 

Awesome list and thanks so much for organizing the media. I really appreciate the work guys!

Ha, no 'guys' on this one, just one guy, me (with a bit of keyboard bashing from my 7month old baby!!) ;)

That said, I don't take credit for all the media - maybe 5% of it was made by me!

Either way, very glad you found it useful :) I'd have probably cut some corners if it was just for me!!

Having scoured the list of what's been left out of this top 100, I really feel happy that this is a solid list of the DS games worth dedicating time to!!

Just about to post an update to this (Both Standard and British version) which adds indexes into the XML

REASON: I discovered the wheel was not showing in the XML order.

Discussion on this thread helped get to the bottom of it: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14578-how-do-i-re-order-a-wheel/

So - if you want (as I do) the Pokemon games showing Chronologically, Okamiden showing under O, and a couple of other orderings that make more sense, please get the new versions, and set use_indexes=true in your Nintendo DS.ini :)

Just about to post an update to this (Both Standard and British version) which adds indexes into the XML

REASON: I discovered the wheel was not showing in the XML order.

Discussion on this thread helped get to the bottom of it: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/14578-how-do-i-re-order-a-wheel/

So - if you want (as I do) the Pokemon games showing Chronologically, Okamiden showing under O, and a couple of other orderings that make more sense, please get the new versions, and set use_indexes=true in your Nintendo DS.ini :)

I'm going to need to look at this some.

I have a custom way of ordering games myself.

1.) All roman numerals are switched to 0-9, the art can be fancy, but not the data.

2.) Anything that was a sequel is now PROPERLY listed as so in the files. (Example, It now goes Tomb Raider 3 - Adventures of Lara Croft>Tomb Raider 4 - Chronicles>Tomb Raider 5 - The Last Revelation>Tomb Raider 6 - Angel of Darkness.... you get the picture. I had to do this even more intensely with Pokemon, because my GB wheels are combined...

Pokemon 1 - Red

Pokemon 1 - Blue

Pokemon 1 - Green

Pokemon 1x - Yellow

Pokemon 2 - Silver

Pokemon 2 - Gold

Pokemon 2x - Platinum. and so on..

OR I added things like... instead of Target: Renegade, it's not more sensibly "Renegade 2 - Target Renegade" So the sequel to renegade shows up in R instead of T

I'm going to need to look at this some.

I have a custom way of ordering games myself.

1.) All roman numerals are switched to 0-9, the art can be fancy, but not the data.

2.) Anything that was a sequel is now PROPERLY listed as so in the files. (Example, It now goes Tomb Raider 3 - Adventures of Lara Croft>Tomb Raider 4 - Chronicles>Tomb Raider 5 - The Last Revelation>Tomb Raider 6 - Angel of Darkness.... you get the picture. I had to do this even more intensely with Pokemon, because my GB wheels are combined...

Pokemon 1 - Red

Pokemon 1 - Blue

Pokemon 1 - Green

Pokemon 1x - Yellow

Pokemon 2 - Silver

Pokemon 2 - Gold

Pokemon 2x - Platinum. and so on..

OR I added things like... instead of Target: Renegade, it's not more sensibly "Renegade 2 - Target Renegade" So the sequel to renegade shows up in R instead of T

That all seems a bit weird to me... ;)

If you use the indexed one that I must recently updated then all games show in the order intended, without changing the name.

I don't want a 1 or 2 in a game name that wasn't there in the original name. Similarly if roman numerals were used, keep them. Roman numerals aren't fancy, they're a choice the developer had made. I want the original names showing - ordering can be fixed using the XML

Archived